collapse

search

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 8419
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Napoleon Games Cycling Cup (Handzame Classic)
« on: February 27, 2017, 07:23 »
Napoleon Games Cycling Cup

After a (what I think) successful debut in 2016, the Napoleon Games Cycling Cup goes into a next round this year, with the first race on Wednesday:

01.03.      1.1      GP Samyn
05.03.      1.1      Dwars door West-Vlaanderen Johan Museeuw Classic
17.03.      1.1      Handzame Classic
03.06.      1.1      Carrefour Market Heistse Pijl
21.06.      1.1      Halle-Ingooigem
05.08.      1.1      Dwars door het Hageland - Aarschot
20.08.      1.1      Grote Prijs Jef Scherens - Rondom Leuven
15.09.      1.1      Kampioenschap van Vlaanderen
01.10.      1.HC      Tour de l'Eurométropole
03.10.      1.1      Binche-Chimay-Binche

Dwars door West-Vlaanderen is a new addition, replacing the Schluttingprijs, which initially was set not to take place in 2017 - now it does, but I guess it's too late to still include it in the cup as race #11. #verandas Timothy Dupont won the cup last year and at the presentation last week he said, that he'd like to defend his title.

The rules for 2017 were not announced yet, but they are likely to be found on the official website soon.

Lats year all races were live on VTM (and most also on Eurosport), and as far as I can see, this also seems to be the plan for 2017 :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:14 by just some guy »
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1177
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    GP Le Samyn
    « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 15:24 »
      *be GP Le Samyn [1.1] *be
    Quaregnon to Dour, 202.2km

After an all-out, guns blazing opening weekend on Flemish roads, Wednesday sees the cobbled action switch to the Walloon part of Belgium for GP Le Samyn - also the first round of the Napoleon Games Cycling Cup.

Unlike the more famous Ardennes races that come later in other parts of this area. Le Samyn is more of your typical Flemish affair complete with cobbled sectors and hellingen. It also usually comes complete with filthiest of Belgian weather making it one for the classics hardmen.

Le Samyn was first held as a professional race in 1968 and so has a long history. However, it still lacks the prestige of the major races and the big names usually head home after the opening weekend to prepare for Paris-Nice and Tirreno-Adriatico. This opens the door for some of the domestiques to go for glory on the cobbles and together with the weekend stage race Driedaagse van West-Vlaanderen, it offers an alternative path for young riders and support riders who haven’t been selected for the two major WorldTour stage races.

From Napoleon Cup website
    "The competition pays tribute to the rider who won the first edition in 1968, the late lamented Frenchman José Samyn who defeated his then compatriot Bernard Guyot and the Belgian Vic Van Peel. The course was named after him after his death the following year. Since 2005 the GP Le Samyn part of the UCI Europe Tour in the catégorie 1.1. The 'Samyn is a jewel of sporting experience the Hainaut region, no brakes!"

Previous Winners
    2016 | TERPSTRA Niki
    2015 | BOECKMANS Kris
    2014 | VANTOMME Maxime
    2013 | TSATEVICH Alexey
    2012 | DéMARE Arnaud
    2011 | KLEMME Dominic
    2010 | KEUKELEIRE Jens
    2009 | WEYLANDT Wouter
    2008 | GILBERT Philippe
    2007 | CASPER Jimmy

2016 Edition

Bad weather edition that shattered the frozen peloton - so tough that even Phil Gil stepped off.  #quickstep Niki Terpstra struck out with 14km to go and just powered his way through the weather and the parcours like it just wasn't there. He took the line solo some 19secs ahead of an impressive Bora-Argon's Scott Thwaites with  #cofidis Florian Senechel rounding out the podium. Cycling News with the rundown

https://twitter.com/jimmiecroon/status/827642888439865350

Full replay, take your choice where you start from...

2017 Start List
    Teams

Start list

Parcours
    The parcours has changed in the last few year with more cobbled sectors added to force a stronger selection. This years editions looks like it has one less pave sector than last year. However, given I'm playing guessing games with scarce info, I could well be wrong.

