collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10716
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

cj2002

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3234
  • Honorary President
  • Awards: Best avatar 2012
Re: UCI Presidential Elections 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 09:27 »
Do we get a vote?

Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 10:18 »
    So Lappartient will be backed by the ASO

Not really sure which way cycling needs to go to get better, Maybe Tom Van Damme might be best
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5774
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 12:57 »
    Do we get a vote?
    If you're a member of your country's cycling federation, you get a vote on who will be that federation's president (normally an indirect one, through choosing delegates). Your country's federation's president (possibly after hearing the opinion of other board members of the federation) then votes for the UCI president.
    So, you kinda sorta do get a teeny-tiny fraction of influence on a vote.

Of course, the question then is: How many of us are actually members of their country's cycling federation? I'm not, never have. If I got a bigger share of influence on who will lead the UCI, I would actually consider joining - until then, there's little point. I'm not a competitive cyclist myself, I don't need federation membership to participate in some cyclo-tour every odd year.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 640
    « Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 14:04 »
    I'll start from the basis that I don't think Cookson should even be allowed to stand again. One term is always enough as the head of a sport and It would be good if one day someone somewhere would realise this and so do it voluntarliy or even add it to the laws/rules/constitution of the governing body.

Who ever does take over at the top what I would like to see is someone who is prepared to only oversee the aspects that the UCI can really control and let race organisers get on with running races.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3389
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 01:35 »
    I'll start from the basis that I don't think Cookson should even be allowed to stand again. One term is always enough as the head of a sport and It would be good if one day someone somewhere would realise this and so do it voluntarliy or even add it to the laws/rules/constitution of the governing body.

Who ever does take over at the top what I would like to see is someone who is prepared to only oversee the aspects that the UCI can really control and let race organisers get on with running races.

There are times when 2 terms would be good.

This time ISNT one of those ...  :D   But I dont think a blanket "1 term" policy is a good idea.  I do think term limits are a good idea though and should be included in all of these types of organizations.

Cookson - we rallied so much behind him purely on a "he has to be better than McQuaid" basis - but has he been?  really?   I dont know about that one.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 08:26 »
    I for one miss Pat
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5774
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 10:42 »
    Cookson - we rallied so much behind him purely on a "he has to be better than McQuaid" basis - but has he been?  really?   I dont know about that one.
    I would say we rallied behind Cookson on a "he's not Pat" basis. The "he has to be better than Pat" part was implied, because we couldn't imagine anyone being worse.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3389
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 10:53 »
    yes you are right - I distinctly remember he was the guy known as "not Pat McQuaid"  ... so perhaps thinking he might be better may have been a stretch.

Still - he managed perhaps what I would consider as the status quo - which is a low bar I never, ever imagined he would struggle over  :fp
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 18:10 »
    This might get truly feisty
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    • Liked: 657
    « Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 22:24 »
    This might get truly feisty
    Yeah, I think it already is. Sounds like Cookson is kinda ticked off about Lappartient running.

I would say we rallied behind Cookson on a "he's not Pat" basis. The "he has to be better than Pat" part was implied, because we couldn't imagine anyone being worse.

Yeah. Something like that, for sure. I have to say I think he has been an improvement, but there is so little improvement that it is a bit shocking. And a lot of areas just don't seem to have made any improvement. And then there were the ill-thought out changes that just got everybody up in arms. A little bumbling?

I do see that Cookson got a 2-term term limit installed. So if he wins again, that's it. But generally, though, I oppose term limits. A lot of times you don't have qualified people lining up to take on the responsibility. And, there is the institutional memory of people who have tenure. That can have significant value. And, in the case of the UCI, if we had term limits, what is to stop the organization from getting whiplashed in different directions and priorities every time you had a change in leadership? I don't think that is the solution. However, for a org like UCI, with big international exposure, and a 2-term limit, it should be a workable changeover. And, if things are bad enough, as Lappartient apparently thinks they are, you can run against the incumbent after one term.

We DID manage to get McQuaid out. So, now could we actually be tuning the ship's course, instead of merely saving it from ramming the iceberg? I hope.

I for one miss Pat
    Are you serious? You must be - no smilies. This is a surprise. I didn't think ANYBODY outside the McQuaid family missed Pat.

But I have a question as a result of this. If Cookson got a 2-term limit installed, and we didn't hear about it, how hard would it be for a successor to get that reversed?
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 22:35 by hiero »
    Ubi est ignis

* Dark Side Chatbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

Recent Posts

Re: Road Nats 2017 by Not My Circus
    [Today at 21:00]

Re: Road Nats 2017 by pastronef
    [Today at 20:07]

Re: Road Nats 2017 by cj2002
    [Today at 18:08]