collapse

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1513
  • Something about Danish cycling I love
Stage 5: Pedara to Messina 159km
« on: May 09, 2017, 15:13 »
Stage 5: Pedara to Messina (159km)

OK people, the Giro gives this a stage a rating of ......

But I'm awarding  :niceday :niceday :niceday :niceday :niceday for stunning sit-back-and-wish-you-were-there scenery.

... so let's see what treasures we can find shall we?

Your Basic Stats

It's basically a down hill swoosh along north-east Sicily from Pedara on the slopes of Etna through to a circuit finish around Messina - via a couple of climbs and some stunning scenery.

The stage starts from Pedara, new stage town as far as the Giro is concerned. The first 40 km are fairly complex, as the route passes through several urban areas, with roundabouts, traffic dividers, pedestrian islands, setts paving and speed bumps being the main obstacles. [1]

Words that leap out at you: setts and Amstel Gold amounts of traffic furniture. Oh and 'wavy'... I do love google translate ;p

Then comes an uphill stretch (Fornazzo KOM summit), followed by a fast-running and technical descent. The roadway narrows at points in Castiglione di Sicilia.
Nibali territory right there, hordes of fans no doubt.

Next, the route climbs up Taormina and descends to the feed zone along partly narrowed roads.

ALERT hilltop location of magnificence

"As Lonely Planet says "
Spectacularly perched on the side of a mountain, Taormina is one of Sicily's most popular summer destinations, a chi-chi resort town popular with holidaying high-rollers and those wanting a taste of Sicilian dolce vita.Granted it's unashamedly touristy and expensive, but the town merits a couple of days for its stunning ancient theatre, people watching and breathtaking vistas."
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Here the roadway becomes wider and mostly straight, leading to the final circuit in Messina

And it hugs the Ionian coast:  Letojanni, S. Alessio, S. Teresa, Furci, Roccalumera, Nice, Ali Terme, Itala and Scaletta. Which should be great for those helicopter shots of azure blue seas. I'm not sure what the weather will be like, but looking at some photos of the route it is exposed... if it's windy we could see a stressed peloton.

The final 6.3-km circuit shall be covered once, on wide and straight avenues alternating with 90-degree bends. The route takes a U-turn with 1,500 m to go, then a long home straight (descending slightly in the first part) leads all the way to the finish. The home stretch is 1,500 m long, on 7.5-m wide, flat and asphalt road.

Sprint trains will need to be on their mettle from 6km to 2km, and I'm wincing at the U turn in the Piazza Castronovo just after the 2km mark. However after that it's a straight run for home to finish on the Via Garibaldi Palazzo Zanca. It's the same finish circuit as used on stage 9 in 1972; the year Eddy Merckx pulled on the pink jersey in Sicily and never took it off again.

Here's a great little piece on Messina's place in the history of the Giro.

It 's the 11th time that the Giro touches Messina, and for the 9th time the finish of a stage will be placed right in the City of the Straits. Who will be the successor of Petacchi , the last to raise his arms to heaven in the sprint in 2003 ?

The Tour of Italy in Messina: a bit 'of history
Messina was the site of the start of the first historic stage of the Tour of Italy in Sicily in 1930 , the Messina-Catania. Then in 1931 the first arrival near the Strait for the Palermo-Messina won by Luigi Marchisio . In 1949 another finish with Catania-Messina stage won by Sergio Maggini . The best memory is that of 1972 , with Messina-Messina of 110km , start and finish in the city after a stunning circuit on the Peloritani mountains and the scenic hills of the Strait. The tour came for three days in Calabria with the arrivals of Cosenza, Catanzaro and Reggio in one of the southernmost editions of the story. At Messina he arrived at the same final circuit this year, and the stage was won by Belgium's Albert Van Vlierberghe . On the banks of the Strait he took off the pink jersey the great Eddy Merckx , who had won the leader's jersey in Catanzaro and would never more lost to Milan.