EDIT I WAS WRONG THERE ARE FOUR cobbled HOORAH[1] :cheer

[/size][/color]

Basically the race is split into two parts[2]. First the riders head north from the start in Quaregnon for a 102km circuit which takes in four short steep climbs between  30km and 50km
    Cote de Mainvault
    Cote de la Folie
    Cote des Papins
    Cote du Semenil

They then head back for four laps of of 25.1km finishing circuit around Dour - it's here where the cobbles come into play
    Rue du Vert Pignon (*)
    Cote de la Roquette (**) - 13.3km from finish and leading directly to
    Chemin de Wiheries (***)
    Rue Belle Vue (***) - 2.6km from finish

The run to the line is not technical but it is an uphill drag to the finish.

Hard to predict a winner without seeing a finalised start list, but it matters not. I remember this one from last year and it'll be a belter again this year.

Live streams
    Sporza doesn't cover this race.
     It's the French speaking RTBF, this time. (15-40 to 17-35cet)
    As Search mentioned in his Napoleon Games thread, VTM have live coverage, too. (15-25 to 17-45cet)
    Eurosport also live from 15-45cet

Social Media
    Website
    Race Twitter... via Napoleon Cup
    Hashtag #LeSamyn

Preview for Le Samyn des Dames

1. well technically I think I was correct but wrongly identified pave and hellingen , I am such a Klutz ;p
     2. see 2016 preview from cycling quotes
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 10:12 by Not My Circus »

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5585
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: GP Le Samyn
    « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 16:08 »
    Race Twitter... not sure
    Napoleon Cup
    The NGCC races use the Napoleon Cup Twitter and don't have their own accounts. :)
  • ReplyReply
  • 2016 Stölting Content Editor; 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 17:06 »
    The NGCC races use the Napoleon Cup Twitter and don't have their own accounts. :)

thanks... I've updated
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 249
    • Awards: best new member of 2016
    « Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 07:45 »
    Two great races with OHN and KBK last weekend. I think we're in for a cracking classics/semi-classics season so I'm really looking forward to this race
  • ReplyReply
  • Giving my view on life, cycling and the desire to do a sub 26min 10mTT on the Isle of Man @JaunePeril

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1379
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 08:04 »
    As Search mentioned in his Napoleon Games thread, VTM have live coverage, too. (15-25 to 17-45cet)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 13:54 »

thanks ... I'll add it above
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 14:04 »
    Just added the start list from the race website
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10230
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 14:31 »
    sector 4

• ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 703
    • Spring is coming... I hope
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 16:56 »
    Just like last year !
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 09:07 »
    Just like last year !

:cheer

Spares a smidge of a thought for the riders
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8419
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 09:09 »
    something from Belgian and French press:

#wallonie DS Frédéric Amorison says they want to fight for the win today. They are happy with the start of their season in pro conti ranks (2 victories already), especially because their main target are those races later on in the middle of the year. Still, Maxime Vantomme felt great in Het Nieuwsblad but unfortunately crashed at the foot of the Molenberg, and Justin Jules is in amazing shape. Apparently he never trained professionally before - when they raced in France over the past weeks, people asked what the heck had happened to him because he looked as sharp as never before.

[edit: Jules is not on the start list for today though, so that was just a general remark)

http://www.dhnet.be/sports/cyclisme/amorison-on-peut-gagner-le-samyn-58b58ba3cd7076b6df49ab1c

The race is still struggling from severe financial problems though, a 180000 EUR budget hole opened up and it will take the race a couple of years to recover from that. The 2016 price money was paid last Friday but the organization was not able to pay last year's the travel costs of the teams. (I'm not quite sure why they would need to though)

http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/124905/article/2017-02-28/victime-d-un-detournement-de-fonds-le-samyn-veut-remonter-la-pente
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:35 by search »

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 09:34 »
    :cheer

Spares a smidge of a thought for the riders

Like they care about how cold or hot or whatever I am when at the side of the road watching  :D :D :D :D
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 09:48 »
    something from Belgian and French press:

#wallonie DS Frédéric Amorison says they want to fight for the win today. They are happy with the start of their season in pro conti ranks (2 victories already), especially because their main target are those races later on in the middle of the year.

