collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1266
Re: Road Nats 2017
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2017, 21:47 »
So the farm boy Yves Lampaert is Belgian champion ITT :win

Wout Van Aert is eventually 6th, just ahead of Tim Wellens. Nice for Gaetan Bille make it top10. Sad that Sep Vanmarcke did not race it.

Belgian Nats : Barometer

(Het Nieuwsblad – 19 June)

From Switzerland, the Netherlands or Bruges, all roads lead to Antwerp where next Sunday the Belgian Nats bunch race is raced. The cycling redaction are giving their favourites.

[I won’t be able to translate what they are saying about every rider I’m afraid. Will try to translate as much as I can. I’m surprised they are rating De Plus so high, not denying he’s in good form but the route is definitely not in his favour]

Philippe Gilbert (5 stars)

Stage win in Cham and also impressive in the stage to Schaffhausen last Saturday [really? Not more than Van Avermaet or Wellens]. Philippe Gilbert drew the peloton on a line, the perfect preparation for sprinter Matteo Trentin who did not reach further than 3rd place.
In this form, the dual Belgian champion Philippe Gilbert will still be one of the favourites to defend his title even though he does not want to forget anything.
The nats, we will see. Everybody says it’s flat. 2006? Yeah back then I was 2nd in Antwerp. But yeah it rained that day. Now the sun will shine. So you cannot say a lot about it. But my form is good. No stress.

Greg Van Avermaet (4 stars)

Greg Van Avermaet is still hungry after a very anonymous Tour of Switzerland. Beforehand he announced that it was no aim as such but a 15th place in Bern as best result, the balance is very meager.
It was no super tour. Just like the Dauphiné libéré last year. Back then I also did not get any results. For any reasons the Tour of France suits me better
Yet the Olympic champion will start next Saturday as one of the top favourite. Greg Van Avermaet has claimed that he will go for a sprint
After all I’m among the best ten riders in Belgium on such route. No I will not attack. I dare sprint.

Laurens De Plus (4 stars)

The Belgian hope for GT currently rides with super legs. Very strong out of the Tour of Italy and this as a 21 year old novice. Last Saturday he was the best man in the queen stage of the Ster ZLM Tour. Wasted a bit too much strengths and it cost him the victory in La Gileppe. The Belgian nats are flat, not his route but he’s got guts and likes attacking. In an unpredictable championship, these are great assets.
We will keep the three colours within the team. I will help Philippe Gilbert for #3 or else another teammate and who knows I can capitalise on that. My form is great. Last Saturday I really had a top day. I’m better and better.

Wout Van Aert (3 stars)

The dual cyclocross World champion proved that he’s more than just an underdog after his victory at the Elfstedenronde. The Campiner was not 3rd at the ITT of the Tour of Belgium for nothing before winning the Tour of Limburg previous Sunday.

The objective is the ITT Nats next Thursday in Chimay. I first thought that the bunch race in Antwerp would be a lottery but after studying the two cobbled sections each lap, I have to revise my opinion. The long distance (238km) is not exactly an advantage for me.

Jens Keukeleire (3 stars)

The rider of Bruges is an exceptional case. Just like Laurens De Vreese (Astana) and Serge Pauwels (Dimension Data) is starting as a lone rider. It should not necessarily be a disadvantage, as is shown by Stijn Devolder in the past. After 200km is Jens Keukeleire just like Greg Van Avermaet a major contender in the sprint, just see Ghent-Wevelgem this year. Jens Keukeleire showed in the Tour of Belgium that he’s picobello. For the nats as much as for the Tour of France.
I don’t rule out the possibility of a title but we are still far from it

Jasper De Buyst (3 stars)

In good condition and full of confidence after his victory at the Arrow of Heist a fortnight ago.
The nats are an objective. It’s been in my mind for a while. I think the route is taylor-made for me. I won’t wait for the sprint because it will be a breakaway race. We have a strong team and I sure am among the possible winners. I really found my place on the road. The track is past time. I will focus on the road in the years to come, even though the Madison is Olympic again.

