collapse

AG

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 3463
  • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
Re: The Hammer Series 2017
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2017, 11:32 »
but Echoes - those races and traditions changed because they werent successful.   Because they were no longer drawing the crowds or the tv audiences etc enough to cover the bills.

They dont cancel a successful race.

The fact that they havent found the winning formula yet doesnt mean they should stop trying. 
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1147
    « Reply #31 on: March 03, 2017, 11:40 »
    Do you have an idea of cycling's popularity until the eighties in Belgium, France or Italy? Well it was winding down a bit in the eighties but it still was really successful. At least more so than it is today.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5856
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #32 on: March 03, 2017, 12:03 »
    2) and then it is yet another race in the Benelux????? Top level cycling needs to grow its worldwide presence but seems to struggle to get out of the old  heartlands of the sport. By comparison, every cross country skiing race could be hosted in Norway and every alpine skiing race in Austria. The Benelux area would fit in a corner of either.
    RAces like these should go somewhere new and open up new markets. Places like Colombia and South Africa are begging for attention.
    The 2nd round of this is scheduled for *ch (18-20 August) in the UCI calendar, and round 3 will be in ... *za South Africa! (13-15 October)
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1617
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #33 on: March 03, 2017, 12:11 »
    but Echoes - those races and traditions changed because they werent successful.   Because they were no longer drawing the crowds or the tv audiences etc enough to cover the bills.

They dont cancel a successful race.

The fact that they havent found the winning formula yet doesnt mean they should stop trying.

The current formula looks suspiciously like a combination of 3 track events, held outdoors.
    So, no, not a winning formula to my old, traditional eyes.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5856
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #34 on: March 03, 2017, 12:19 »
    I think it is a great idea to try to capitalize on a broader audience like 20/20 has done in Cricket.
    This analogy to cricket is a great one.

I have no opinion one way or the other on cricket, but 4-day games interrupted by tea breaks and stuff ... come ON!
    That form of competition was invented when the players were gentlemen who took a 3-month boat trip to play Australia in the mid-1800s, and  cricket was basically the only organised sport in the British Empire.
    Hardly anybody is willing or, more importantly, able to take that much time out of their lives every week just to watch guys in white sweaters hit balls.
    They'll still do it for Test matches, because those are the pinnacle of the sport. But Random County 1 vs. Random County 2? Nah.

I'm a diehard cycling fan without a 9-5 job that would stop me from watching every race that's on TV, but even I have better things to do than to stare at a TV screen for 4 hours while 200 guys in lycra make their way through the landscape in some sh*t small race. I may have it on as "background noise", and depending on the stage profile I may drop other things for the final and/or the sprint.
    That doesn't mean I'm not glued to the screen all-day when a Monument is on. Or indeed the Omloop last Saturday.

Also, I came to cycling through watching the Tour de France, and learned about the other races along the way. I am confident that this is the way most cycling fans get interested, unless there's a bike race passing by their doorstep every year. But very few of us are afforded that luxury, and most that are live in a very congested area in the Low Countries.
    Hardly anybody starts out as a cycling fan by watching a 7-hour broadcast of Paris-Roubaix. But of those who get into cycling in other ways, some will end up like that. And the more people take some interest in cycling, the more people will end up watching that epic slog through mudstained pavés in Northern France.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 926
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #35 on: March 03, 2017, 13:47 »
    Give it a go. Lots of races struggle for context. This is a problem golf has, and even they have tried something new with the super 6s. And it was plenty fun. If it fails, so be it. The worries begin if it becomes too big a money spinner.

And if it's tradition that's holding it back, there was plenty of one on one field (track) racing, handicap racing that took place before tradition started. Those will still remain unexplored.

The other worry, of course, is fixing. Will be plenty of it. Then again, even that is defended in the name of tradition.
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 257
    • Awards: best new member of 2016
    « Reply #36 on: March 03, 2017, 13:52 »
  • ReplyReply
  • Giving my view on life, cycling and the desire to do a sub 26min 10mTT on the Isle of Man @JaunePeril

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1147
    « Reply #37 on: March 03, 2017, 15:21 »
    An example of a novelty in cycling that worked pretty well since the nineties is mountainbike to me (cross country & marathon though, downhill is not for me). It was sanctioned by the UCI by 1990 if I'm not mistaken and thereafter it entered into competition with cyclocross. Switzerland once was the best cyclocross nation in the days of Albert Zweifel & Peter Frischknecht. Nowadays it's pretty poor at cyclocross but shining in mountainbike because they'd rather race mountainbike than cyclocross. Schurter could've been a great cyclocrosser if he wanted to. In the nineties purists like the late Erik De Vlaeminck pested against it, too commercial and he preferred to high gears of cyclocross. Yet as much as I love cyclocross I'd be the first to admit that mountainbike now has a place in the cycling world because it conveys epicness, endurance and everything that cycling has always stood for. It's a total effort, not a series of sprints like the hammers. This to show that I'm not a nostalgic and not hermetic to any kind of novelty. It's the spirit that matters.

Would we ever see that in the Hammer series:

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1240
    « Reply #38 on: March 03, 2017, 22:51 »
    This is a really good point . Just look how lame these middle east races look , not just in the desert but in the towns where there are no fans. It makes for a very cold viewing experience.

Yes sell the race in a popular cycling location and grow out from there

The Eneco tour and the Dauphine in general draw crowds that compare with Abu Dabi and Quatar. If some races should be relegated, they should be on top of the list.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Upcoming Events

Latest Roadbooks