jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
  • Road Captain
  • Liked: 714
  • Loving this weather... not.
    • Fendrien
Laurens Sweeck appreciation thread
« on: December 02, 2016, 14:57 »
Ever the bridesmaid or up and coming champion in the making?

This lad has had a decent start to the season, I like his attacking style and ability to go off the front on a lone attack.

His results also seem to indicate some ability on the road but at his age of 23 he needs to make a decision soon.

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1067
    Re: Laurens Sweeck appreciation thread
    « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 10:36 »
    I discovered Laurens Sweeck in the year of his breakthrough as a junior, 2010/11 when he won both World Cup and Superprestige and was a hot favourite for the Worlds in Sankt Wendel but he lost to the Frenchies Clément Venturini and the Doubey brothers and came 5th, the reason for me was that the season for him was too long as junior but that day I said on CN that he could potentially become a great pro rider. See the results.  :cool

As a junior and U23 he regularly defeated Wout Van Aert especially when the latter was in his U23 year #1. Then Wout's body suddenly changed and he got taller and more muscular and now there's no match on him.

It's true that Laurens got great results on the road: prologue at the Tryptique ardennais, Tour of Namur + stage (it surprises me that a solidly built rider like him can find himself in Ardennes races but then again cross riders as a rule are more lightweight than cobble riders). However these are also results that you can expect from a top cyclocross rider, so I would relativise his ability on the road.

Let's remember that Laurens' brothers Hendrik (older than him) and Diether (his twin) are also accomplished cross rider and that their grandfather Alfons Sweeck won the Tour of Belgium and a stage at the Tour of Spain in 1960.  :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)