In 1976 another beautiful stage, Cefalu-Messina, 192km by winning a fantastic Francesco Moser . Another Cefalu-Messina in 1982, won by Swiss Urs Freuler with Moser time in the pink jersey. In the Tour of Italy in 1989 a beautiful team time trial from Villafranca Tirrena in Messina won by ' Ariostea , then in 1993 the 130km stage-Villafranca Tirrena Messina won by Guido Bontempi with pink jersey Moreno Argentin .

In more recent times, the Tour was in Messina in 1999 with another Catania-Messina won in a sprint by the Dutch sprinter Jeroen Blijlevens , that day also wore the pink jersey by withdrawing Cipollini, involved in a bad crash in Castroreale. E 'was perhaps the stage of the most prestigious for the caliber of riders that Messina were able to see that day in Piazza Duomo: the legends Marco Pantani and Mario Cipollini , the French Richard Virenque and Laurent Jalabert , the Spaniards Roberto Heras and José María Jiménez and various Italian champions like Paolo Savoldelli , Ivan Gotti , Davide Rebellin , Stefano Garzelli ,  Ivan Quaranta , Danilo Di Luca , Gilberto Simoni , Dario Frigo and the great time trialist Ukrainian Serhij Hončar . Also that day, like this year, the next stage would arrive in Terme Luigiane, but this time we will start from Reggio Calabria and in that case the "start" was given to Vibo Valentia.

Of course this year the stage at Messina is even more special... they will line the streets to welcome one of their own.

The question is will Nibali grace his home town wearing the maglia rosa?

EDIT: THE ANSWER IS NO

Midge Favs

Your usual fast twitch suspects - given they've survived Etna in twitchable state

It's one for pure speed today. I'd like to see young Caleb get one, but I'd be over the moon with another for Andre too. I mean just look at him here (click the picture for full tugging at heartstrings effect #OhAndre).

PS. I looked for footage of the 1972 finish but failed to unearth any. However, sit back and enjoy these wonderful snippets from the same Giro

Gianni Motto's stage 2 victory

Eddy Merckx and José-manuel Fuente battle on Jafferau
 1. all italicised text from the Giro website
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:48 by Not My Circus »

t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1540
    Re: Stage 5: Pedara to Messina 159km
    « Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 22:32 »
    Here is the full stage map (not that there was much to see on the way from Taormina to Messina....) :D

• ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 09:16 »
    Here is the full stage map (not that there was much to see on the way from Taormina to Messina....) :D

THANK YOU :D   

You'd think the Giro website would give the right link really ;p
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 09:23 »
    A snippet of a fact I missed yesterday courtesy of Inner Ring...

Once on the Messina circuit, the race passes by the Nibali family’s video rental and photocopier store... excellent

Also from Inner Ring

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:47 by Not My Circus »

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 09:27 »
    Still unsure why Rosa is still in the race
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 11:35 »

I'm not sure either. Has anyone seen the official statement from the commisaires or race organisers? Was there also a fine issued to Rosa or has he escaped with nothing? Did they interview both riders? In all the reports I've read I've only seen a bit from Moreno's side... nothing about or from Rosa. The original gif I saw on Inner Ring just showed the push into crowd by Moreno, but another showed the action from a little earlier which implicates Rosa. There are also mentions of spitting. But until we hear both sides of the story (and I don't think we'll get anything from Sky) it's hard to guage from the footage I've seen.

I'm assuming the commisaires think the push from Moreno is the DQ offence, and up until that point they were equally to blame and/or it was usual racing incident. But these things rarely erupt out of nowhere.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 16:34 »

Pibernik :win

Ewan and Orica back to the drawing board
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1540
    « Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 20:19 »

There's UCI rules and then there's Sicilian rules  :shh
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1278
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    « Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 21:51 »

Pibernik :win

Ewan and Orica back to the drawing board

Gaviria's finished!
  • ReplyReply

•