collapse

Poll

How good did you think de Ronde was this year

AG

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 3340
  • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
Rate de Ronde
« on: April 03, 2017, 02:41 »
How good was it?   
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Re: Rate de Ronde
    « Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 02:42 »
    Obviously I am voting 10 ...  :D
  • ReplyReply

• stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 292
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 08:40 »
    I thought it was really enjoyable until the banner. After that it was a procession. Van Baarle deserves credit and Terpstra's 'sprint' was as amusing as ever.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3220
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 10:03 »
    Well, Flanders always gets a 7 just for being Flanders.

Then add 3 points for Phil being ballsy enough to try a 55km solo break.

Then add 1 for Sagan, GVA and Naesen trying (eventually) to bridge back.

Then take 2 away for QuickStep putting a rider in ever other group on the road, just sitting on. Like Terpstra, who did no work and then pipped van Baarle to a podium that he deserved more.

So I make that a 9...  :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 820
    • Awards: Reigning Vuelta Prediction ChampRio Olympic Games Prediction Champ
    « Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 10:32 »
    Gilbert's ride is obviously worthy of a ten, but other than that we saw a lot of what we've seen the past few weeks.

Everyone said the Muur was too far out to make a difference and Quickstep and Sky managed to rip the race apart, so a couple of extra points for that.

It might have been a different race had Vanmarcke not been taking out by 0.25* pavement and taken Rowe with him, Sep can't catch a break.

But it was another total fail for #lotto #jumbo #sky . #trek were more active but mostly with Felline, Degnkolb's tactic has just been to sit on any group to sprint for fifth for weeks now, nobody wanted to chase Gilbert from 50km out which was a bit pathetic.

One of the best individual performances ever. If Sagan and Sep had stayed up right then could have been one of best ever. Overall 7/10
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1062
    « Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 10:57 »
    A truly historic ride from Gilbert, but my overriding sense is one of disappointment that the Sagan crash robbed us of a thrilling finale. my gut feeling was that Sagan and GVA were controlling the gap to keep as many riders as possible with them, all ready for a final assault, both prepared to work with each other and sprint it out at the end. I still had Gilbert as favourite but I would be really interested to know what the time gap was at the time of the crash, because it was only 53 seconds back to GVA after the Patterberg despite the crash and the wait for a bike.

So score of 7 for Gilbert throwing the dice and getting a double six, but... was shaping up to be a 10.
  • ReplyReply

• DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 820
    • Awards: Reigning Vuelta Prediction ChampRio Olympic Games Prediction Champ
    « Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 12:30 »
    10/10 for Kirbyism's when he started saying that there might be a secret alliance between "former teammates Gilbert and Boonen" :fp
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3220
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    « Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 12:46 »
    10/10 for Kirbyism's when he started saying that there might be a secret alliance between "former teammates Gilbert and Boonen" :fp

And 11/10 for Sean Kelly's pronunciation of our race winner as "Gillipe Philbert" on multiple occasions. Once, as I recall, he tried 3 or 4 times to say it and still failed.  :lol
  • ReplyReply

• stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 292
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 13:21 »
    And 11/10 for Sean Kelly's pronunciation of our race winner as "Gillipe Philbert" on multiple occasions. Once, as I recall, he tried 3 or 4 times to say it and still failed.  :lol

Whenever Kelly comes on the mic, my daughter says 'what language is he speaking Daddy?'
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 257
    • Awards: best new member of 2016
    « Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 18:28 »
    That race was a 10 from me. All of the big players involved in some way, shape or form. A fairytale ending for Gilbert with heartbreak for Boon and Sagan. I didn't think I'd ever see Sagan make such an error but there you go.

I'm really looking forward to P-R now.
  • ReplyReply
  • Giving my view on life, cycling and the desire to do a sub 26min 10mTT on the Isle of Man @JaunePeril

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1058
    « Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 21:00 »
    There's no need for a heartbreak for Sagan. He made a blunder and so he's down case closed. However he dragged Greg and Ollie in his mistake and that is unforgiveable. Beside Sep needs a lot more compassion to because he's had bad luck and week after week !!!!

In order to measure what Gilbert has achieved yesterday. These figures really speak volumes. It comes from today's Laatste Nieuws

Only six rides were longer solo raids (in the lead) in the history of the Tour of Flanders.

Henri Van Lerberghe (120km) in 1919

Leon Devos (120km) in 1922 (the year the Tour got international with the Pélissier brothers in)

Fiorenzo Magni (75km) in 1951

Eddy Merckx (73km) in 1969

Fiorenzo Magni (67km) in 1950

Rudi Altig (60km) in 1964

Laatste Nieuws said 6 riders but that's only five riders since Magni did it twice.

Of course Phil is front page of almost every newspaper under the sun here in Belgium whether Dutch-speaking or French-speaking (I haven't checked the Grenz Echo, the German-speaking newspaper): Laatste Nieuws, Nieuwsblad, De Morgen, De Standaard (those two not being sport-oriented and yet), the Libre Belgique, the Soir, the Dernière heure, etc. I'm going to make a round-up during the week if I have time for it and if you are interested.  ;)

• ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 628
    « Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 21:12 »
    It gets a 7 from me.

Great (10/10) individual performance from Phil Gil but visually as a race it was more good than great. It definitely could have been great if it werent for the interaction of a dark blue coat and the world champs handlebar but after that crash I didn't feel he was being brought back. it does go to show on what smal margins a bike race can change and as with Stybar and Van den Burgh a few years back at roubaix if you ride to close to the crowd you might just interact with them.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Domestique
    • Liked: 1029
    « Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 23:04 »
    #quickstep Philippe Gilbert's ride was obviously top notch, but soloing 55 km without signs of weakness - that robs me of some tension and excitement. Some time after the Paterberg 1 time this was just not very interesting anymore. Compare that to the finale of Milan-San Remo: Combine them for a perfect race  :D I think I'll put 7 - a clear deduction for having a winner that doesn't allow competitors in the race.
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 20:43 »
    As promised the front pages of a few Belgian newspapers on Monday 3 April .