I thought they have had a great start to the season. Kirsch was out in the breaks over the weekend at OHN and KBK . I was surprised to see  #nuyens Veranda's Willems-Crelan given the nod over them for RVV

http://www.dhnet.be/sports/cyclisme/amorison-on-peut-gagner-le-samyn-58b58ba3cd7076b6df49ab1c

The race is still struggling from severe financial problems though, a 180000 EUR budget hole opened up and it will take the race a couple of years to recover from that. The 2016 price money was paid last Friday but the organization was not able to pay last year's the travel costs of the teams. (I'm not quite sure why they would need to though)

http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/124905/article/2017-02-28/victime-d-un-detournement-de-fonds-le-samyn-veut-remonter-la-pente
    I knew I'd read something on this when I did the preview, but couldn't find it when I wanted it. That's a huge hole to fill.
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 10:34 »
    Kirsch is a pretty decent bet for the classics isn't.

At Stolting/Rose last season he was starting to really stand out. I thought he was a bit older and that's why none of the bigger teams had picked him up.

Surprising.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 12:21 »
    Kirsch is a pretty decent bet for the classics isn't.

At Stolting/Rose last season he was starting to really stand out. I thought he was a bit older and that's why none of the bigger teams had picked him up.

Surprising.
    Yes, Alex is the real deal. He spent the 2015 and 2016 seasons learning the ropes, and I'm confident he'll break through this year.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 12:22 »
    If they made an agreement with (some of) the teams that they would cover (part of) their travel expenses, and they didn't, that looks bad. And makes the teams less likely to trust them financially and commit to coming to the race another time.

It's not the fault of the race here, they lost sponsorship and are doing their best to stay on course, but it puts them in a bad position.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 749
    • Awards: Reigning Vuelta Prediction ChampRio Olympic Games Prediction Champ
    « Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 16:47 »

Pretty cool race in dreadful weather, impossible to tell who was who by the end.

#wanty Van Keirsbluck attacked ~55km out and was up front for the rest of the race, albeit with different groups of companions.

#wbva got Pardini and Kirsch into a group along with #wanty Van Keirsbluck #lotto Van der Sande #lotto De Buyst #jumbo Wynants and #quickstep Keisse which was pretty strong.

Kirsch whipped off his black rain jacket and attacked with a fluorescent streak on a miserable day. Only Van der Sande and Van Keirsbluck could follow, VdS cracking shortly after.

Cofidis, Lotto and Quickstep were chasing hard but never caught the front two. A little bit of inexperience from Kirsch perhaps who looked the stronger on the climbs but chapeau to both, a deserved win for GvK. Keisse took third from a chasing group sprint.

#vlaanderen Van Lerberghe finished in 9th which is pretty cool considering he almost crashed into a moto going round a corner then got taken out by an umbrella.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 16:57 »
    missed it - school holidays meh  :lol

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 17:15 »
    Yes, Alex is the real deal. He spent the 2015 and 2016 seasons learning the ropes, and I'm confident he'll break through this year.
    Told you so! :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 249
    • Awards: best new member of 2016
    « Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 20:11 »
    Missed the race but caught the result. Nice to see Van Kiersbulck back on top of the podium. I always get the feeling there is unfulfilled potential with him.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 21:35 »
    all caught up now

well that was alright
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Domestique
    • Liked: 824
    « Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 22:25 »
    Best race so far this season!

90% of all attacks in 2017 so far happened in the final rounds on Le Samyn.

All hail to #wanty van Keirsbulck and #wbva Alex Kirsch. Keirsbulck for making the race and winning it,  as a seasoned pro with cobbles as special skill should do. Kirsch for coming sooooooo close to stopping Keirsbulck. Going first over the last cobble section was a very clever tactical move by Kirsch. He should just keep on what he's doing cause he is going to win something big if keeps on like that.

