collapse

Dancing on the Pedals

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 108
Re: Ryder - Garmin - etc
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2012, 11:04 »
I don't think he will win it, but I think Ryder has a very realistic shot at a top 10, and possibly a top 5, depending on how he has recovered after the Giro.  I like that over the last 2 years we are seeing riders trying to do Giro-Tour, and ftw as well, rather than the almost natural assumption that doing the Giro means you then do the Vuelta, as you can't hope to do the Tour.  Credit to him for that. 
Nothing wrong with Garmin's strategy for me - 3 riders who could be in the shake up, plus Martin.  Team spirit seems to be pretty good there, and i don't think Ryder would have a problem turning domestique for CVV for example,  if Ryder was struggling - or vice versa.  Hoping that Martin gets the green light to go on the rampage in the mountains  :-*
  • ReplyReply
  • 'Sacrifice and hard work is our only secret' - Alberto Contador
    'Vinokourov...a lord of cycling' - Andrea Guardini
    'As world champion you wear the most beautiful jersey ever for a year. The rainbow stripes have something magical. All great champions have worn them' - Mark Cavendish

flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 21
    « Reply #31 on: July 01, 2012, 21:10 »
    I don't think he will win it, but I think Ryder has a very realistic shot at a top 10, and possibly a top 5, depending on how he has recovered after the Giro.  I like that over the last 2 years we are seeing riders trying to do Giro-Tour, and ftw as well, rather than the almost natural assumption that doing the Giro means you then do the Vuelta, as you can't hope to do the Tour.  Credit to him for that. 
    Nothing wrong with Garmin's strategy for me - 3 riders who could be in the shake up, plus Martin.  Team spirit seems to be pretty good there, and i don't think Ryder would have a problem turning domestique for CVV for example,  if Ryder was struggling - or vice versa.  Hoping that Martin gets the green light to go on the rampage in the mountains  :-*

Ryder is looking pretty darn fresh in the first two stages.
  • ReplyReply

• Tuart

• Pobblebonk
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 489
    • Awards: Velogames Giro Winner 2014
    « Reply #32 on: July 07, 2012, 10:58 »
    Not sure where to stick this or can be arsed/presumptuous enough to start a new thread but I wrote a piece/diatribe on Garmin and their chances. Since there's actually very little Garmin-centric talk here I'd though it'd be a good starter for what people think their chances are like at the TDF. Without further ado:

Basically JV and Garmin-Barracuda’s focus and parading Ryder as number 1 is all a lot of this. As for “polemics” or “oh noes, who will be leader”, I think its a case of Occam's Razor. They are all capable of “leading” Garmin and will get the chance if it arises.

The way I see it Garmin have 4 cards to play, Hesjedal’s the King, TD and CVV are the Queen/Jack and Martin the Joker. This is fairly obvious and these bloke are some of their strongest GC contenders. The team unity is so high at Garmin right now, not to mention their morale, that I hardly see it a problem that anyone will be annoyed at having to play dom at expense of their ambitions. Plus all 9 riders are like a who’s who of Slipstream riders through the ages, you’d think they’d know how to get along.

Barring a miracle (which I think Garmin has cashed in already) they will realistically be aiming for a high GC place, not the win, which means a wide scope/target of anywhere from 5th to 20th. Any of the quartet can manage that so they’re likely to adopt a wait and see approach, fairly relaxed mindset and expectations coming into the start.

The deal with Ryder? Easy, he’s the king, he won the Giro he can win a GT so he deserves the limelight and why shouldn’t they bill him as bib #n1. G-B get the media exposure for their team and RH gets the adulation he deserves. Which then deflects the attention away from his team-mates which can only help them go “under the radar”. The Giro Effect will happen with him and you can’t predict that he will in top shape, even if the Giro was “Giro-lite” this year its still going to take it out on the riders doing the double. So even if he’s not their best chance, he can still be their leader and at least shield his team-mates and he’s a good enough rider that he can grind out a top20 if needed if the others falter.

CVV must be the rider in top form for Garmin atm. Very strong showing at the Giro and if you can believe the talk that was only form building up for the Tour. Will the Giro be too much riding like with Ryder, it is a possibility but he has to be the most likely favourite of the Garmins to finish high and I’d imagine Ryder wouldn’t even need to be asked to return the favour he gave him on the Stelvio.