Timothy Dupont (3 stars)

Last year he was the international king of victories but right now the record is still at zero. In the final stage of the Ster ZLM Tour, he sprinted to 4th place after the sprinters of the Tour of France Kittel, Groenewegen and Greipel. Even on Friday he was 4th, which accounts for hope for the sprint bomb of Bredene:
I gradually find my best legs back. I’ll be top newt Sunday. I think it’ll be a sprint with a smaller group. It will be a matter hanging up but it can be. Getting the three colours of Belgium will make this frightening rotten year forgotten.

Jürgen Roelandts (3 stars)

Jürgen Roelandts had a difficult week in Switzerland due to an allergical reaction. The first stage was in the top 2 worst day on the bike ever for him, as he says. He did not race the final ITT either. Jürgen Roelandts was already Belgian champion in 2008 but has already lost the habit of winning for a while. Within the team he’s also less of a leader then brother-in-law Jens Debusschere.
I do not expect a sprint. Few teams have interest in it. So nobody will keep it under control for that.

Sep Vanmarcke (3 stars)

Sep Vanmarcke made a step ahead in Switzerland. He was again “among the people” after stomach and intestine problems kept him from the bike longer than expected. For the moment it’s the highest Sep Vanmarcke can ambition. He said he did not specifically worked for the nats. Yesterday he said he did not even know about the route.
There are cobbles, no? Are they good or bad? I did not make the nats a specific aim, certainly not. Besides only Tom Van Asbroeck is my teammate.

Oliver Naesen (2 stars)

The rider of Berlaar kept deliberately low profile but cannot hide that he has the same condition as in spring. With Jan Bakelants he of course only has one teammate but on the other hand he’s got some flair for the right breakaway [well he missed it at the Elfstedenronde?!]
With every time this cobble section and still enough kilometers I think that it won’t be a bunch sprint. In my opinion Greg Van Avermaet, Philippe Gilbert, Jens Keukeleire and Jasper Stuyven stand out a bit but a championship is now well a very weird race where you need to be careful right from the start.

Jasper Stuyven (2 stars)

It still goes around Jasper Stuyven. After the Tour of Italy, in which he nearly missed a stage win, the rider of Leuven did it quietly. Only the Hammer Series [grr] and the Kanton Aargau GP were on his agenda
I cannot grumble about my form. I did other strong training. I’m still riding loosely before Brussels-Ingooigem. Is it true that Oliver Naesen says you need to watch out for me? (laughs) He always does that.
[laughing out loud] says the dark horse of this nats who was 6th in the 2014 one in Wielsbeke, as a neopro but did not play any role ever after.

Jens Debusschere (2 stars)
Bert Van Lerberghe (2 stars)
Yves Lampaert (1 star)
Edward Theuns (1 star)
Kenny Dehaes (1 star)
Tim Wellens (1 star)
Jan Bakelants (1 star)
Stijn Devolder (0 star)
Thomas De Gendt (0 star)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3256
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #61 on: June 23, 2017, 18:01 »
    Domingos Gonçalves #boavista won today's *pt Time Trial, beating former U23 champion Rafael Reis.

Defending champion Nelson Oliveira #movistar didn't take part because... I sh*t you not... his Dad forgot to pick up his dorsal.

At least, that's my current understanding. I'll post more when I see it.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

• ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #62 on: June 23, 2017, 18:08 »
    Domingos Gonçalves #boavista won today's *pt Time Trial, beating former U23 champion Rafael Reis.

Defending champion Nelson Oliveira #movistar didn't take part because... I sh*t you not... his Dad forgot to pick up his dorsal.

At least, that's my current understanding. I'll post more when I see it.

Follow up... The organisation changed the times, announced it at the riders' meeting, but Oliveira apparently didn't notice.

I'll admit to being confused myself that the racing was nearly finished when I logged on to follow it earlier. But my title wasn't at stake, so it didn't bother me so much). Given that Oliveira has lost his title and, possibly, his shot at a TdF berth, he'll be kicking himself, I'm sure!

• ReplyReply

• pastronef

• National Champion
    • Liked: 550
    « Reply #63 on: June 23, 2017, 20:07 »
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1422
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    « Reply #64 on: June 23, 2017, 21:00 »
    [quote author]
    Follow up... The organisation changed the times, announced it at the riders' meeting, but Oliveira apparently didn't notice.

