collapse

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 5348
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: Danilith - Nokere Koerse
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2017, 10:27 »
It's rare that anyone is disqualified for drafting after a crash, although punishments do happen. Most actual dqs of that genre seem to  involve actual holding on to a vehicle. Was he at it in a really over the top way?

The crucial fact in this case was that it was another team's car (BMC) that he was drafting, at least from the bit I saw. If it's your own car that's when they tend to start enforcing rules. Meersman had time penalties in PN a few years back for doing just that, but I guess in a one day race they'd shuffle you down to last place in the group you finished in.

From a safety point of view though, it's probably one of those rules that should be more strictly enforced. It's not that difficult to think of a couple of riders who nearly died after crashing through car rear windows while drafting.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 852
    • Awards: Rio Olympics Prediction Champ
    « Reply #31 on: March 16, 2017, 11:14 »
    It's rare that anyone is disqualified for drafting after a crash, although punishments do happen. Most actual dqs of that genre seem to  involve actual holding on to a vehicle. Was he at it in a really over the top way?

The crucial fact in this case was that it was another team's car (BMC) that he was drafting, at least from the bit I saw. If it's your own car that's when they tend to start enforcing rules. Meersman had time penalties in PN a few years back for doing just that, but I guess in a one day race they'd shuffle you down to last place in the group you finished in.

From a safety point of view though, it's probably one of those rules that should be more strictly enforced. It's not that difficult to think of a couple of riders who nearly died after crashing through car rear windows while drafting.

I guess in some way it would be perceived as unfair to Blythe to punish him for something that so many others do on a regular basis.

That being said, it was definitely unsafe, he was practically touching the bumper of the BMC car.

Also, he punctured with ~20km to go when the race was definitely on and there were plenty of attacks, so he must surely have been drafting for a while to get back into the punch. For him to then finish 2nd seems a bit ridiculous.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1315
    « Reply #32 on: March 16, 2017, 12:48 »
    Kris didn't react it too bad, I thought. He did not show any brutal sign of anger or anything. It was weird but quite decent. An incident that can happen and which we may quickly forget about.  :)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Latest Roadbooks

Recent Posts

Re: Race news 2018 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:35]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:21]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:12]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 05:25]

Re: Retirement announcements by search
    [November 16, 2017, 08:13]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2017, 20:35]