collapse

search

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 9570
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Dwars door West-Vlaanderen - Johan Museeuw Classic

Sunday, March 5th

The 2nd race of the Napoleon Games Cup takes place today, and it's a new addition to the cycling calendar, risen out of the ash of the stage race Driedaagse van West-Vlaanderen. It has cobbles and hills, + it's raining, so it should be good

The list of participating teams looks alright as well
  • #verandas VERANDA'S WILLEMS - CRELAN
  • #lotto LOTTO SOUDAL
  • #quickstep QUICK - STEP FLOORS
  • #bmc BMC RACING TEAM
  • #fdj FDJ
  • #jumbo TEAM LOTTO NL - JUMBO
  • #topsport SPORT VLAANDEREN - BALOISE
  • #wanty WANTY - GROUPE GOBERT
  • #wallonie WB VERANCLASSIC AQUALITY PROTECT
  • #roompot ROOMPOT - NEDERLANDSE LOTERIJ
  • #cofidis COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS CREDITS
  • #fortuneo FORTUNEO - VITAL CONCEPT
  • #aquablue AQUA BLUE SPORT
  • #gazprom GAZPROM - RUSVELO
  • #academy ISRAEL CYCLING ACADEMY
  • #cibel CIBEL - CEBON
  • #pauwels PAUWELS SAUZEN - VASTGOEDSERVICE CONTINENTAL TEAM
  • #tarteletto TARTELETTO - ISOREX
  • #delta DELTA CYCLING ROTTERDAM
  • #monkey MONKEY TOWN CONTINENTAL TEAM
  • #anpost AN POST CHAIN REACTION
~pdf Deelemerslijst

The race is live on VTM. Too bad it's one of three today at the same time :(
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1781
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    14-25 to 16-45cet.
    3 races, no problemo: TV record is my friend. ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1561
    14-25 to 16-45cet.
    3 races, no problemo: TV record is my friend. ;)

Well, I can do recording, ok - but only races that are broadcasted...
    Rumours have it the peloton is burst to pieces already. Sounds great! The Napoleon cup is on a positive trend! :)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10833
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    I watched parts of it. Maybe expectations were a bit too high after the good opening weekend and a brilliant le Samyn, but I felt it was a bit underwhelming
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    Handzame Classic

Friday, March 17

The next race of the Napoleon Games Cycling Cup is the self-appointed Primavera van het Noorden on Friday - the sprinters "classic" for all sprinters not going to Italy for Milano-Sanremo. In the past years Erik Baska, Gianni Meersman, Luka Mezgec, Kenny de Haes and Francesco Chicchi made it on the honor list. So well... yeah, some of those have won one or another race elsewhere in their career at least.

Defending champion #bora Erik Baska is not one of them. But maybe he can make it 2 on Friday.
    • WorldTour:
      • #quickstep Quick-Step Floors (Bel)
      • #lotto Lotto-Soudal (Bel)
      • #katusha Katusha-Alpecin (Zwi)
      • #bora Bora-Hansgrohe (Dui)

• Professioneel continentale teams:
      • #wanty Wanty-Groupe Gobert (Bel)
      • #topsport Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise (Bel)
      • #verandas Veranda’s Willems-Crelan (Bel)
      • #wallonie WB-Veranclassic (Bel)
      • #roompot Roompot-Nederlandse Loterij (Ned)
      • #gazprom Gazprom-Rusvelo (Rus)
      • #ccc CCC-Sprandi Polkowice (Pol)
      • #academy Israel CA (Isr)
      • #aquablue Aqua Blue Spor (Ier)
      • #nippo Nippo-Vini Fantini (Ita)

• Continentale ploegen:
      • #joker Joker-Icopal (Noo)
      • #pauwels Pauwels Sauzen-Vastgoedservice (Bel)
      • #coop Team Coop (Noo)
      • #anpost An Post-Chainreaction (Ier)
      • #sunweb Development Team Sunweb (Dui)
      • #leopard Lepoard PC (Lux)
      • #tarteletto Tarteletto-Isorex (Bel)
      • #cibel Cibel-Cebon (Bel)
    The provisional start list features some more or less prominent names though...

