collapse

zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
  • Liked: 148
Advice on going to the Ardennes races.
« on: March 16, 2017, 22:40 »
This year I'll be travelling around the Low Countries and the nearby bits of Germany during Ardennes week. The plan is to incorporate going to watch LBL and either FW or AGR (probably FW) into the trip. We won't have a car or bikes with us, so it's trains (or the bus) to get around.

Can anyone here let me know what the practicalities of seeing the races are? Things like whether we can get to the Mur de Huy by public transport on the day or if we have to pay into some hospitality tent etc.

My gf will be with me and while she very much enjoyed watching the Ronde in Oudenaarde a couple of years ago, she is not a bike racing nerd and will probably not be keen on anything that involves truly inordinate hassle.

(I hope this is in a somewhat appropriate forum)
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 01:13 by zinoviev letter »

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3463
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Re: Advice on going to the Ardennes races.
    « Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 00:36 »
    so jealous - that sounds great

I know L'arri has been to these races a bit so would be able to give you some good advice
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1147
    « Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 08:27 »
    I've grown up in Namur about 30k from Huy but never been to the race.

Unfortunately no buses are climbing the Mur but bus TEC #126A to Marchin can bring you just below (from the station), step down at the "Huy Grand Place" stop. The climb is 10 minutes long on foot. However since Huy is not such a big town, it shouldn't be more than half an hour from the train station to get to the "Chemin des Chapelles" (real street name of the climb), so possible to do it all on foot.

I don't understand why you would have to pay a hospitality tent. Fortunately the area does not lack hotels but I guess they will be very crowded that day. The Mosan region (area alongside the Meuse) is very cycling freak. In February, every 3rd Saturday of the month, there's every year a cycling book market in Wanze (about 4km from the Mur) which I never fail to visit. People come here from across Western Europe (France, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Germany, Italy) to the event. Wanze was the start place of the last Belgian stage of the 2006 Tour of Italy.

Anyway hope you'll enjoy your stay and as a Walloon Belgian, I hope you'll chose for the Arrow (nothing against Dutch Limburg, though  ;))
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5856
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 18:28 »
    Never been to any of those races (have been to the Valkenburg Worlds in 2012).

For Huy, get there early & walk as far up the Mur as you can, then camp out there and make lots of new friends. There should be beer & frieten vendors to keep you fed & watered, and eventually the races will come by.

Anywhere on the Cauberg is a great spot in AGR, but it's been removed from the men's final ... :(

For LBL, I have no idea. I guess there's some public transport to Ans or any of the other climbs in the final (Saint-Nicolas and whatnot), but it may be more restricted than usual on race day.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 18:39 »
    Thanks Echoes, that's exactly the type of information I'm looking for.

I mentioned the hospitality tents because when I was googling watching Flèche on the Mur, most of the results (other than videos) were from tour companies trying to sell little trips including tickets into tents. It seemed very unlikely to me that it was the only option, but I thought I'd better make sure.

I think we will probably choose Flèche rather than AGR, partly because the date will fit our travel plans more easily and partly because I just prefer the race.
  • ReplyReply

• zinoviev letter

• Domestic Rider
    « Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 18:57 »
    Thanks Lukas as well.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Upcoming Events

Latest Roadbooks