My impression is actually that the whole #wbva team has taken a step up from last year! :)

PS: This race is great, I hope the economy works out. One of the cobble sections look like a real pain in the ass - the technical level of difficulty must rival some of the more mellow more famous races like E3 and G-W. IMHO some of the best Flanders style cobbles are actually in Vallonia :)
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 22:54 »
    Going first over the last cobble section was a very clever tactical move by Kirsch. He should just keep on what he's doing cause he is going to win something big if keeps on like that.
    So very much this. Mads P has huge potential, and was rightly picked up by a WT team for this season, but in my book Alex isn't far behind - if he is behind at all.
    Plus he'll get less attention in his #wbva jersey than Mads P gets in #trek attire (and have more opportunities to ride for himself too), so it's very much possible that Alex' first really big win comes before Mads'.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 23:41 by LukasCPH »

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #24 on: March 02, 2017, 06:47 »
    1 of things that struck me yesterday when little Tom was breaking hearts and minds

Maybe Tosh should step down a level as well, seems to be going nowhere fast
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #25 on: March 02, 2017, 07:10 »
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    A new cycling spring, a new sound ... a new cycle race.
    After 70 years, we have set, the Tower of the Flemish Ardennes was KVC Ichtegem-Sporting to anew challenge and was held on a new course over the baptismal font: Across West Flanders.Our contest gets this year extra shine we had the chance to accede to the Napoleon Games CyclingCup, with live broadcast on the national TV channel VTM.

A tremendous value for our cycling community and our cycling club.With Across West Flanders cycling awakens from hibernation and if a bit of luck trialsWe already something of spring during our high day.This match has therefore been a nice preview, the entrance exam for the upcoming cycling classics.How do you run at it, Ichtegem remains a cycling crazy town.It is always an apotheosis to see the cycling caravan Ichtegem entering.Of course we hope for a West Fleming who can follow up last year's winner Timothy Dupont. our record
    is sounding names.Our contest is still a window on West Flanders: the cycling world is watching the matches here driven.

Starting in Newport, passages in Dixmude and Ypres the riders pass many monuments and cemeteries. In Flanders Fields, a tribute to the many victims of war.

Thanks to my passionate directors, participating cities and towns, our loyal sponsors.
    I wish you all a magnificent cross by West Flanders !!
    Rendezvous in Nieuwpoort and Ichtegem !!!
    I watch with my board forward to it !!!!
    Rik Goethals President KVC Ichtegem sport

or

Next stop in the Napoleon Cup Games series of 1 day races  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    was doing a test
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 971
    Re: Napoleon Games Cycling Cup
    « Reply #29 on: March 04, 2017, 15:03 »

(La dernière heure on Thursday 2 March 2017)

Without the abnegation and the commitment of all voluntary workers, without the persuasion which Jean-Luc Vandenbroucke needed to show in order to convince the RLVB [Belgian Federation] and numerous teams, sometimes not paid for two years, to take part despite everything, after all the financial misery that we know about, the Samyn would probably not have had its 48th edition.

If Hilaire Van der Schueren and Jean-François Bourlart hadn’t given him his last chance contract last winter in Wanty-Groupe Gobert, Guillaume Van Keirsbulck would have left the peloton and add his name to the list of eternal big hopes who never match expectations.

Last Wednesday under the storm that swept the routes of the Borinage [that is the region around Fayt-le-Franc, also called “Picardian Wallonia”] the Samyn and Van Keirsbulck found themselves back again for the best after having almost experienced the worst. GVK was known for many years as a huge talent. A winner of the junior Paris-Roubaix, son of Kurt a former pro by the end of the eighties and grandson of Benoni Beheyt, controversial World Champion in Ronse in 1963, he turned pro at age 20 with Quick Step.