...among those last year's Coupe de France winner #katusha Baptiste Planckaert, #lotto Kris Boeckmans, #lotto Moreno Hofland, defending Napoleon Cup champion #verandas Timothy Dupont, #wallonie Roy Jans, U23 world champion #joker Kristoffer Halvorsen, the Canadian Cannonball #academy Guillaume Boivin, #aquablue Adam Blythe and 2013 race winner #wanty Kenny de Haes. Additionally #quickstep Quick Step brings some firepower for potentially successful attacks, namely Dries Devenyns, Jack Bauer and Iljo Keisse.

A profile can be found in the ~pdf technical guide, but is not of much use anyway. Still... as we all know, boring cycling is better than no cycling: the race will be live on VTM, and maybe also on some local Eurosport channels.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    I can now confirm that the race will be shown on the Eurosport player from 15-45cet.
    Probably without commentary, but given the alternative would probably be Kirby, that's a win, win in my book! :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

t-72

• National Champion
    Finally! The #joker train is back on track after derailing outside Nokeren this wednesday!

Fantastic sprint by #joker #rainbow Kristoffer Halvorsen (aka. "Doffen") handling chaos like Viviani!

Where's the jumping happily around on the floor smiley when you need it?  :D
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

t-72

• National Champion
    I dunno, in some aspects I don't quite easily identify as a bird  ;)

Anyway, here's more. Fast forward to 22 minutes should give you the last 2.5 km.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    Race #4: Market Heistse Pijl

Saturday, June 3rd

The Napoleon Cycling Cup has been on a break for a while, but it kicks off again on Saturday with the Heistse Pijl. Here are the cup standings after 3 of 10 races:

RANK TEAM NAME POINTS
    1      #wanty      VAN KEIRSBULCK Guillaume       36
    2      #jumbo      VAN EMDEN Jos       30
    3      #roompot      ASSELMAN Jesper       24
    4      #bmc      DILLIER Silvan       22
    5      #quickstep      KEISSE Iljo       19
    6      #wallonie      KIRSCH Alex       17
    7      #joker      HALVORSEN Kristoffer       16
    8      #aquablue      HANSEN Lasse Norman       15
    9      #aquablue      BLYTHE Adam       14
    10      #wanty      DEHAES Kenny       13

This may change significantly though, as the course of the Heistse Pijl seems to be the same as last year, not offering many opportunities for attacks. So the quick guys should move up in the rankings as it probably will end up in a pretty straight forward sprint

There is no list of participating teams available yet, but the race will be broadcasted live on VTM (and maybe also on Eurosport, in some countries at least)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:10 by search »

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    Race #5: Halle-Ingooigem

Wednesday, Juni 21st

(google translated)

Halle-Ingooigem is a one-day cycling race in Brussels which won the first edition in 1945 by Rik Van Steenbergen. Briek Schotte, another Flandrien, then was second. Between 1970 and 2000, were a lot of beautiful names on the honor roll, including Patrick Sercu, Eric Vanderaerden and Eddy Planckaert. In 2005 it was promoted to the category 1.1 UCI Europe Tour. Numerous stage winners in the Tour de France, including Janek Tombak and Baden Cooke came here to win. In recent years Halle-Ingooigem has become a true sprint festival and as the ultimate preparation course for the national road champion shelves.

Each edition of Halle-Ingooigem is started with 4 or 5 Pro Tour teams and a significant number of professional continental teams, plus the continental teams from home and abroad. The trail is about 200 km and consists of a slightly undulating run between Halle and Ingooigem through the Pajottenland and the Flemish Ardennes. In 2015 were quite a few Belgian top to start with, inter alia, local rider from Sep Marcke. On June 22, 2016 the 69th edition of Halle-Ingooigem is disputed and will be part of the Napoleon Games Cycling Cup - according to the Board of Yvegem Sporty "an excellent initiative to make our bike race even more national and international attention."

