collapse

spokenspin

• Sunday Rider
  • Liked: 3
Helicopter noise
« on: April 28, 2017, 15:36 »
Am I the only one who hears the nauseating high-pitched shrill from the helicopters during aerial shots in bike race broadcasts? What possible reason could they have for opening a mic that just adds horrible noise to the broadcast? Every few years I see a thread somewhere about the helicopter mic being open during aerial shots, but no one seems to mention how horrible the noise is. I have to mute the volume during races when the heli shots come on line because the noise makes me ill. Anyone else have this issue? Even if my ears are extra sensitive, I don't see any reason for adding the noise. It often makes it hard to hear the VO too. Please tell me I am not alone.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3242
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    Re: Helicopter noise
    « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 16:20 »
    Am I the only one who hears the nauseating high-pitched shrill from the helicopters during aerial shots in bike race broadcasts? What possible reason could they have for opening a mic that just adds horrible noise to the broadcast? Every few years I see a thread somewhere about the helicopter mic being open during aerial shots, but no one seems to mention how horrible the noise is. I have to mute the volume during races when the heli shots come on line because the noise makes me ill. Anyone else have this issue? Even if my ears are extra sensitive, I don't see any reason for adding the noise. It often makes it hard to hear the VO too. Please tell me I am not alone.

I've never found it a problem, although now I suspect it will be all I hear! You are right, though. It serves no purpose. I mean, how else do they think we think they get the overhead shots?!

Once it's all filmed from drones, the noise will go away!
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 925
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 17:48 »
    I've never found it a problem, although now I suspect it will be all I hear! You are right, though. It serves no purpose. I mean, how else do they think we think they get the overhead shots?!

Once it's all filmed from drones, the noise will go away!
    It's not very difficult to mute the mics, or disable them.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4795
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 19:18 »
    I've never found it a problem, although now I suspect it will be all I hear!

This is what will happen. Curse you Spokenspin! :P

On a not totally unrelated subject, this did remind me of a radio programme I heard a few years ago about television sports sound. The main contributor was the sound designer for the Olympics.

Here's an article on the programme.

While making the programme, I came across something that really interested me. This was the idea of ‘reality’ in live broadcasting. If we’re actually at an event, what we hear will probably be very different from what the audience at home hears. At the event we might hear little more than the crowds around us, whereas the TV audience will be delivered a manufactured soundtrack created from many elements, just as it is in a drama or a film. As Dennis Baxter says: ‘It’s about creating exciting entertainment, whatever that takes.’ And ‘whatever that takes’ is the key phrase here, for me. Just how far are we prepared to go, to depart from ‘reality’ to make something entertaining?

Lots of close miking giving "artifical" sounds.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• National Champion
    • Liked: 669
    « Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 00:14 »
    About 4-5 years ago I was predicting we would soon see drones doing the race filming rather than helos. But it turns out there are a lot of issues. First, and foremost, the helo or drone has to operate over and around crowds of people. Super big safety no-no for ALL of the aerospace regulators - INTERNATIONALLY. They all agree on this. We are not likely to see drones for big races until the tech is a lot more mature. So I'll forecast another 10 years.

We are already seeing drones used to broadcast small races. But they need to be careful - if the regulatory bureaucrats catch wind of it, they may well shut it down. On the other hand, they are understaffed and overworked, so it may be small enough potatoes they shine it on. I also recall one race recently in the news where one of those small drones crashed and caused a cyclist to crash.
    http://www.marketwitch.com/story/this-drone-crashing-into-a-bike-race-is-every-cyclists-nightmare-2017-05-09
    Which is exactly why the bureaucrats are concerned about safety. Airplanes and helos have TONS of safety features implemented into how they are built AND flown. Drones, not yet.

We will see drones used for a lot more things before we see them used regularly for broadcast. They already get used for film shots and law enforcement. Real estate uses them. Coming is agriculture, fire-fighting - and more.
  • ReplyReply
  • Ubi est ignis

t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1133
    « Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 10:56 »
    They used drones for filming in FIS skiing world cup, one of them fell down a very short distance from Marcel Hirscher, as he was doing his final run, I think it was in Alta Badia in 2015. Air attack is one of the few things that actually could work against that guy!

Of course this is two years ago, and this and that would have been improved but - imagine this falling down over the crowds on an alpine climb in TdF...
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1511
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 11:23 »
     Wow, that was so close.
    Almost the same bad timing as Adam Yates's air bridge incident.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5793
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 19:07 »
    We've had a drone filming in Sibiu since (at least) 2014. Back then it was ultra-new technology, the first camera drone I'd ever seen in action.

They only use it for the team presentation, though, and some select spots on climbs - Gura Raului crossroads, Păltiniș final kilometre, Bâlea Lac ITT and similar. And it's only one guy, so he obviously can't cover more than one to a few spots each stage.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Recent Posts

Re: Road Nats 2017 by Leadbelly
    [Today at 19:34]

Re: Men's Transfers 16-17 by Leadbelly
    [Today at 19:26]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by LukasCPH
    [Today at 18:17]

Re: Men's Kits 2017 by Leadbelly