collapse

AG

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 3500
  • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
La Fleche Wallonne
« on: April 19, 2017, 04:55 »
La Fleche Wallonne

First run in 1936, the Fleche, or the 'Arrow' missed just one edition during the war in 1940, so while not as old as LBL still has a long and rich history.

The race is of course dominated by the finish up the famous Mur de Huy, a horrible finish to a tough race. The Mur is 1.3kms long at an average of 9.3%, but it is really steep in parts, particularly on the inside of some bends, hitting over 24% in places. Go too early and you get swamped by the late finishers

The first 127km of the 204km race undulate across the Ardennes, sapping the legs and allowing a few riders the opportunity to furrow a lead before the punchy stuff begins and their advantage is quickly reeled back in. The first climb of the day is the Côte d’Amay, which is closely followed by Côte de Villers le Bouillet. Then the riders hit the Mur for the first time at 141km, they will scale it a further two times. This first accent also marks the beginning of a two lap circuit around Huy. The Côte d’Ereffe is tackled first and then the Côte de Cherave before being greeted by the Murr for the second time, which will leave just under 30kms to go and one final lap to complete.

The pace on this final circuit will ramp up, as expect to see the likes of Tim Wellens and - well possibly just Wellens  :lol … show their hand with an attempt, or attempts, of a late attack before the race, reaches its crescendo on the third and final climb up the Mur de Huy. The final climb is only 1.3km long and starts relatively easy, however with 900m to go the gradient jumps up to 11%, 17%, back down to 14% with the final 100 metres a mere 6%. It’s this intense middle section where the winning move will be made, or rather the final move no one can match. It’s a race that has ended in the same way for thirty-one years and we can’t see that changing this year.

The Contenders

:* :* :* :* :* Alejandro Valverde is that far ahead of the rest of the contenders they might as well start now ... short of falling off, he should today win his 5th Wallonne Arrow.   Provided that is that is Movistar team control things and dont let strong moves go off the front as they did at Amstel Gold.   At Amstel Movistar did put Rojas in the move, but he was always simply a stalking horse and was never going to have the power or strength to win from that group. 

Here, even if they put a man up there, Valverde would be expected to chase as no one would ever work to bring him back into the race ... so it would be a pointless excercise and Movistar wont bother.  They will use all of there vast resources controlling things for that final charge.

:* :* Mikel Kwiatkowski - normally would get a few more stars, but that is how dominant Valverde is here.  Kwia is in fabulous, ripsnorting form though, after winning Milan Sanremo, and going very close at Amstel Gold earlier this week.  The way he bridged to the front group on the steepest climb of the race was super impressive, and he shouldnt be written off.   Sky support him well with Henao and others so if Valverde is off his game, he will be ready.

:* :* Dan Martin - with both Alaphilippe and Gilbert out, you would think Quickstep would be a bit down, but such is the depth of their squad that they still come here with one of of the main chances in this race in Dan Martin.   Martin has shown his talent in these kinds of races, and has the punch to make it up the climb against anyone (other than an inform Valverde).  Quickstep have raced incredibly aggressively this spring, so look for them to make their own oportunity here.

:* :* Michael Albasini - the only other one I give much of a chance to podium here, the course suits him well and he will be the main man for Orica Scott. 

I havent included Van Avermaet as I am not sure he is riding here - but even if he is, I dont think this suits him that much.  He lacked the power at Amstel to go bridge and I cant see him being able to hold off the chargers on the Mur de Huy.

Other outsdiers include Henao or Gianluca Brambilla as the stalking horses for the Sky and Quickstep squads if they stay away, Rui Costa or Rigoberto Uran, Wellens or the like in a sneaky move also ....

but really - the uphill sprint is what its all about - and Valverde is the master.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:20 by AG »

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9244
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Re: La Fleche Wallonne
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 08:36 »
    Stars:

*be Het Nieuwsblad
    :*:*:*:*:* Valverde
    :*:*:*:* Henao, Martin
    :*:*:* Kwiat, Bardet, Albasini
    :*:* Wellens, Moreno, Costa, Uran
    :* Teuns, Barguil, Pantano, Fuglsang, Ulissi

*fr l'Équipe
    :*:*:*:*:* Valverde
    :*:*:*:* /
    :*:*:* Martin, Henao, Kwiatkowski, Vuillermoz
    :*:* Albasini, Anton, Barguil, Slagter
    :* Fuglsang, Moreno, Sanchez, Ulissi
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 257
    • Awards: best new member of 2016
    « Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 09:35 »

Not everyone's favourite race but certainly one of mine. I just love how the lead changes hands in that last gallop up the Mur de Huy. Just when one rider looks like they've got it they tank and someone lese takes it up.

Hats off to Valverde his record in this race is excellent. As I'm not one for backing a nailed on favourite my shout is for the day Wellens. He'll have a go whether it is with a few km to go or at the foot of the climb. Doomed but spirited!
  • ReplyReply
  • Giving my view on life, cycling and the desire to do a sub 26min 10mTT on the Isle of Man @JaunePeril

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6042
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 11:31 »
    Not everyone's favourite race but certainly one of mine.
    It's one of those races where you see all the action although if you can only spare half an hour. Or even ten minutes. :D

And it's always the strongest rider who wins, such is the steepness of the Mur. That makes it a very 'fair' race. :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10823
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 16:23 »
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

DJW

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 849
    • Awards: Reigning Vuelta Prediction ChampRio Olympic Games Prediction Champ
    « Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 21:01 »
    Caught the Mur, thought that was Samu chasing after Valverde but it was Teuns  :o
  • ReplyReply

• Yellow Peril

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 257
    • Awards: best new member of 2016
    « Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 21:57 »
    Well Valverde continues to defy time itself with his tenth win of the season. It really does beggar belief how he can do this but he just looked so much stronger than everyone else when it really counted. Hats off to his team for controlling the race in the way that they did with a very special mention for Betancur who chased down breaks continuously...you know what? I think he may finally be back!

• ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1467
    « Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 22:15 »
    Didn't read AGs preview until now, but I realize it is so spot on it actually serves as a quite well-written post-race report.  :cool

Only lacks honorable mention of #fdj David Gaudu for being the only one that dared to really try to beat Valverde on the Mur.   
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3500
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 02:14 »
    yeah - I could pretty much just copy the preview as the Race report   :lol

anyway -

as expected - Movistar controlled things all the way to the bottom of the Huy.   We had our token solo/duo move off the front (De Marchi and Bob Jungels) but with no real chance of success ...

Martin turned the corner way too far back and was held back by others until it was too late.  Valverde came around in the first 3 and the result was never in doubt from that moment on.

Great ride from the BMC Youngster Teuns to snaffle third.  Kwiatkowski the only surprise for me that he wasnt able to be closer.

Love him or hate him - we have to accept that Valverde knows exactly how to win this race.  all kudos to him.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6042
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 10:05 »
    Martin turned the corner way too far back and was held back by others until it was too late.  Valverde came around in the first 3 and the result was never in doubt from that moment on.
    Albasini lost ground at a crucial moment, ~500 m to go, dropping back from third position to around tenth. If he'd stayed up front, he might have challenged Valverde.

Ah well.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Latest Roadbooks

Recent Posts