I'll admit to being confused myself that the racing was nearly finished when I logged on to follow it earlier. But my title wasn't at stake, so it didn't bother me so much). Given that Oliveira has lost his title and, possibly, his shot at a TdF berth, he'll be kicking himself, I'm sure!

[/quote]
    OUCH...

double OUCH... I had him as a prediction. Couldn't understand when I saw the results, thanks for the explanation
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5177
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1719
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #66 on: June 25, 2017, 11:11 »
    The Eurosport player (UK) has the French champs live from 1-15pm to 4-15pm.
    So, the same as French Eurosport.
    90 minute highlights on tv at 8-30pm.

UK champs highlights, also on Eurosport 1, just before, at 7-30pm.

Also down on the UK Eurosport player for live coverage, at 3-20pm until 5-45pm, is "the tour of Italy".
    Now, given as Search mentioned in chat, that 3-20pm is the time that the Italian road race goes live on Rai 3, I'd say it's gotta be this.
    The Italian road race has by far the most interesting course.

In contrast, Sporza has the Belgian champs from some time after 12-30pm, finishing around 4-15pm.
    That is a 17km, pan flat course, around the suburbs of Antwerp.  :(

Also live via the interweb, this evening, we have the US road race.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:06 by Mellow Velo »
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 302
    « Reply #67 on: June 25, 2017, 13:16 »

UK champs highlights, also on Eurosport 1, just before, at 7-30...

All a bit frustrating as I think that is the TT - road race not until 2200 tomorrow no chance to avoid result until then.

It doesn't seem to be on anywhere which is strange in cycle mad Britain...
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #68 on: June 25, 2017, 13:51 »
    Belgian in-line nats is panflat but with two stretches of cobbles. Obviously not Paris-Roubaix like but relevant enough  to draw Wout Van Aert's attention.

Quick before the live coverage

Kept and Successful Bet for Yves Lampaert in Chimay

(Sudpresse - 23 June)

The Flandrian dominated the clock despite a turning wind.

Yves Lampaert had prepared for it for several weeks and shared it to his friends, like any times, took a day off to come and cheer for their hero on the roads of Chimay, chosen at the last minute to make up for Antwerp's withdrawal with regards to the ITT. The winner of Dwars door Vlaanderen [België] was eager for revenge after his loss to Victor Campenaerts last year in Mol.

Probably this route suited me better than the one planned in Antwerp

He noticed addressing thanks to Jean-Luc Vandenbroucke called by the federation for rescue in order to find a worthy route for an ITT. The Fleming of Izegem who likes repeating he's a "boerenzoon"[1] could not express himself any better than on this countryside setting where surprised cows were more numerous than spectators. Supported by a hord of fans enjoying decapping a bottle of the local beer [the famous Chimay trappist  :P :lol], the Quickstepper made no mistake. First at every time check despite a turning wind which seemed heavier and heavier at the end of the series. Campenaert's crash (who had beaten him last year in Mol) did not even influence the outcome with the addition of the lost seconds.
    It was no revenge against Victor because we get along very well. We are friends but for sure also rivals in this discipline. We were both at our maximum for this stuff (sic). I had the chance to wear this jersey with the U23 (in 2012) but here with the pros it's of course great.

It now begs the question whether Yves Lampaert does not have the talent to target the ITT-bunch race double. The route is flat and it's only difficulties will be the series of (bad) cobbles, 40km with the addition of the laps. It's flat and partially cobbled. It's like a reminder of Waregem when Yves Lampaert escaped from a breakaway controlled by his leader Philippe Gilbert.

Maxime Monfort (9th), loose-pedalling on his Lotto bike:
    In any case he's got a great motor to do it. He's young. He's got potential in the ITT, already known since his debut years. Now a title in a bunch race is something else. At Lotto, the amount of riders is in our favour compared with Quick-Step and thereby a lot of pressure to go and grab the title. The law of the number does not mean anything however. Guys like Philippe Gilbert and Greg Van Avermaet, even isolated will be in the decisive escape for sure.

This is exactly the situation that can benefit Yves Lampaert in an 8-man attacking team, as usual, obviously with Philippe Gilbert in the mix.

The aim is to keep the jersey in the team because it's the nicest.

Tom Steels.

It's not an excuse but with this heat I took a strongly sugared bidon in order not to dehydrate. I took on a manhole cover and the thing blew out.