After four bunch sprints in a row, last year the breakaway stayed clear and Dries de Bondt took a fantastic victory ahead of Jens Keukeleire. Also generally, very different outcomes are possible on a parcours including the Kanarieberg, the Kruisberg, the Hotondberg and the Knokteberg. On the 17.7km finishing circuit (which they do four times) there are only two climbs though, the Hellestraat and the Tiegemberg, with the last one 12km away from the finish.

~pdf Technical Guide

Participating Teams:
    • #quickstep Quick-Step Floors
    • #lotto Lotto - Soudal
    • #fdj FDJ
    • #jumbo Team Lotto NL - Jumbo
    • #teambe Nationale selectie België
    • #cofidis Cofidis, Solutions Crédits
    • #fortuneo Fortuneo - Vital Concept
    • #roompot Roompot - Nederlandse Loterij
    • #topsport Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise
    • #verandas Veranda's Willems-Crelan
    • #wanty Wanty - Groupe Gobert
    • #wallonie WB Veranclassic Aqua Protect
    • #anpost An Post - Chain Reaction
    • #beobank Beobank - Corendon
    • #cibel Cibel-Cebon
    • #era ERA - Circus
    • #isowhey IsoWhey Sports  SwissWellness
    • #marlux Marlux - Napoleon Games
    • #pauwels Pauwels Sauzen - Vastgoedservice Continental Team
    • *be T.Palm Pôle Continental Wallon
    • #tarteletto Tarteletto - Isorex
    The provisional startlist looks very good, with guys like Gilbert, Terpstra, Keukeleire, Theuns, Stuyven, Vanmarcke, van Aert, Greipel, Roelandts, Bouhanni, van der Poel, Vantomme, Jules, Demare, McLay, Wijnants and so on :cool

Eurosport doesn't seem to cover it this time, but the race is live on VTM on from around ~15:30 cet
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    ~pdf final startlist

many of the bigger names (Gilbert, Terpstra, Greipel, Roelandts, van Aert) will not turn up, contrary to earlier announcements, but let's hope it'll still be a decent race
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6279
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    many of the bigger names (Gilbert, Terpstra, Greipel, Roelandts, van Aert) will not turn up, contrary to earlier announcements, but let's hope it'll still be a decent race
    Gives a chance for the 'sub-toppers' to show what they can do. :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 782
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    Despite some reasonable hellingen (c) Carlton Kirby, it wasn't too exciting to be honest.

There was a late break with some of the top teams but once FDJ got on the case it was always in their favour.
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1327
    Race #6 : Dwars door het Hageland

Next Sunday - 6 August - "Across the Hageland" is back!  :cool

I'm taking the freedom of a short preview, if you don't mind Search.  ;)

Dwars door het Hageland got facelifted this year, compared to last year.

Last year the race had 13km on gravel road, 10km on cobbles and 9 climbs.

This year it will just have 5km on cobbles and 7 asphalt climbs ... but 25km on gravel roads!

An overall vertical gain of 2000m and 25 non-asphalt sections in total.

Beside Nick Nuyens cared to have all the main obstacles in the last 100km while last year there already were a lot of difficulties in the first hour. That way the decisive escape broke away very early. This year they made sure that the first 90km were obstacle-free.

Main square in Aarschot and the Citadelle of Diest remain start and finish place respectively.

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/1.2962619

I'll post back that Gazet van Antwerpen article of Last year (5 August 2016) because I love the picture. The "Demerbroeck" gravel section between Langdorp (Frans Verbeeck's birthplace) and Testelt, a path that is usually taken by equestrian enthusiasts.  ;)

No info thus far about the startlist, the exact route and coverage that I could find. I'd request your help.  ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 13:18 by Echoes »
    "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain

No info thus far about the startlist, the exact route and coverage that I could find. I'd request your help.  ;)

VTM: 13-40 to 17-00cet

So, substantial live coverage.

Startlist. No WT teams. Very packed calendar atm.

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Dwars_door_het_Hageland_Aarschot_2017_Startlist

Post Merge: August 04, 2017, 21:18
    Seems to be some confusion over the time of live coverage, tomorrow.