Danielson, you really can’t discount and is the same sort of position as CVV, can easily be their best rider and place well, as he showed last year he’s their most recent form rider at the Tour and showed signs of promise at Suisse this season. These 3 were together last year and the other two had no problems riding for him then, I’d imagine that sentiment still stands.

Also you can’t discount Martin as the joker, if for no other reason that the “Slipstream Complex” which states that Slipstream have to place a new rider in the top 10 every year at the Tour (since 09). Although we’re yet to see if a top 20 in another GT nulls it. :D Regardless, Dan would have to be a plan ‘D’, only scenario likely I see Dan leading is that the 3 others falter/crash/abandon before the early TT and mountains and even though DM is allergic to TTs he comes out of it as best place Garmin rider. If not he’s still a useful domestique over the hills and mountains and good chance of a stage win.

So that’s my theory on it all anyway. :D

The Joker is played!
  • ReplyReply
  • 2014 Velorooms Giro d'Italia Velogames Winner

flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #33 on: July 07, 2012, 14:59 »
    Ryder is looking pretty darn fresh in the first two stages.

Poor Ryder, what a great rider, the tour is at a loss without him. Hope his spirtis recover.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 17:54 by L'arriviste, Reason: quote not closed »

L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6777
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    « Reply #34 on: July 07, 2012, 18:36 »
    +1 BYOP.

Garmin has had the worst race and, pinch myself, the first week has not even ended.

It's not the first time we've seen a team decimated and it won't be the last, but it's never easy to watch. When I think back as far as I've been watching cycling as a grown-up (since 2009), Garmin has always boxed above its weight. Stage wins, surprise top 10s and all that. Maybe the luck just got handed out to other teams this time around.

No real GC contender = No need to do heavy protection = Not near the front = More crash-prone?

Who knows?
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

jobiwan

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #35 on: July 07, 2012, 18:51 »
    It's awful, because today looked a lot like the suffer fests in the Giro that Ryder did so well on. Maybe Martin can salvage something from the Tour.
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3573
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #36 on: July 07, 2012, 22:10 »
    There just isn't much to say at this point. What a terrible week.

I blame it on Sharp.  :P

Seriously though, what a seesaw of events from the Giro to this. It's going to be an awfully long Tour for the rest of the team.
    I was looking forward to seeing Z-Man and Millar at the front of the peloton a few times.

At least the team-wide injuries seem mendable.
    Must be a pretty grim atmosphere on the bus though.  :(

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 11185
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #37 on: July 08, 2012, 17:30 »
    Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters
    Wow. Just found out Alex Howes just crashed out training and broke his collarbone. When it rains, it pours.

:(
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

jobiwan

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 23:50 »
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/howes-fighting-to-be-fit-for-usa-pro-cycling-challenge

Best of luck to you Alex! He seems to be handling it as best he can...

"I guess I kind of fell down out of sympathy for them," Howes joked Tuesday while recovering at home. "We're a tight-knit team, so we win as a team and we fall as a team, I guess."
  • ReplyReply

• flicker2.0

• 2nd Year Pro
    « Reply #39 on: July 16, 2012, 19:16 »
    I heard from my favorite commentators that Vandevelde was crying,(Vandeveldes Dad told Paul,) during stage 14 for the whole stage during the race. I wonder what is going on with Vandevelde?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 7562
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #40 on: July 08, 2013, 09:11 »
    http://www.humansinvent.com/#!/12538/jonathan-vaughters/
    Interesting interview of JV by Tom Southam. More about the philosophy behind #garmin than actual cycling.