He was then predicted as the new Tom Boonen and not just because the two men are physical clone but unfortunately not mentally! [well sometimes Boonen seemed quite erratic to me]

The 2014 season seemed to have finally launched him: he won the Three Days of De Panne, a stage at the Tour of West Flanders and one at the Lowlands Tour after an impressive solo already under rain but yet the rocket didn’t take off.

After that in 2015 I had a hernital disc and stomach problems which kept me away from the peloton for six months.

Most of all in August 2015 GVK had a car crash that sums up pretty well his erring ways which he revelled in. Driving his €115,000 worth Audi RS6 Avant the Flandrian slipped away and knocked into a tree in the streets of Knokke. It was 6am and with his friends he come out of a nightclub. GVK had an 1.8/1000 alcohol level. Not really the optimal buildup for a rider, which his average 2016 season only confirmed.

Last Winter I really trained well and lived up for my job. My girlfriend has helped me a lot for that. I changed team, found the motivation back. I probably needed to do that a year or two earlier even if I had a lot of (too much probably) fun. I have a new trainer, Marc Lamberts, the same as Van Aert and Van den Broeck [if you follow my cyclocross contribution, you’d remember that he had warned Wout Van Aert several times that he was racing too much!;)]It’s the first time I can ride for myself. In the previous years I always had to work at the service of a leader, we also had the pressure to always win. With Wanty Groupe Gobert it’s different. Of course we are fighting for the win but a top10 is already nice. I’m not top yet but it will come. I know it’s only just the Samyn but winning three years after is always pleasant. It will motivate me for the rest.

Christophe Brandt Emotional Let-Down

Christophe Brandt had tears in his eyes. The manager of the WB-Veranclassic-Aqua Protect team long believed in the victory of his rider Alex Kirsch who was leading the sprint until the very last meters of the Samyn before he could see his last opponent Guillaume Van Keirsbulck raising his arms.
    Ah it was so close. It’s a real disappointment. From the very start of the race on my riders raced a perfect race. They were in every good breakaways. In the finale Alex did a great trick with Guillaume Van Keirsbulck but the latter won. Hats off to Guillaume for his win. He was the strongest on the finish line. It’s a shame for us, we really were close.

A few minutes after finish, the disappointment took the better of the satisfaction to see his team everywhere since the start of the season.

Yes I’m really disappointed. Mostly for Kirsch who’s been preparing all out for months for this classics’ period. He told us he would be ready for the season opener in Belgium. He is. He was disappointed last Saturday when he crashed at the Omloop. He was in the breakaway in Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne and he almost won the Samyn, finishing 2nd…I’m really disappointed for him but it’s true that all things considered with Justin Jules’ victory in France, it’s evidence that we recruited very well our new riders, that we took guys with mentality and motivation.

What can we expect from Kirsch for the rest?

He’s got an interesting profile: he’s good on the cobbles but he will be able to be present on small tours and can handle hills

That performance is consolidating Brandt in the opinion that his team had his place on the Tour of Flanders where it hasn’t been invited.
    We wish to reply with the pedal and with our results

”An Answer to the Tour of Flanders”

Alex Kirsch:
    I thought I could outsprint Guillaume. I made a mistake in starting from too far away. So it’s a disappointment but I don’t regret my race. Last Monday I wrote on a sheet of paper I wanted top5 here! It’s the Walloon opener, so it was very important for our team and we were very disappointed in the team not to have been invited at the Tour of Flanders. We wanted to show that we had our place. It was an answer. I want to keep on performing on our Flandrian races because I like cobbles a lot which suit me very well. I felt strong on the Samyn, it gives me motivation for the rest.

Arrimont Had Fun

Young hope Charlie Arrimont had fun when he attacked in the finale in the group of strong men and the eventual podiumers.
    It was the breakaway to take with 10 very good riders. I never managed to do that on a 1-class race. Then I tried to attack in a chase with Sénéchal. I showed up. I’m happy. Unfortunately, there’s no result in the end. This being said, it’s reassuring for the rest.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Latest Roadbooks