Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 6062
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: Danilith - Nokere Koerse
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2017, 10:27 »
It's rare that anyone is disqualified for drafting after a crash, although punishments do happen. Most actual dqs of that genre seem to  involve actual holding on to a vehicle. Was he at it in a really over the top way?

The crucial fact in this case was that it was another team's car (BMC) that he was drafting, at least from the bit I saw. If it's your own car that's when they tend to start enforcing rules. Meersman had time penalties in PN a few years back for doing just that, but I guess in a one day race they'd shuffle you down to last place in the group you finished in.

From a safety point of view though, it's probably one of those rules that should be more strictly enforced. It's not that difficult to think of a couple of riders who nearly died after crashing through car rear windows while drafting.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 868
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #31 on: March 16, 2017, 11:14 »
    It's rare that anyone is disqualified for drafting after a crash, although punishments do happen. Most actual dqs of that genre seem to  involve actual holding on to a vehicle. Was he at it in a really over the top way?

The crucial fact in this case was that it was another team's car (BMC) that he was drafting, at least from the bit I saw. If it's your own car that's when they tend to start enforcing rules. Meersman had time penalties in PN a few years back for doing just that, but I guess in a one day race they'd shuffle you down to last place in the group you finished in.

From a safety point of view though, it's probably one of those rules that should be more strictly enforced. It's not that difficult to think of a couple of riders who nearly died after crashing through car rear windows while drafting.

I guess in some way it would be perceived as unfair to Blythe to punish him for something that so many others do on a regular basis.

That being said, it was definitely unsafe, he was practically touching the bumper of the BMC car.

Also, he punctured with ~20km to go when the race was definitely on and there were plenty of attacks, so he must surely have been drafting for a while to get back into the punch. For him to then finish 2nd seems a bit ridiculous.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1353
    « Reply #32 on: March 16, 2017, 12:48 »
    Kris didn't react it too bad, I thought. He did not show any brutal sign of anger or anything. It was weird but quite decent. An incident that can happen and which we may quickly forget about.  :)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)