Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1266
Re: Ronde van Vlaanderen vrouwen
« on: April 05, 2017, 20:09 »

Someday It Should Be Bingo Here

(Het Nieuwsblad – Last Monday)

Lotte Kopecky was a very good 5th after American winner Coryn Rivera

After a nice finale Coryn Rivera (24) can call herself the first Non-European winner of the Tour of Flanders for women. The American was the fastest in a sprint of large group, our fellow countrywoman Lotte Kopecky ended at a good 5th place.

Yesterday it long seemed that a royal quartet with Elisa Longo Borghini, Annemiek Van Vleuten, Anna Van der Breggen and Katarzyna Niewiadoma would compete for the win. On the Kruisberg with 26km from the finish line, the quartet accelerated strongly but the gap never increased above the half minute. With the contribution of a strong Team Sunweb duo Lucinda Brand and most of all Ellen Van Dijk a large chase group could come back with less than 2 km to go, among them was Lotte Kopecky.

When we made the junction I decided to take Cecchini’s wheel but she stayed behind and then I started moving up myself. At that moment Rivera was already passing me. I could not make the sprint I had eyed for. I have never felt so good in a finale this season. I’m disappointed but on the other hand: I’m only just 21 and end 5th at the Tour of Flanders. Then I should be glad. I think I didn’t make a lot of mistakes. I was always at the front and did not have the feeling that I was less strong than anyone else today. Someday It Should Be Bingo Here

Lotte Kopecky is already looking forward to another objective. Next Friday she is leaving for Hong Kong for the Track Worlds where she will partner Jolien D’Hoore for the Madison, openly ambitioning the world title.

In the approach of the track Worlds I trained on the track last week. It seems that that preparation is not that bad to race a good Tour of Flanders. I had already reconed the Tour’s route much earlier because getting the World title is now so much more important. With the juniors I was already very close, now with Jolien it’s really a goal in itself to get that rainbow jersey. I now end 5th at the Tour but it’s not a reason to focus more insistently on the road. The track remains as important until the Tokyo Olympics.

Kopecky’s track mate Jolien D’Hoore never was in contention for the win yesterday and came 5+’ minutes behind.
I immediately felt that I had no power in the legs. I quickly “turned the nail” [Dutch idiom, I guess] and worked for the team. Certainly because Longo Borghini was really great. Then you shouldn’t doubt. I didn’t want the team to sacrifice themselves for me for a possible 5th place. Now I should try to quickly “turn the nail” with the eyes on the Worlds. With Lotte we should fully target the World Title. Shame that she has just missed the podium. Her performance shows that she’s ready for the Worlds.

D’Hoore even fetched bidons at the team car in the last race hour.

Coryn Rivera : Former Crosser Now Also Wins Classics

Coryn Rivera is a surprise winner and also not again. A few weeks ago she got the Alfredo Binda Trophy. The career of 24 year old American has reached a stream acceleration since she came to Team Sunweb this year. Until last year she only won a few stages in stage races but big wins stay out. In her youth years she seemed to make it as a crosser. She was three time national champion in cross in the youth category but not long after she chose for the road.
Every year I came to race more and more in Europe and last winter the time seemed right to switch to a European team but I hadn’t expected to win top races so soon. I’m living like in a dream

The Laatste Nieuws article will come in the next few days if you are interested but I'm too tired right now. It has interesting info too.  ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Recent Posts

Re: World Championships 2017 by hiero
    [September 24, 2017, 22:50]

Re: World Championships 2017 by Mellow Velo
    [September 24, 2017, 22:04]

Re: World Championships 2017 by Echoes
    [September 24, 2017, 21:34]

Re: World Championships 2017 by Servais Knavendish
    [September 24, 2017, 20:19]

Re: World Championships 2017 by DJW
    [September 24, 2017, 20:17]

Re: World Championships 2017 by LukasCPH