TV Gids.nl give this:- 15:40 - 19:00
    UK Eurosport player gives this 15-00 - 18-30 BST (16-00 - 19-30cet)

Meanwhile, where I took the time from yesterday:

https://vtm.be/tv-gids/2017-08-05

Still gives the earlier schedule. :S
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 21:20 by Mellow Velo »

Echoes

• Road Captain
    Damned it was on Saturday, so today. I was sure it was on Sunday. Yikes, why always races on a Saturday. I have other things to do on Saturday.  :-x 

Sorry for my mistake, folks.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
     Having to record this.
    Burgos, the finish of the Euro women's race and now the Volta.
    Too much of a good thing.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    Mathieu Van der Poel probably raced the Tour of Alsace to get rhythm back after a break, without any ambition. He had poor results over there.

Great win by Mathieu here but I'm not sure he was 100% yet. For the first time I saw him really race smart. After both Dimitri Claeys attacks, you could see him looking back waiting for Wout to counter the move. Wout Van Aert did it twice. Wout looked too self-confident to me. It's surprising. He knows that against Mathieu you'd rather have to save energy but here, attack with 40km to go with only Joeri Stallaert in the wheel behind a large lead-group with names such as Piet Allegaert or Florian Sénéchal. Even Mathieu did not go along and waited for the rider moment to catch him back (even Gianni Meersman in the commentary box saw it coming). And then on the Citadelle of Diest, Wout attacked from below all the way. I guess he was super motivated because it's Niels Albert's former training roads and he's the race designer but still Wout could have played smarter, I think. Not sure he could've won though.

Anyway this amazing rivalry continues.  :cool and the race is still as beautiful as it gets.  :)

I have to enrage at the schedule. How come it ended at 6.30pm !!! My whole Saturday schedule was upside down.  :angry :P

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
     Just caught up watching most of the live coverage.
    What a great race that was.
    Not decided until the final lunge at the line.
    Didn't see quite as much of Terpstra's win, last year.
    The parcour are such a lovely mix of Flanders, as dash of Roubaix and lots of Tro Bro Leon. :cool
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    it was really exciting indeed. And as there was a (more or less) similar discussion in the Cycling Academy thread the other day... #roompot Roompot (unsuccessfully) was chasing really hard in the peloton after missing the decisive attacks from van Aert, van der Poel and others, although they had Taco van der Hoorn in front from the early break of the day. In the end Ligthart in 12th was the best finisher from the peloton - but van der Hoorn only narrowly missed the win.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain

Next up is the GP Jef Scherens (tomorrow 20 August)

The GP Jef Scherens was created in 1963 around Leuven in honour of 7-time track sprint World Champion Jef Scherens who settled in Leuven (where he passed away in 1986) after his cycling career while originally from Werchter also in Brabant, town famous for its international rock festival.

Jef Scherens was Sprint World Champion 6 times in a row (from 1932 to 1937). In 1938 he lost to Arie Van Vliet in the final. In 1939 both riders qualified for the finale as well but in the meantime WWII was declared and the final was cancelled. Albert Richter - later killed by the Nazis as he was a famous opponent to the regime - got the bronze medal.

But Jef Scherens came back in 1946 at age 37 but lost to Frenchman Georges Senfftleben. Only in 1947 at age 38 did he win his last World title defeating Louis Gérardin in the final.

Jef Scherens was born in 1909. During World War I his family escaped to Louduns in the Pyrenees, which was safer after the German invasion. There he was schooled in French. When back in Werchter after the war it was hard to talk Flemish/Dutch again but it quickly came back. Scherens was a farm boy who had to work hard in the field because after the war, they had nothing left. Then he worked in a leather factory in Zaventem/Haren. Every day he did 40km back & forth by bike to get to work and his high tempo gave him the idea to become a cyclist. He made his debut in 1926. A year later he won 40 races, which convinced him he could stop working to fully dedicate to cycling.

His mother affectionately nicknamed him "Poeterke", a word that in the Hageland is often used to refer to goats and lambs who were fast and souple. In the Brussels dialect in Haren it became "Poeske", an affectionate word for "cat". This later prove to fit very well with him as Jef Scherens was known for his final jump in a sprint whereby his front wheel took of from the ground a bit like Oliver Naesen's jump that got him this year's Belgian road title.

