collapse

spokenspin

• Sunday Rider
  • Liked: 3
Helicopter noise
« on: April 28, 2017, 15:36 »
Am I the only one who hears the nauseating high-pitched shrill from the helicopters during aerial shots in bike race broadcasts? What possible reason could they have for opening a mic that just adds horrible noise to the broadcast? Every few years I see a thread somewhere about the helicopter mic being open during aerial shots, but no one seems to mention how horrible the noise is. I have to mute the volume during races when the heli shots come on line because the noise makes me ill. Anyone else have this issue? Even if my ears are extra sensitive, I don't see any reason for adding the noise. It often makes it hard to hear the VO too. Please tell me I am not alone.
  • ReplyReply

• cj2002

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 3220
    • Honorary President
    • Awards: Best avatar 2012
    Re: Helicopter noise
    « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 16:20 »
    Am I the only one who hears the nauseating high-pitched shrill from the helicopters during aerial shots in bike race broadcasts? What possible reason could they have for opening a mic that just adds horrible noise to the broadcast? Every few years I see a thread somewhere about the helicopter mic being open during aerial shots, but no one seems to mention how horrible the noise is. I have to mute the volume during races when the heli shots come on line because the noise makes me ill. Anyone else have this issue? Even if my ears are extra sensitive, I don't see any reason for adding the noise. It often makes it hard to hear the VO too. Please tell me I am not alone.

I've never found it a problem, although now I suspect it will be all I hear! You are right, though. It serves no purpose. I mean, how else do they think we think they get the overhead shots?!

Once it's all filmed from drones, the noise will go away!
  • ReplyReply
  • He shook his head sadly and told me that endemic drug use had compelled him to give up a promising career. "Even one small local race, prize was a salami, and I see doping!" - Tim Moore: Gironimo (Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy)

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 910
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 17:48 »
    I've never found it a problem, although now I suspect it will be all I hear! You are right, though. It serves no purpose. I mean, how else do they think we think they get the overhead shots?!

Once it's all filmed from drones, the noise will go away!
    It's not very difficult to mute the mics, or disable them.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4689
    • Awards: KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 19:18 »
    I've never found it a problem, although now I suspect it will be all I hear!

This is what will happen. Curse you Spokenspin! :P

On a not totally unrelated subject, this did remind me of a radio programme I heard a few years ago about television sports sound. The main contributor was the sound designer for the Olympics.

Here's an article on the programme.

While making the programme, I came across something that really interested me. This was the idea of ‘reality’ in live broadcasting. If we’re actually at an event, what we hear will probably be very different from what the audience at home hears. At the event we might hear little more than the crowds around us, whereas the TV audience will be delivered a manufactured soundtrack created from many elements, just as it is in a drama or a film. As Dennis Baxter says: ‘It’s about creating exciting entertainment, whatever that takes.’ And ‘whatever that takes’ is the key phrase here, for me. Just how far are we prepared to go, to depart from ‘reality’ to make something entertaining?

Lots of close miking giving "artifical" sounds.
  • ReplyReply

•