collapse

Joelsim

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1260
    • Music To Your Ears
  • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
E3 Harelbeke
« on: March 19, 2017, 19:28 »
Record Bank E3 Harelbeke (1.UWT)

The route

The last two winners, Kwiatkowski and Thomas aren't racing this year, and of course 3 time winner Cancellara has retired. All eyes will be on Peter Sagan as he attempts to repeat the feat he managed in 2014.

The parcours features a number of bergs including the Oude Kwaremont and the Paterberg, the last of which is the Tiegemberg which appears roughly 30km from the end. By this time there'll be riders everywhere.

The favourites

Quick Step in particular have been strong this week and take an experienced team to E3 including Boonen, Stybar and of course Gilbert who lit up DDV yesterday before Lampaert took the win.

They won't have it all their own way though with Sagan, Van Avermaet, Kristoff and Betancur* in the list of starters.

As ever Sagan will need to be watched as he has the ability to just ride away from most riders, seemingly at will and he starts as the hot favourite. Clearly the race is likely to depend on the World Champion, any pretenders to the title will need to be extremely strong and tactically astute to distance the Bora rider.

***** Sagan
**** Van Avermaet, Stybar, Degenkolb,
*** Stannard, Naesen, Vanmarcke, Durbridge, EBH, Kristoff, Rowe, Benoot

*Yes I know. It was a joke.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 12:22 by just some guy, Reason: calendar »

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 972
    Re: E3 Harelbeke
    « Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 21:32 »
    Before the official preview may I share a clipping?  ;)

(Het Nieuwsblad last Wednesday)

The police will use the GPE3 facebook page to communicate if ever there are irregularities on the route. Thereby the security services want to prevent any incident. Last year the GPE3 like Dwars were held shortly after the Brussels/Zaventem terrorist attack. The GPE3 Facebook page is followed by 7,000 cycling fans and their Twitter account by 11,000 of them.

The organisers also have 11 fixed camera's in the finish area and two drones as extra guards.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10242
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 10:43 »
    To be previewed on Tuesday.

:shh

:cool

Tuesday after the Race  :-x :angel
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Joelsim

• Road Captain
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 11:25 »
    Tuesday after the Race  :-x :angel

The race begins in the seaside resort of E3 and after several high mountains reaches Harelbeke. Weather expected to be 40 degrees in the shade with a wind chill factor of -20.

Someone from Cannondale-Drapac FTW, FWIW.

Yes, next Tuesday.*

*Tonight I promise. To be honest I wanted to see who looked in decent shape today first.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:57 by Joelsim »

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 922
    « Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 00:21 »
    http://inrng.com/2017/03/gp-e3-harelbeke-preview-2017/#more-30754

Movistar don’t bring cobbled conqueror Imanol Erviti but will hope Carlos Betancur can shine in the event of a brunch sprint.

:lol
  • ReplyReply
  • Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 250
    • Awards: best new member of 2016
    « Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 07:57 »
    I just love this race! It might be because it's a bit different by being on a Friday My pick for today is Jasper Stuyven...

• ReplyReply
  • Giving my view on life, cycling and the desire to do a sub 26min 10mTT on the Isle of Man @JaunePeril

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8438
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 08:18 »
    *be Het Nieuwsblad's star rating for today:

***** Sagan
    **** Terpstra, GvA
    *** Stybar, Boonen, Kristoff
    ** Gilbert, Benoot, Rowe, Stuyven
    * Naesen, Degenkolb, EBH, Vanmarcke, Boom
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3158
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 09:05 »
    the star rating might be a tad hard on Degenkolb - I would have had him at 2 stars.

Otherwise I probably almost agree with that
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 250
    • Awards: best new member of 2016
    « Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 09:11 »
    Not much faith in Vanmarcke with only one star. He really needs a big result.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 8438
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 09:22 »
    Not much faith in Vanmarcke with only one star. He really needs a big result.

yeah, he isn't quite back to form after his Strade Bianche crash though. And now he also fell sick or something after Dwars. He plans to start today & in GW, but I don't think there's too much to expect
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 09:33 »
    yeah, he isn't quite back to form after his Strade Bianche crash though. And now he also fell sick or something after Dwars. He plans to start today & in GW, but I don't think there's too much to expect

#cannondale strikes again
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 750
    • Awards: Reigning Vuelta Prediction ChampRio Olympic Games Prediction Champ
    « Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 10:27 »
    the star rating might be a tad hard on Degenkolb - I would have had him at 2 stars.