A final anecdote. I once had in hands the biography of King Albert I by Paul Werrie and with cartoons by Georges "Hergé" Rémi (known for his "Adventures of Tintin). It dates from 1934 right after the King was killed in a mountaineering accident. The book is a real hagiography but in it it was said that the King liked cycling and in particular this rider we called "le chat" ("Poeske"; "the cat"). Scherens' is not mentioned but readers at that time would have known whom it referred to.

(on this clip you can see him playing the accordion, doing gymnastic and piloting his plane.)

An article of Sport 70 about the 1975 edition won by Freddy Maertens ahead of Ronny Van de Vijver and Eddy Merckx. The article says that in the last 40km Eddy Merckx and Frans Verbeeck were very agressive in shaking the peloton as they had no chance in the sprint but Maertens had a great team around him with Walter Godefroot, Herman Van Springel and Ronnie De Witte who worked for him. However the spectators could not see that he played a key role in countering attacks, too. Frans Verbeeck - local hero - is the record holder at that race: four wins 1969 to 1971 and 1976.

-----------------------------

The route (unchanged in many years):

Stoempers Club Leuven is the organiser (also of the Brabantian Arrow), for a long time now. Perhaps since creation but verification is needed. At least the article above claims they already were in 1975.

The riders will have to make a 12.9km lap and then 13 times a 14.4km one with climbs such as  Keizersberg, Ludenscheidsingel, Wijnpers and the Naamsevest (literally "Bulwark of Namur").

Wijnpers is 370m with a 7% average gradient and a maximum gradient of 14% rather at the start of the climb. I climbed it ... on foot last Spring with a friend and thought it was doable at pro level but that there was room for attacks, still.

Keizersberg is 420m with an average gradient 5% so relatively easy. I also went there. There's a beautiful abbey on top of it:

On page 14 of the Technical Guide you've got the profile for the four main climbs of the lap.

Last year's edition was very pleasant to watch. A lot of movements on the climb and eventually a win for Dimitri Claeys. It was the last race in which I could see a very active Tim Wellens in 2016 but as a domestique for faster riders in the team. ;)

There should be streams available too:
    Usually Sporza would cover it but no info he could find about it.  ;)

Provisional Startlist from Directvélo

Nice presence of cyclocrossers with Wout Van Aert and Laurens Sweeck (with his two brothers). Laurens is in top form after winning 3 stages at the Tour of Namur and finishing 2nd to *ca William Elliot in the GC.

Lotto - Soudal
    1 WELLENS, Tim
    2 BOECKMANS, Kris
    3 DE BIE, Sean
    4 LEYSEN, Senne
    5 PLANCKAERT, Emiel
    6 SHAW, James
    7 VAN GOMPEL, Mathias
    8 WOUTERS, Enzo

Quick-Step Floors
    11 DE PLUS, Laurens
    12 CAVAGNA, Rémi
    13 KASPERKIEWICZ, Przemyslaw
    14 KEISSE, Iljo
    15 MARTINELLI, Davide
    16 SERRY, Pieter
    17 VAKOC, Petr

Team Lotto NL - Jumbo
    21 CAMPENAERTS, Victor
    22 CASTELIJNS, Twan
    23 JANSEN, Amund Grondahl
    24 LAMMERTINK, Steven
    25 ROOSEN, Timo
    26 VAN DEN BROECK, Jurgen
    27 VAN EMDEN, Jos
    28 VERMEULEN, Alexey

Fortuneo - Oscaro
    31 BONNAMOUR, Franck
    32 CORBEL, Erwann
    33 JARRIER, Benoit
    34 LEDANOIS, Kevin
    35 MOUREY, Francis
    36 PICHON, Laurent
    37 VACHON, Florian
    38 VALLEE, Boris

Roompot - Nederlandse Loterij
    41 ARIESEN, Tim
    42 ASSELMAN, Jesper
    43 KREDER, Raymond
    44 LIGTHART, Pim
    45 REINDERS, Elmar
    46 TUSVELD, Martijn
    47 VAN DER HOORN, Taco
    48 WEENING, Pieter