Says Maxime Monfort who takes a rest after today's race. In an ITT it's not a detail.
     1. In Dutch in the text. A "farm boy" that is  :)
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1469
    « Reply #69 on: June 25, 2017, 21:53 »
    Bat out Hell

Basically, so many riders from all other teams that the only ones left in the main bunch without someone up the road was the favorites (#didata EBH, #katusha Kristoff, #fdj Eiking). They ended up so far behind the television crew were on their way home as they came to the finish. I guess Kristoff and Boasson Hagen were staring at each other and saying "I am not going to do the leadout for you" every 5 km.

#katusha Bystrøm and #astana Korsæth (note: one Stavanger-affiliated rider and one Lillehammer affiliate) were allowed to break out from the bunch and gradually closed a gap of some 6 minutes with a small group of other riders. That group might have been just a bit too small, as both Korsæth and Bystrøm were short of power in the finale. The continental teams ruled the day but interestingly the race wasn't won by the teams that had a large part of their riders in the front group. #joker Rasmus Tiller won simply because he was strongest of the riders in the finale. All the other #joker Joker cyclists were in the main bunch, and before the finish line there were already talks and interrnet messages about the big failure by Joker compared to the other pro-conti teams (#tss Sparebanken Sør had FOUR -4 - riders in the G1, #coop had 2, and #unox had 3. #fixit Fix-it also had only 1, Bjørnar Vevatne Øverland, and when he made a comeback on the final straight, dropping the rest of the chasers and catching up with #katusha Bystrøm and #joker Tiller in front, he tried to go directly for the sprint - but wasn't disappointed at all as this was the team's best result ever (at least in Norway, I think there were some stage wins in Maroc last year, no one here saw that...).
    Rasmus Tiller was easily the best sprinter of the top 3, and thus the WT-rider Bystrøm was relegated to 2nd place, sharing the podium with 2 conti riders

The winner, #joker Rasmus Tiller is only 20 years old and #fixit Bjørnar Vevatne Øverland is also a young rider (21) so both probably have a foot forward in the race to get on the *no U23-team for the world championship in Bergen, with this strong performance. Øverland specializes in time trials and won gold in the team time trial event (for Bergen cycling club) earlier in the week, as well as a somewhat disappointing 6th place on the individual time trial.  The course in Bergen is somewhat similar to the one in Stjørdal, but they don't have to go through Hell on all laps  :D[1] Tiller looks like a strong candidate to supplement a stronger sprinter like Halvorsen this September.

1. (In fact, given today's this month's weather in Bergen (rain every day) there's a fat chance even Satan would have a hard time lighting a fire here...)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 09:12 by LukasCPH »

zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 149
    « Reply #70 on: June 25, 2017, 21:53 »
    In Ireland, it seems that the riders need to be reminded regularly that if you let the kid who is the best time triallist in the country up the road in a race with no domestiques, you won't see him again. This is the second time Mullen  #cannondale has done the TT/RR double and he's only 22. He will probably do it again at some point as he is likely to win the national TT any year in the next decade when he shows up in form.

As an aside, the Irish RR is an unusually entertaining race because Ireland is a "lower mid sized" country in cycling terms. Countries that are much smaller end up with the one or two pros dominating things or else someone completely random winning. Countries that are much larger either end up with the one dominant team problem or, if they avoid that, have championships that are more or less normal road races. But countries that are big enough to have some WT riders and some PCT riders but not big enough to have a very large number of either can end up with a kind of handicap system where the stronger you are, the less support you have. In this year's Irish RR, the WT riders were all flying solo, PCT riders alone or in pairs, Conti riders in teams of up to three and domestic amateurs in full teams. It makes for some weird racing.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 22:31 by zinoviev letter »

t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #71 on: June 25, 2017, 21:56 »
    ..... countries that are big enough to have some WT riders and some PCT riders but not big enough to have a very large number of either can end up with a kind of handicap system where the stronger you are, the less support you have. In this year's Irish RR, the WT riders were all flying solo, PCT riders alone or in pairs, Conti riders in teams of up to three and domestic amateurs in full teams. It makes for some weird racing.

