Not My Circus

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1235
  • Something about Danish cycling I love
GP Le Samyn
« on: February 27, 2017, 15:24 »
  *be GP Le Samyn [1.1] *be
Quaregnon to Dour, 202.2km

After an all-out, guns blazing opening weekend on Flemish roads, Wednesday sees the cobbled action switch to the Walloon part of Belgium for GP Le Samyn - also the first round of the Napoleon Games Cycling Cup.

Unlike the more famous Ardennes races that come later in other parts of this area. Le Samyn is more of your typical Flemish affair complete with cobbled sectors and hellingen. It also usually comes complete with filthiest of Belgian weather making it one for the classics hardmen.

Le Samyn was first held as a professional race in 1968 and so has a long history. However, it still lacks the prestige of the major races and the big names usually head home after the opening weekend to prepare for Paris-Nice and Tirreno-Adriatico. This opens the door for some of the domestiques to go for glory on the cobbles and together with the weekend stage race Driedaagse van West-Vlaanderen, it offers an alternative path for young riders and support riders who haven’t been selected for the two major WorldTour stage races.

From Napoleon Cup website
"The competition pays tribute to the rider who won the first edition in 1968, the late lamented Frenchman José Samyn who defeated his then compatriot Bernard Guyot and the Belgian Vic Van Peel. The course was named after him after his death the following year. Since 2005 the GP Le Samyn part of the UCI Europe Tour in the catégorie 1.1. The 'Samyn is a jewel of sporting experience the Hainaut region, no brakes!"

Previous Winners
2016 | TERPSTRA Niki
2015 | BOECKMANS Kris
2014 | VANTOMME Maxime
2013 | TSATEVICH Alexey
2012 | DéMARE Arnaud
2011 | KLEMME Dominic
2010 | KEUKELEIRE Jens
2009 | WEYLANDT Wouter
2008 | GILBERT Philippe
2007 | CASPER Jimmy

2016 Edition

Bad weather edition that shattered the frozen peloton - so tough that even Phil Gil stepped off.  #quickstep Niki Terpstra struck out with 14km to go and just powered his way through the weather and the parcours like it just wasn't there. He took the line solo some 19secs ahead of an impressive Bora-Argon's Scott Thwaites with  #cofidis Florian Senechel rounding out the podium. Cycling News with the rundown

https://twitter.com/jimmiecroon/status/827642888439865350

Full replay, take your choice where you start from...

2017 Start List
Teams

Start list

Parcours
The parcours has changed in the last few year with more cobbled sectors added to force a stronger selection. This years editions looks like it has one less pave sector than last year. However, given I'm playing guessing games with scarce info, I could well be wrong.

EDIT I WAS WRONG THERE ARE FOUR cobbled HOORAH[1] :cheer

[/size][/color]

Basically the race is split into two parts[2]. First the riders head north from the start in Quaregnon for a 102km circuit which takes in four short steep climbs between  30km and 50km
Cote de Mainvault
Cote de la Folie
Cote des Papins
Cote du Semenil

They then head back for four laps of of 25.1km finishing circuit around Dour - it's here where the cobbles come into play
Rue du Vert Pignon (*)
Cote de la Roquette (**) - 13.3km from finish and leading directly to
Chemin de Wiheries (***)
Rue Belle Vue (***) - 2.6km from finish

The run to the line is not technical but it is an uphill drag to the finish.

Hard to predict a winner without seeing a finalised start list, but it matters not. I remember this one from last year and it'll be a belter again this year.

Live streams
Sporza doesn't cover this race.
 It's the French speaking RTBF, this time. (15-40 to 17-35cet)
As Search mentioned in his Napoleon Games thread, VTM have live coverage, too. (15-25 to 17-45cet)
Eurosport also live from 15-45cet

Social Media
Website
Race Twitter... via Napoleon Cup
Hashtag #LeSamyn

Preview for Le Samyn des Dames

1. well technically I think I was correct but wrongly identified pave and hellingen , I am such a Klutz ;p
 2. see 2016 preview from cycling quotes
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:12 by Not My Circus »

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Latest Roadbooks

Recent Posts

Re: Tour de Romandie by AG
    [Today at 00:35]

Re: Official Prediction Game 2017 by Josedin
    [Today at 00:27]

Re: Official Prediction Game 2017 by del1962