Sport Vlaanderen-Baloise
    51 ALLEGAERT, Piet
    52 DE GENDT, Aimé
    53 DECLERCQ, Benjamin
    54 LIETAER, Eliot
    55 SPRENGERS, Thomas
    56 VAN GESTEL, Dries
    57 VAN HECKE, Preben
    58 VAN LERBERGHE, Bert

Veranda's Willems-Crelan
    61 VAN AERT, Wout
    62 CORDEEL, Sander
    63 DE BONDT, Dries
    64 DEVOLDER, Stijn
    65 DUPONT, Timothy
    66 DUIJN, Huub
    67 MERLIER, Tim
    68 VERGAERDE, Otto

Wanty - Groupe Gobert
    71 BACKAERT, Frederik
    72 BAUGNIES, Jerome
    73 MEURISSE, Xandro
    74 MINNAARD, Marco
    75 VAN KEIRSBULCK, Guillaume
    76 VAN MELSEN, Kevin
    77 VANSPEYBROUCK, Pieter
    78 VEUCHELEN, Frederik

WB Veranclassic Aqua Protect
    81 DE WINTER, Ludwig
    82 DUQUENNOY, Jimmy
    83 ISTA, Kevyn
    84 JANS, Roy
    85 KIRSCH, Alex
    86 NAESEN, Lawrence
    87 SPENGLER, Lukas
    88 VANTOMME, Maxime

An Post Chain Reaction
    91 GOUGH, Regan
    92 JAMIESON, Adam
    93 MCKENNA, Sean
    94 SCOTT, Jacob
    95 SHAW, Damien
    96 STEWART, Mark
    97 TIETEMA, Bas
    98 VANDERAERDEN, Massimo

Bike Channel Canyon
    101 GARDIAS, Dexter
    102 LOWE, Sam
    103 LOWSLEY-WILLIAMS, James
    104 NOWELLS, Matt
    105 OPIE, Chris
    106 PARTRIDGE, Robert
    107 TANFIELD , Charlie
    108 TANFIELD, Harry

Cibel-Cebon
    111 COENEN, Dennis
    112 COOLS, Alexander
    113 DE BOCK, Stijn
    114 DIELEMAN, Michiel
    115 MAES, Alexander
    116 RUYTERS, Brecht
    117 STALLAERT, Joeri
    118 VERSCHUERE, Seppe

ERA - Circus
    121 BOSMANS, Wietse
    122 CANT, Jelle
    123 MERLIER, Braam
    124 SMETS, Gert
    125 SWEECK, Diether
    126 SWEECK, Hendrik
    127 SWEECK, Laurens
    128 VAN TICHELT, Yorben

Joker Icopal
    131 BREEN, Vegard
    132 FORFANG, Ole
    133 HAGEN, Carl Fredrik
    134 HOELGAARD, Markus
    135 HOEM, Bjorn Tore
    136 KNOTTEN, Iver
    137 SKJERPING, Kristoffer
    138 STIEN, Adrian Aas

Leopard Pro Cycling
    141 BROCKHOFF, Jan
    142 FOTI, Carmelo
    143 KRIEGER, Alexander
    144 MANDRYSCH, John
    145 NOMMELA, Aksel
    146 PONS, Gaëtan
    147 REKITA, Szymon
    148 REYNDERS, Jens

Metec-TKH
    151 BOUWMANS, Dylan
    152 DE LANGE, Thijs
    153 GMELICH MEIJLING, Jarno
    154 KREDER, Stefan
    155 LINDENBURG, Jim
    156 NIEUWPOORT, Jelle
    157 VAN BAKEL, Robbie
    158 VAN DEN BERG, Lars

Pauwels Sauzen - Vastgoedservice
    161 BOUCHER, David
    162 BOUVRY, Dieter
    163 DRUYTS, Gerry
    164 GEUENS, Alexander
    165 STEVENS, Timothy
    166 VAN DE KERKHOVE, Brent
    167 VAN DINGENEN, Jordi
    168 VERHELST, Louis

