collapse

Drummer Boy

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 4192
  • Awards: Post of the year 2015
Re: Tokyo 2020 Olympic Road Race & ITT thread
« on: July 22, 2021, 00:54 »
I'm already confused.  :S

Glancing at the Olympic schedule on CN, and there's no iTT mentioned. Thinking it may have been cancelled, I searched elsewhere to discover that it's set for Wed, July 28th.

Then, perusing my NBC/Peacock streaming options, they give me a selection of sports to choose from on their "Olympic Hub."

Browse by sport:

Soccer, Basketball, Gymnastics, Swimming, Track & Field, Tennis, Beach Volleyball, Diving, Softball, Water polo.
:slow

This useful site informs me that the Men's Road Race will occur on both Friday and Saturday. Yet neither time seems to correspond with reality. Even when allowing for different time zones, I'm not sure what they plan on offering before the event has even taken place.

And nowhere can I get any confirmation as to which events will be broadcast live, and which ones will be tape delayed—other than multiple sources indicating that tape delay will be the norm, given the obvious time difference. But if they're offering these events through their streaming service, then why should it matter when the event is? Just show the damn thing as it's happening, as the vast majority of people will not be able to avoid spoilers when it comes to something like the Olympics. Not to mention, there certainly won't be any conflicting sporting events taking place at the same time over here, so what else is there to show?

Peacock, NBC's free streaming service, will be the main way for Americans to stream the Summer Games. Peacock will air some events live, including the team gymnastics competitions and the U.S. men's basketball team's games, and will also have coverage available to watch on tape delay. NBCOlympics.com and the NBC Sports App will provide similar services.

According to Olympics.com, the men's road race will begin at 10:00 pm Friday, July 23rd for me (EDT) which will be 11:00 am Saturday, July 24th local time (JST).

Normally this would be quite a fun time for me to watch, but given my recent sleep scheule (which was only reinforced during the TdF) staying awake beyond the first hour may be a challenge. From what I can tell, all the other cycling events will taking place well after midnight for me, so it's doubtful I'll see any of them live, even if they are available.

Unless I wake up in the middle of the night.
Which I often do.
So there's that. 
:P
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 05:19 by Drummer Boy »

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by polenta
    [Today at 09:26]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by LukasCPH
    [October 14, 2021, 21:05]

Re: Roadbooks by search
    [October 14, 2021, 13:16]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Leadbelly
    [October 11, 2021, 18:12]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by search
    [October 11, 2021, 08:16]

Re: 2021 Smaller Race Results and Discussion by Drummer Boy