Just the same weird handicap system here in Norway!  :cool Fun once in a while  :)
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #72 on: June 25, 2017, 22:04 »
    Very glad to see the former courier for a washing plant Oliver Naesen now getting Belgian champion. What a great story! And this while Groenewegen was outsprinted by Sinkeldam in the Netherlands.  :D Gutted as a Vanmarcke fan but it's also good to see Vanmarcke back at his own level after so much bad luck in spring and then stomach and intestine problems in May/June. I guess he just bluffed when he said he did not prepare for this championship, lol. He did what he had to do. Attacked on the last cobbled zone, twice and then started the sprint very far to surprise the breakaway mates who were supposed to be faster than him (Jens Keukeleire, Oliver Naesen, Jasper Stuyven) and it almost worked. Only a "Jef Scherens" like "cat jump" enabled Ollie to outsprint him (thanks to a slight head wind too).

Jens Keukeleire was impressive when he initiated the decisive move and even then he was the driving force behind the breakaway, methinks but in the end he was a bit short of energy. I start appreciating him more and more (if only because he was at the start of the national team project for the Tour of Belgium and won the race with the national jersey). I think he lacks the ego of a big champion and that's why he's no contender for the main classics, thus far. When you see him on the Sporza TV set, with his usual bright smile, he said he was happy for Oliver Naesen and even for all of the other breakaway mates because they were a strong group. Nathan Van Hooydonck was sitting next to him and he reminded him that last Sunday's race the Elfstedenronde was perhaps the best preparation for the championship: Nathan also raced for the national team with Jens Keukeleire. Jens also reminded us that in 2014 he won a kermess in Tienen outsprinting Nathan Van Hooydonck who was a first year U23 rider, he wanted to lure him into Orica back then but they had other plans probably.

By the way, I'm pretty sure but cannot verify it that Sep Vanmarcke refused to shake hand with Bart De Wever (Flemish separatist and Mayor of Antwerp) on the podium.  :D

Ah nice to see cyclocrosser Tim Merlier accomodating for a disappointing Wout Van Aert

Oh and the journalist of Sudpresse claimed that the cobbles were bad but I guess even the "Espace Crupelandt" is worse. Unless by "bad" they mean "bad" for cycling entertainment".  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 149
    « Reply #73 on: June 25, 2017, 23:13 »
    Larry Warbasse turning out to be an incredibly good signing for  #aquablue. That guy has just completely transformed his career in the last couple of weeks.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 830
    « Reply #74 on: June 26, 2017, 00:00 »
    Warbasse on a good year. Wins US RR nats.
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6043
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #76 on: June 26, 2017, 09:14 »
    #unox
    No dashes or the like possible in kit smiley codes - it's # unox, not # uno-x. ;)

Other than that, thanks for the report, sounds like a great race!
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9244
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #77 on: June 26, 2017, 09:48 »
    Rasmus Tiller was easily the best sprinter of the top 3, and thus the WT-rider Bystrøm was relegated to 2nd place, sharing the podium with 2 conti riders

The winner, #joker Rasmus Tiller is only 20 years old and #fixit Bjørnar Vevatne Øverland is also a young rider (21) so both probably have a foot forward in the race to get on the *no U23-team for the world championship in Bergen, with this strong performance.

did the #fixit rider celebrate coming 3rd, or is he a friend of the winner, or what was that about?
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Honorary President
    « Reply #78 on: June 26, 2017, 11:11 »
    Ruben Guerreiro #trek, whose name - despite me driving the hype train at full speed for a while now - I can't spell first time[1] took an excellent National Championship win ahead of last year's Volta a Portugal winner Rui Vinhas #porto and Ricardo Vilela #manzana (ex- #cajarural).

Most of the big names showed up - Rui Costa #uae and Nelson Oliveira #movistar were never on the start list - but of the WorldTour contingent only José Gonçalves #katusha got within 10 seconds of the winner.

Francisco Campos of Miranda-Mortagua took the U23 title, the 4th win of the season for the former National Track Sprint Champion.

In the time trials, Domingos Gonçalves ( #boavista, brother of José) took the Elite title, beating Nelson Oliveira by about 50 minutes (as discussed above). José Fernandes #bikecp took the U23 title.

For reasons that I don't currently immediately understand, there doesn't appear to have been a Women's championship[2]. I will investigate...