Riwal Platform Cycling Team
    171 AAEN JÖRGENSEN, Jonas
    172 CLAUSEN, Patrick
    173 GREGAARD WILSLY, Jonas
    174 KRON, Andreas
    175 NIELSEN, Nicolai
    176 SORENSEN, Chris-Anker
    177 STOKBRO, Andreas
    178 VINTHER, Troels Ronning

Tarteletto - Isorex
    181 ANECA, Ciske
    182 DE ROOZE, Niels
    183 DRON, Boris
    184 MANNAERTS, Jelle
    185 RUIJGH, Rob
    186 STOCKMAN, Abraham
    187 STOCKMAN, Michiel
    188 VERWAEST, Kevin

Team Coop
    191 AALRUST, Hakon
    192 AUSTEVOLL, Ole Andre
    193 BLIKRA, Erland
    194 BLIKRA, Havard
    195 HÖÖG, Gustav
    196 JENSEN, August
    197 LINDAU, Philip
    198 LUKKEDAL, Øyvind

Lire la suite : http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/60505/gp-jef-scherens-les-engages
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    RTBF is streaming the race live at 3.40pm. Other streams start at 3.30. I guess it's also covered by Sporza.

Eurosport is also covering it live.

There's another stream here: https://videosdecyclisme.fr/live-video-gp-jef-scherens-2017-direct-streaming/

As I posted on the Schaal Sels thread, this would be Laurens Sweeck's last road race this season, while he was subscribed at the Schaal Sels. The Lau does not wish to miss his cross season start. The Sweeck family is based in Leuven, so that is his home race.

http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/60605/dernier-rendez-vous-sur-route-pour-laurens-sweeck

He claims that younger generation cyclocrossers has reached a very high level and can push hard on the pedals on the road. Mathieu Van der Poel, Wout Van Aert, Gianni Vermeersch and Laurens Sweeck (the author of the Directvélo article forgot about Tim Merlier and Clément Venturini) have all been shining on the road this season. However Laurens would rather give it all in one hour in cross than in save energy in several hours on the road.

He won his first pro road race this year at the GP Jempi Monseré before adding 3 stages at the Tour of Namur with 2nd place at the GC just like at the GC of the Tour of Liège. In the future he hopes he can do well at the Tour of Belgium. He's already raced it last year but that was too early to show up. Now he's got more complete than he used to be so why not.  :cool

Post Merge: August 20, 2017, 14:31
    Live coverage of the GP Jef Scherens is underway on VTM :win
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 14:31 by Echoes, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Echoes

• Road Captain
    Sad outcome to a nice race. Given the very mild weather it was hard to avoid a bunch sprint. So said Kevin De Weert in the VTM commentary box. But it almost succeeded for Sean De Bie. It would've been nice. Sean escaped the breakaway he was in along with a Danish rider whose name I cannot remember (sorry) but the latter could not really take a turn and eventually dropped. Sean did the rest alone and got caught with about 200m to go.  :(

Lotto-Soudal really animated the race or I should say Tim Wellens and Sean De Bie, the two friends, formerly known as "Jonge Benen". Tim attacked three times on the Wijnpers and in the final ascent of it he countered Laurens De Plus in order to protect the breakaway Sean De Bie was in. De Plus had Julien Vermote ahead but could not care less apparently. Besides Tim attacked twice on the Keiserberg as well. And eventually was 9th in the sprint while it was a rather large bunch and he's not a sprinter.  :cool

Wout Van Aert was also good. He accompanied Lars Boom and Tim Wellens when the latter made his first attack on the Wijnpers. They were in the chase behind the early breakaway with among others Dries De Bondt (Wout's teammate), Timothy Stevens and Rob Ruijgh. Lars Boom also often was on the attack with Tim as well.

At a moment it was funny. You had that trio. Kevin De Weert said "three nice names" in that group. And the fourth one is also a nice teammate: Paul Herijgers on the motorbike.  :D Actually, there were three Cyclocross World Champions on the picture: Wout Van Aert, Lars Boom and Paul Herijgers.  #rainbow :cool

So the win is for Timothy Dupont who is thereby saving a rotten season.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    Race #8: Kampioenschap van Vlaanderen - Koolskamp

The Championship of Flanders (Kampioenschap van Vlaanderen in Dutch) is a race created in 1908 in Koolskamp, as such one of the oldest races in Belgium and probably second oldest to the Scheldeprijs in the Dutch-speaking part.

