collapse

cj2002

• Classics Winner
  • Liked: 3183
  • Honorary President
  • Awards: Best avatar 2012
Re: 35th Volta ao Alentejo
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2017, 18:47 »

Molano #manzana takes his 2nd win of the week, beating Chris Lawless #axeon to the line again...

Barbero finishes 5th, 3" off the front, giving him overall stage positions of 3-2-3-2-5. There were two riders racing in Belgium this weekend who often showed consistency like that - now one is a double World Champion and one is Olympic Champion. Incidentally, I hadn't realised when writing my preview that Carlos Barbero had already won this race before, in 2014 when he rode for Euskadi[1], again doing so without winning a stage: 3-2-94-2-5 were his positions that year... it's almost as if he was trying to do the same again!

Barbero also took home the points jersey, way ahead of Lol-centini[2], Molano and Lawless. There wasn't a whole lot of climbing involved in this route - Alentejo is big on rolling hills, short on summits. Manzana fans will be pleased to see Aldemar Reyes take the climbers jersey back to Colombia, ahead of Eddie Dunbar #axeon and Frederico Figueiredo #sporting.

As for the youth classification - whatever the cut-off that was used, there could only be one winner. And despite a typically strong showing from Axeon, who took positions 2, 3, 4 and 5, it was Jasper de Laat #metec who took the white jersey, as well as 3rd overall. Luis Gomes #boavista, who had a strong season with Liberty Seguros-Carglass, was 6th, and the best-placed young Portuguese rider.  Edgar Pinto #metalusa, 9 years the senior of his compatriot, was the best-placed Portuguese overall, finishing 6th, 31" down.
 1. For the nerds completists amongst you, Eduard Prades, then with OFM and now with Caja Rural was 2nd, Karel Hnik was 3rd
 2. Nothing against him personally, I'm just sceptical of any 39 year-old still winning races cough Horner cough
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8438
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: 35th Volta ao Alentejo
    « Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 06:55 »
    Barbero finishes 5th, 3" off the front, giving him overall stage positions of 3-2-3-2-5. There were two riders racing in Belgium this weekend who often showed consistency like that - now one is a double World Champion and one is Olympic Champion. Incidentally, I hadn't realised when writing my preview that Carlos Barbero had already won this race before, in 2014 when he rode for Euskadi[1], again doing so without winning a stage: 3-2-94-2-5 were his positions that year... it's almost as if he was trying to do the same again!
     1. For the nerds completists amongst you, Eduard Prades, then with OFM and now with Caja Rural was 2nd, Karel Hnik was 3rd

well, more or less: ;)

“The team was sensational again today, and we controlled the stage not with ease, but more comfortably than expected. You always fear those last stages because anything that happens is almost impossible to fix. However, I was holding an important gap and, as I knew the finish from previous years, I just tried to secure the overall win. Funny enough, I got the very same finish places I got at the other edition I won back in 2014 - every single day, but for stage three, when I punctured back in the day. Fortunately, we could also repeat the overall result from then and win.

“At the beginning of the week I was aware I could fight for stage wins, but was mainly focused on the GC. A rider like me, one who doesn’t do good time trials nor climbs well, finds it difficult to contest other kinds of stageraces. I knew this race was good for me, I had it written down on my goal list for the season
    , and Algarve helped me last week to find perfect form before this objective.
    “I had spent a year and a half without a win, and I was so excited about raising my arms again, feeling like I do now. Even more so when you sign for another squad, where it’s always important to get off to a good start. Notching up a victory in March makes you more calm, as you see things are going through the right path. Being a part of the Movistar Team is just as it looks from outside: the team takes things seriously, treats you well, and the average level of all members is really high. This victory is a tribute to all of them, because they did an absolutely masterpiece of a job all week long. It also goes to Adriano - even though he had to retire on stage win, he gives us strength and teaches us all big values.

“I don’t know if i’ll be racing either Strade Bianche or Larciano next weekend, but Milano-Sanremo is confirmed for me. It’s a race I really love and want to know. We’ll give our very best there, but we’ve got to remain realistic - it’s a Monument classic, and the goal for this first appearance is just getting to know its secrets and tackle it later in my career.”

http://movistarteam.com/news/2017-2-26/barbero-claims-first-success-with-movistar-team
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Latest Roadbooks