Otherwise I probably almost agree with that

True, before last year he looked in similar form to Sagan is now. I think after the injury though he is still regaining form to an extent, has proved that he can sprint on flat / slightly uphill well again but hasn't actually raced on cobbles (I don't think) since so will be interesting to see how he goes.

Personally I think Trek might go with Jasper for this one and back Degenkolb for G-W, RVV, P-R
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
      • Music To Your Ears

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 10:38 »
    well he already won MSR ... cant say I blame him for wanting to win a 2nd monument and concentrating on that. 
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1381
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 10:57 »
     Sporza's live coverage slot is 14-15 to 18-00cet, so no complaints there!

Eurosport player has live coverage from 15-00cet, but I can't say if any of the ES "family" are breaking ranks to show it live on tv instead of Catalunya.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 10:58 »
    Sporza's live coverage slot is 14-15 to 18-00cet, so no complaints there!

Eurosport player has live coverage from 15-00cet, but I can't say if any of the ES "family" are breaking ranks to show it live on tv instead of Catalunya.

on E2 in *se
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 11:00 »
    yep I have E3 on Eurosport here ... Catalunya after
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 12:29 »
    well he already won MSR ... cant say I blame him for wanting to win a 2nd monument and concentrating on that.

He had already planned at the start of the season to skip the cobbled races.  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #21 on: March 24, 2017, 17:02 »

:win

wonder if AG will speak cycling with me again after that :lol
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #22 on: Today at 00:34 »
     :angry    :angry     :angry     :angry     :angry     :angry     :angry    :angry    :angry    :angry    :angry

Damn It !!!!

:lol

They were the 2 strongest - Naeson was very good. 

It wasnt nearly as entertaining a race as Dwars Door Vlaanderen though.  Mostly we spent the race wondering if the group behind were going to be bothered chasing.  They just never seemed to work together.  Sagan had a guy in the break so decided that he didnt need to work (and then got caught up ina  crash and delayed).   Trek, Lotto, Katusha and others all spent time at the front, but mostly refused to work together to bring it back.  At the front of the bunch you were much more likely to see a BMC or Quickstep rider marking than actual pacesetting.

So - What we learned

1 - Phil is BACK !!!!    2 podiums in 3 days is a good indication that he is in form and ready for Flanders

2 - Quickstep made the pace ... but punctures at the wrong time meant that only Phil made the move when it happened.  They probably wont be thrilled with that return

3 - GVA in good form.  He seems a lot more settled and confident than previous years with all those second places and struggling to find a way to win.    I like the gold bands on his sleeves - much better than a gold bike.

4 - Sep VanMarcke wont be there at the end of Flanders.  Twice in 3 days he has not had the strength ... and if you dont have it in a 206km race, how do you expect to last the distance over 260?

5 - Sagan unlucky in being caught in a crash - but he was riding in the bunch with all the strongest contenders in the move in front.  Its not the normal way of things for Sagan.  MSR proved he is in shape so still expect him to defend RvV with his usual aggressiveness

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #24 on: Today at 10:43 »
    I haven't seen Dwars door België but and have just seen the E3 on Youtube (not live though) and I may safely say it was a great race. 70km long breakaway? Would you see that very often on stage races?

Great to see an all-Belgian top3 with one Walloon and two Waaslanders.   :D By the way, it's nice to see how there's still a great companionship between those two Waaslanders. When Gilbert attacked on the Tiegemberg, Van Avermaet countered and did not take turn right away in order to let Naesen get back on the descent. Remember that Greg and Ollie are very good friends. I referred to this after Plouay (remember Greg countered Rui Costa and did not take any turn because Ollie was still in front and eventually won that one). Greg founded a kind of club of training mates from the Waasland along with his Ongena cousins. Mathias Ongena asked Greg with Ollie could join in. Greg nodded and then when he realised that Ollie could keep up with him in the climbs, he realised that he had found a huge talent.  ;) :cool

I also never really realised how much Naesen's position on the bike was a thing of beauty.  :) And this sprint start was really impressive.

Also some say Vanmarcke is really done now but given the fact that at Dwars he had an offday or rather was hoping it was but an offday, still felt the pain at his ribs and saw the start of a flu, I think it was reassuring to see him get back to the main group after the decisive escape even though he had to drop further on. Let's not forget he was kept by the Jack Bauer crash (didn't know Bauer raced for Quick Step, by the way). I think he still can find back his best shape, if only for Paris-Roubaix which remains his best race.  :)
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Latest Roadbooks