It's always been held in Koolskamp, West-Flanders, a town that has been merged to Ardooie, at the time of the global town merging reform of 1977. It goes to the neighbouring town of Pittem.

The race has had a hug influence on Flandrian cycling especially before WWII.

Karel Van Wijnendaele (pen name for Karel Steyaert) specifically referred to the 1912 edition in his "Het Rijke Vlaamsche Wielerleven" (1943) as the race that somehow initiated the "Flandrian" myth.

In that race, you basically had two groups that gathered together: the East-Flemings and the West-Flemings. Easterners were Aloïs Persijn, Abel & Guido Deveghelaere, René Anno and Pier Van de Velde. Westerners were Leon Buysse, Henri Van Lerberghe - Future Tour of Flanders winner in particular circumstances -, Michel De Baets and Achiel Depauw. Steyaert claimed that East-Flemings intended to make it a provincial match against West-Flemings.

Anyway that infamous 1912 race gave Steyaert the idea of forming mixed East and West Flemish teams for Madison races on outdoor summer velodromes where they could gather their strengths together against the World's best teams. At the 1913 24 Hours of Brussels they crushed the field and because of their agressivity and robustness was noticed by the French-speaking press who referred to them as "savages" and "inhuman". In the newspaper that he had just created - Sportwereld (present-day Sporting supplement of Het Nieuwsblad) - Steyaert defended his riders and referred to the French-speaking sport press as "anti-Flemish". He felt like he was despised himself.

Shortly after the 24 Hours came the Six-Days of Brussels and Steyaert said that that is where the "Flandriens" confirmed their name and fame. At that time on the final day, only the turning off of the light could stop the fight between turbulent spectators and so the French-speaking press said: "This band of half-savages who came to the Capital City have heavily misbehaved and these 'Flandriens' are no longer welcome". After World War I the Flandriens made their come back in Brussels and in Paris but they were again overshadowed by an anti-Flemish atmosphere because they were often equated with "Krauts" (Steyaert argued). Then they shipped off to the US but then he claimed that the mighty Six-Days organiser John M Chapman only asked the Flandriens to do the show because the results were fixed in advance. The Brocco/Coburn team had to win. What Chapman decided he got (Steyaert quoting Maurice Brocco, the Frenchman). So by 1923 Steyaert stopped managing track teams and the Flandriens got more and more famous with road racing.

So what is to be remembered is that originally Flandrian riders were not really known for their skills on cobble sections and abilities ride against the wind and such. They were initially track riders and came from the two provinces we call "Vlaanders" (East & West Flanders) as opposed to "Vlaanderen" which also includes Antwerp, Limburg and Northern Brabant, ... nowadays. The word "Flandrien" is bad French and was meant to be an insult from the French-speaking press in Brussels but Flemings adopted it in a sense of pride.

Cycling has been so influential in Belgian/Flemish society that nowadays the word "Flandrien" refers to anybody coming from the so-called "Vlaanders" as opposed to "Flemings" who may also come from Antwerp, etc. The word got into "everyday use".

------------------------

In its modern version the race is pretty uninteresting. It's just some sort of a Schelde Prijs in West Flanders. No climb, but one cobbled section. In the jargon we call it a sprintfest for your information.  :D

Like every Cup races it is covered by VTM, RTBF and Eurosport. At least normally.

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Kampioenschap_van_Vlaanderen_2017_Startlist
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
     It has the usual 14-20 to 16-45cet slot scheduled on VTM.
    I see that Mark Cavendish is down to ride this and the PvP Primus Classic, tomorrow.

All in all, a pretty select, if small  group of top sprinters with, Gaviria, Greipel, Groenewegen all taking part.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:44 by Mellow Velo »

Race Calendar

Upcoming Events

Latest Roadbooks