collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1138
Re: Ronde van Vlaanderen vrouwen
« on: April 06, 2017, 21:13 »
As promised

(Het Laatste Nieuws on the same day)

Lotte Kopecky surprises with 5th place but …

Until Tokyo All for the Track

In Flanders since the development of female cycling Jolien D’Hoore has gained the status as ‘leading lady’. Fairly but the East-Fleming more and more has to deal with the young snake Lotte Kopecky (21): “I’m making firm steps. That’s true”.

It wouldn’t quickly occur to Gilbert, Van Avermaet or Sagan but Lotte Kopecky prepared for this Tour of Flanders … on the track. That’s the way it is. Next Friday, Lotte Kopecky flies off with Jolien D’Hoore to Hong Kong where the Track Worlds are on the agenda. The duo are openly aiming for gold in the Madison. Also, today, tomorrow and on Wednesday, both are training together at the Eddy Merckx Flemish Cycling Center. Lotte Kopecky does not want to leave anything to chance. “I would really like to get a world title. I’ve never succeeded therein yet.”

All things considered the Tour of Flanders was just an “intermezzo” for Lotte Kopecky. Firm if you are then part of a 15-woman lead group sprinting for the win.
Damn! I had super legs. I digested every climbs without trouble and kept up with the toppers. We kept the quartet in sight that attacked on the Kruisberg (Ellen Van Dijck, Elisa Longo Borghini, Annemiek Van Vleuten and Katarzyna Niewiadoma, ed). After the Paterberg on the long straight roads to Oudenaerde we bridged the gap. At that moment I started to dream a little. In the Ghent-Wevelgem bunch sprint it didn’t prevail because I was in the wind way too soon but here I was better positioned and could wait a little longer. I keep focusing on the track until Tokyo 2020. At that time I’ll still be 24.

Jolien D’Hoore Has a Total Offday

Jolien D’Hoore had expected better of her Tour of Flanders than 61st in a peloton that crossed the line more than 5’ behind winner Rivera, a race in which she was 2nd in 2015. She looked brave at the finish but couldn’t hide her disappointment. “Of course I expected better but quickly noticed that I didn’t have good legs while my teammate Elisa Longo Borghini was perfectly in order. Then you shouldn’t hesitate and play her card. What the reason was? At the moment I’m still in search of an answer. Be that as it may, keep the head up and focus on the track Worlds in Hong-Kong.”

RIVERA Sprints for the Win: Almost Dropped on the Kwaremont

The finale of the 14th edition of the Women’s Tour of Flanders was no food for the hardliners. 19 riders among whom Lotte Kopecky (Lotto Soudal Ladies) sprinted in Oudenaerde for the win and eventually Coryn Rivera could throw her front wheel as first on the line.

A few kilometers sooner, the 24 year old American was almost dropped.
On the Kwaremont it was very had for me. Anyone who had told me at that moment I would win I would have thought he was crazy. I could just hang up and then my team did everything in order to pave the way for a sprint. That prevailed and I’m happy that I could finish their job off.
[probably not Coryn’s words, sorry]

Rivera had to look for her own way in the sprint and she did it with style. Full of disbelief she crossed the line with both hands on the face.
Winning the Tour of Flanders is a dream. It probably cannot get nicer than this. This is by far the most beautiful win of my career. It feels like a dream
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)