(and to the mods: if you dislike me digging up a year-old thread, by all means do what you do - but I thought I'd use an existing thread instead of creating a new one)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4020
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #41 on: July 08, 2013, 09:20 »
    using the old thread is fine.   :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 12:42 »
    And I continue to use it:
    http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/14958/Jonathan-Vaughters-Feature-With-the-right-course-I-believe-that-Dan-Martin-can-win-a-Grand-Tour.aspx
    Jonathan Vaughters interviewed by Shane Stokes about Dan Martin and his GT possibilities
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 13141
    • Awards: 2019 Tour prediction champMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: 2017 Spring Classics CQ game winnerBest Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

ansimi

• Domestique
    • Liked: 240
    « Reply #46 on: November 22, 2013, 09:05 »
    Haven't read the article yet but I see it's another Vaughters "exclusive". That guy sure gives a lot of exclusive interviews... :D

Edit: Good interview though. Role reversal day sounds fun.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:19 by ansimi »

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #47 on: November 22, 2013, 14:02 »

Dan Martin video interview part I: Garmin-Sharp leader speaks at length about best ever year, concussion issues and more

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15863/Dan-Martin-video-interview-part-I-Garmin-Sharp-leader-speaks-at-length-about-best-ever-year-concussion-issues-and-more.aspx#ixzz2lNoId9fL
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #48 on: November 25, 2013, 19:50 »

Dan Martin video interview part II: Targeting GC in the Giro could mean missing the Tour

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/15880/Dan-Martin-video-interview-part-II-Targeting-GC-in-the-Giro-could-mean-missing-the-Tour.aspx#ixzz2lglTXRk8
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Wallenquist

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 58
      • Under19Zone
    « Reply #51 on: December 25, 2013, 22:50 »
    Any news about Hesjedal's possible schedule ? I haven't heard anything.
  • ReplyReply
  • My little blog about juniors cycling

Under19Zone

ansimi

• Domestique
    • Liked: 240
    « Reply #52 on: December 26, 2013, 02:33 »
    I don't think Ryder's given an interview since before his doping statement. He'll probably have a feature interview soon to talk about the future...or maybe Vaughters will continue to speak for him.

Garmin says they're targeting all 3 GTs next year and Martin gets the Giro so Talansky and Hesjedal are left to lead the Tour and Vuelta. The Vuelta suits Hesjedal but it means missing the Canadian races.

He finished his season before Worlds but I don't think he'll start racing early. He gets in good training in Hawaii.

I'd like to see Ryder give the new MSR a try. He's good on a long day.
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #53 on: January 02, 2014, 13:17 »
    Very interesting podcast from Humans Invent with David Millar.

https://audioboo.fm/boos/1826068-david-millar-special

Some of his views on how the peloton is in a transitional phase and how the young guys don't listen to the old guys any more are very interesting.

Also, the film Millar is making during his final year sounds like it is going to be his final love song to bike racing. This is the short from the same director which is a homage to track sprinting featuring Craig MacLean.

• ReplyReply

• Jamsque

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 861
    « Reply #54 on: January 03, 2014, 12:39 »
    Finally made it to the end of that, lots of interesting things in it. Especially interesting to hear his take on the fractious and divided nature of the pro peloton at the moment, which is something I think we've all observed in the sport lately.
  • ReplyReply

• pastronef

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 662
    « Reply #55 on: January 04, 2014, 16:44 »
    see here the details about the PandaWWF-Garmin deal  :cool

http://storify.com/ade_wwf/conversation-with-vaughters
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #57 on: January 19, 2014, 12:18 »
    We all knew that Lachlan Morton was ace.
    Now he heaps more awesomeness on himself by biking through the outback, 3000 km from Port Macquarie to Uluru:
    http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/video/120899139694/lachlan-morton-s-big-adventure
  • ReplyReply

• KeithJamesMc

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1396
    « Reply #58 on: January 21, 2014, 18:22 »
    I'm loving the Gaimon backstory

http://cyclingreporter.com/2013/06/23/phil-gaimon-interview-the-long-way-to-europe-and-the-worldtour-garmin-racing-clean-and-writing-a-book/

What a great guy.

Hopefully loads of success is coming his way...
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #59 on: January 21, 2014, 21:00 »
    His father is from Oldenburg?
    That means he's almost, like, Danish. ;)

That book sounds like something I need to get my hands on.
    Definitely not your normal pro - like Keith says, great guy.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by Joelsim
    [Today at 13:53]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by search
    [Today at 13:03]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by search
    [December 06, 2019, 16:18]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by Joelsim
    [December 06, 2019, 15:37]

Re: Giro 2020 General Discussion by search