La Libre Belgique headlined "Philippe Gilbert's Solo Feat at the Tour of Flanders"

Het Nieuwsblad:

"King Philip Reigns over Flanders" (it's of course a pun, since the King of Belgium is also Philip and considered pro-Francophone)

"Belgian Champion wins the Tour of Flanders after impressive 55km solo"

There's also a picture of the crash on the front page "But what if Sagan hadn't crashed?"

Comment below: "On foot crossing the line. Philippe Gilbert crowned himself King of Flanders in his Red-Yellow-Black jersey after a brilliant Tour. The last time a rider did longer with a 73km solo. Who else than Eddy Merckx?" (sorry I cropped the last bit)

Het Laatste Nieuws:

'Philippe Gilbert: "When Attacking I Thought: Am I Mad?"'

Also a picture of the crash with a comment by Van Avermaet: "Without That Crash It Still Could"

Okay I cropped again so below there a comment by Phil who says "But look my career is not over yet. Now Sanremo and Roubaix."

Then an avatar suggestion for AG  ;) (from Het Nieuwsblad):

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 10:28 »

No Attack Can Get More Heroic

(Het Nieuwsblad – 03 April)

Cycling redactor Wim Vos saw a memorable Tour of Flanders thanks to Philippe Gilbert

So it’s become one for history, the 2017 Tour of Flanders. An edition which you will talk about in three decades. Thanks to Philippe Gilbert (34). With a bluffing solo he defeated and silenced everybody. Over 55 kilometers alone in the lead. No Attack Can Get More Heroic. Cycling history has added a memorable moment.

And so for years we’ve moaned about the fact that the Tour of Flanders remained closed for long. More certainly with these loops. The Tour was too much a waiting race, we grunted. With this one we promise Wouter Vandenhaute that we will never make this error again. A race that opens up with 100km to go, a solo that lasts for 55km. It won’t get more spectacular any time soon. With this Philippe Gilbert improbable raid as absolute summum.
    A shining Patrick Lefevere considered it Merckxian [so did Sven Nys who is usually level-headed]. An adjective that is usually way too quickly used in the cycling milieu but this time it comes from someone who has raced against Merckx himself [“was er geen speld tussen te krijgen”, cannot translate that]. This was lierally an achievement that has been made by just one man in the Tour of Flanders in the past fifty years. A man – himself meanwhile members of the Board of Administration of Quick-Step Floors – who breathlessly has seen how Gilbert held through the tempo till the end.
    Extraterrestrial. Powerful. Unequalled. Fabulous. We could fill this page in with laudable adjectives to the attention of Philippe Gilbert. We will spare you that. Just sur on synomiemen.net and click on “uitmuntend” (“brilliant”) and just know that all you would find there could apply to Gilbert yesterday. Unsurprisingly in he got a Ronde 10 further in this newspaper which only Van Avermaet got this year [that is a special article]. This was much more than just an improbable physical feat of strength with  which Gilbert in one hit establishes himself as one of the most complete riders of his generation. This was also a mental and tactical piece of bravery. Mental because you have to dare to. hasn’t the new cycling become a sport for the one-trick ponies? In recent years that fact was insisted upon. How in these new days you’d better save your strength. He who wastes his energy pays the price for it. That reasoning. So most of all we shouldn’t whine that it sometimes keep closed a bit longer. There are not many advocates of this theory left after yesterday, are there?

In the last few weeks we’ve already noticed that. Attacks were again rewarding – it was already the case in Dwars door België, E3 Harelbeke and Ghent-Wevelgem. But these were all of them still with an elite group. That a solo could prevail with still one hour and a half to go. When Gilbert attacked we wondered in the press hall whether he hadn’t gone wild. But one man believed in it: Gilbert himself. Only already for so much guts and self-confidence he deserved a prize yesterday. Because in this manner not only Gilbert but also you and I are a bit winner of this Tour of Flanders. Race cannot get more beautiful.

Patrick Lefevere will also gladly approve. This was also for him the Tour of his being really right. For his choice for Gilbert, mostly that. What others only could see the return of the Ardennes rider, Lefevere saw a future winner of the Tour of Flanders. The eye of the master and how it still does not fail. But most of all Lefevere saw his believe in an offensive cycling rewarded. With three riders in the sensational 14-man escape Boonen who sacrificed himself heart & soul and thereafter Trentin and Terpstra were breaking the chase behind Gilbert. This was a tactical masterpiece of a team that has already dared to attack for the whole start of the season. We wrote it all in advance that the return of the Muur of Geraardsbergen was mostly symbolical. It would certainly not be decisive so far from finish, certainly not. Did we know that one team and one man thought differently. Gilbert has promptly replied to us all 

-------------------------

It's a shame that I don't really have time to translate every article anymore. It would take me a few weeks and I guess after the cycling season has ended nobody would care about that edition of the Tour of Flanders anymore. So for the moment I just give you that one because it was the shorter. Translating is a passion for me but it's also quite intensive. Thanks for your comprehension.  ;)
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 11:07 »
    Then an avatar suggestion for AG  ;) (from Het Nieuwsblad):

Eheh AG tell me you didn't feel forced, tell me?  :D
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 10:25 »
    totally not - I like  :D
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Upcoming Events

Latest Roadbooks