Post Merge: June 26, 2017, 11:49
    PS - The Women's Championship is this weekend, along with the junior/cadet age groups. Different town, different course. I think I like that the Women are getting top billing at their own event...

PPS - The National Paracycling Championships is somewhere else again, on the following weekend. Portugal the first country to effectively have a National Championships Month - of which I heartily approve!
     1. This is more embarrassing because one of my girlfriend's and my good friends in Portugal shares that surname...
     2. Presumably Daniela Reis #lares would have won, but still
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:49 by cj2002, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Joan

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 1
    « Reply #79 on: June 26, 2017, 13:08 »
    The Germans re-sorted their timing of the U23 Time Trial Championships  :o
    New champion Patrick Haller  #radnet
    Update
  • ReplyReply

• killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1036
    Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #81 on: June 26, 2017, 20:01 »
    Oliver Naesen is of course front page of many Dutch-speaking Belgian newspaper including Het Nieuwsblad, Het Belang van Limburg, Het Laatste Nieuws, etc.

Some French-speaking ones like the sport-friendly "La dernière heure" or the French-speaking version of the Metro (Dutch-speaking version as well).

Het Laatste Nieuws highlighted very well the Oliver Naesen story! A really nice story.  :)

Oliver Naesen : Three Years Ago Still a Parcel Delivery Man & Now Belgian Champion

(Het Laatste Nieuws – 26 June 2017)

The length of a tyre: nothing more made the difference with Sep Vanmarcke but Oliver Naesen is the one who can consider himself Belgian champion for one year. His front wheel took off when he crossed the line.
    If need be, I would have thrown my bike ahead.
    He laughed. Everybody gave credit to him. Oliver Naesen has everything to become the best [I doubt that, though] and most popular [I agree :)] rider of his generation and then you’d remember that three years ago he was still earning the cost of being a full time package delivery man.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 20:24 by Echoes »

t-72

• National Champion
    « Reply #82 on: June 26, 2017, 20:35 »
    did the #fixit rider celebrate coming 3rd, or is he a friend of the winner, or what was that about?

He celebrated his own bronze medal, and that was a very unexpected result, probably the best RR in his career so far, and looked very improbable only a few km from the finish line.

If you're happy and you know it, you might as well show it :) racing is fun!  :cool
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #83 on: June 26, 2017, 22:58 »
    Meanwhile in Costa Rica...

https://www.facebook.com/crciclismo/videos/vb.276067275737025/1609875099022896/?type=2&theater
    The combined trackstand-and-ITT championships! :lol

Seriously, couldn't they even find a volunteer to hold the riders' bikes? :-x
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #85 on: July 01, 2017, 13:04 »
    “In the Three-Coloured Jersey to the Tour of France, UNREAL” (Best translation I could think of)

Naesen With a Final Jump to His Nicest Win (better win than Plouay? Emotionally I guess so, competitively not quite, I think?)

(Het Laatste Nieuws, 26 June)

His front wheel took off. “I would even have thrown my back if need be”, said Oliver Naesen. In the sprint for the Belgian title Naesen beat Sep Vanmarcke with the length of a tyre. He did not throw his bike away but his glasses and helmet. “That was without thinking. It was not a choice.”

How does it feel to be Belgian champion?

Weird, actually unreal. Finally the puzzle is completed. This victory is really important. I had already said: if I hadn’t won anything by late June I’d really get frustrated. Now I’m going to the Tour of France in the three-colour jersey. It’s “vree wijs” [I don’t know what that means, must be dialect], non-do

You sure know that you are among the best Belgian riders.

Yes I knew that I wouldn’t be far from the title but it could as well have been a bunch sprint. I thought, let it go and see what happens.

With 60km to go I told my brother Lawrence: “We are going to start hey, mate.” I had to race. Everybody had interest in a hard race. From then on it was going all out after every corner and see what comes out. We eventually escaped with the 5 of us. That was ideal.

Where do you place yourself in the Belgian hierarchy?

Greg Van Avermaet and Philippe Gilbert stand out far above the rest. I think I’m on the same level as Sep Vanmarcke. Only a centimeter difference (laughs). I’m in there with Jens Keukeleire and Jasper Stuyven as well. Call it the Belgian sub top.

Do you have a career plan?

