collapse

AG

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 3483
  • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
Re: Amstel Gold Race
« on: April 17, 2017, 02:53 »
and lastly - with Matthews - I had to laugh. 

I had just finished reading this before the race

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/storystream/i-want-attack-amstel-gold-matthews

Matthews' declaration comes in response to Philippe Gilbert's criticism of his "waiting" at De Brabantse Pijl where the Australian finished 11th ahead of Gilbert in 15th.   

"It's easy for Gilbert to talk, he had three teammates in the escape and then some in the peloton. I had to do everything alone and I knew when he attacked I had to follow. If I left, he would come behind me and stay in my wheel. So I did not have any options."

And yet it seemed the newly crowned Tour of Flanders champion may have touched a nerve or two, the Canberran saying he wanted to vary his tactics.

"I'd love to be an attacking rider like van Avermaet or Gilbert. Change some ingrained habits and not sit and wait for the sprint.

yet at Brabantse Pijl - his lack of team mates didnt end up costing him the race - his inability to go did.  Vakoc and Wellens bridged from the peloton and contested the sprint.  Matthews' lack of team mates wasnt the issue - he simply couldnt go with them at the end.

And at Amstel Gold - it was all talk.  Far from attacking - when the moves were being made - both the Benoot move, and when things split up with 30 to go and GVA/Valverde went ahead ... Bling was nowhere.

I have no doubt that with the new finish he WILL win this race.  It is perfect for him.   But he has to come here in better shape. 
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Latest Roadbooks