Every year I made a step ahead since I started to care for myself with the aim of turning pro in 2013 and every year I fear that it might all be over now, that it cannot get better than this and then I’m lucky that something else still comes. I hope that I still have a margin of a few years. That is very hard to evaluate.

You are racing for foreign teams: from IAM in Switzerland you are going to AG2R in France.

I started as a trainee for Lotto-Soudal and it was quite fun to turn pro there but the contract could not pass there. I went to the team where I could go and now I’m with AG2R. I could get the results that I had this year thanks to our situation as underdogs. Perhaps that will change.
    You are an underdog yourself in your own team. This seemed to be so at the Dauphiné libéré when your teammates started to chase you because Romain Bardet had to win[1]

There are actually some extenuating circumstances for that. Before the stage start they said that I should not get in the breakaway because I was no climber but I was a part of it. Then they said: the finish is in our ‘service course’, so we had to win. The finish was just after a descent, Romain Bardet is a very good descender. Therefore I understand their choice but I still find it a shame that they hadn’t listened to me. I sure would have been first or second. It’s a mistake that they are not ready to reiterate in the Tour of France

The fotograph below: With a beer in hand :fp Oliver Naesen gets congratulations and presents in his own Berlare. From these fans he gets a “survival pack for a hero”.

Brother Lawrence Naesen: “Now He’s Finally Rid of These Ugly Brown Trousers”

Yesterday was a top day for the Naesen family. Lawrence did not look like he was just 67th in the race but Oliver’s two year younger brother (24) raced a nice race. Only he missed the right escape in the finale. “I was surprised”, said the rider of the average WB Veranclassic Aqua Protect [it’s a good team, I guess they look down on it for being a Walloon team !!!!].
    I did try to bridge the gap with Baptiste Planckaert but you don’t have much of a chance with the two of you against 15 riders. After all what does it matter: my brother won! What a beautiful day! My brother is now finally rid of these ugly brown trousers. (laughs) I think that’s why he wanted to win.
    Lawrence is clearly the brother of – equally as spontaneous and unrestrained as Oliver :) [Oliver seems more talkative to me, though]. The younger Naesen’s sport career also shows similarities with that of the elder. Lawrence also needed to wait for a few years before he could get his chance. This is just his first pro year.
    They always say that the next step is to get together in the same team but this should not. It’s also my ambition to wear this jersey myself. With “Oli” as opponent. That would be beautiful. I am super happy. ‘Oli’ told me under way that it would be hard to win but when I saw him go I thought: “he still just can win.” It’s really a great achievement but I don’t think it’s really unexpected. In heavy long races he’s always dreadful. It’s even nicer to finish that off here while he hardly had any teammates. He has the advantage that he may still hide behind wheels a little bit. From now on this will be over for Oliver but what does that matter? The fish is grabbed, the season is a success.

There’s no question of jealousy for Lawrence.
     1. I didn’t know about that, unforgiveable!!!
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #86 on: August 27, 2017, 19:51 »
    https://twitter.com/Bike76Com/status/901865949325864961

Magno Prado took the TT title the other day,
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #87 on: August 28, 2017, 10:23 »
    Magno Prado took the TT title the other day,
    Magno Nazaret. ;)
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Upcoming Events

Latest Roadbooks

Recent Posts

Re: World Championships 2017 by t-72
    [September 23, 2017, 23:31]

Re: World Championships 2017 by LukasCPH
    [September 23, 2017, 19:08]

Re: World Championships 2017 by Leadbelly
    [September 23, 2017, 18:56]

League of Legends by RayCip
    [September 23, 2017, 18:41]

Re: World Championships 2017 by Mellow Velo
    [September 23, 2017, 17:24]

Re: World Championships 2017 by hiero
    [September 23, 2017, 17:05]

Recent Topics

topic World Championships 2017
    [Road Races]
    t-72
    September 23, 2017, 23:31
    topic Official Prediction Game 2017
    [Games]
    Josedin
    September 23, 2017, 21:08
    topic Youth CQ Ranking Game 2017
    [Games]
    just some guy
    September 23, 2017, 20:16
    topic Betting Thread
    [Games]
    Leadbelly
    September 23, 2017, 18:59
    topic The Italian Autumn Classics (Coppa Agostoni)
    [Road Races]
    RayCip
    September 23, 2017, 18:41