collapse

t-72

• National Champion
  • Liked: 1540
Stage 12: FORLÌ - REGGIO EMILIA (229 km)
« on: May 17, 2017, 20:10 »
Giro de Italia stage 12 : FORLÌ - REGGIO EMILIA (229 or 237 km, depending on sources..)

The 18th of May the Giro100 gets ready for the longest stage: approximately 230 km. The start and finish are in towns on the south side of the Po plain. The plain is, well,  plainly, flat!

You could probably have done the first 2/3 on a compass course  approx 290 degrees West-Northwest along the the edge of the plains, following the SS9 road, with slight detours to avoid city centers in Faenza, Castel Bolognese , Imola,  Bologna, Modena and then a slight left turn, right turn to get back on the same compass course into Reggio Emilia. This could have been the straightest giro stage ever! The only thing is., that wouldn't be more than approximately 150 km, so they added a detour into the woods in the south of the plain.

This could have been the straightest giro stage ever!

This is what the stage really looks like on the map.

The profile, a bit of a sloooow climb into the hills, a few categorized points but nothing really dramatic.

From the base of the last descent there are still 70 km (plain!) to the finish line.

This is a sprint stage. The only thing that can make this catch fire would be wind, but the forecast is nice weather and a soft 2-5 m/s tailwind. Not strong enough for a break to stay in front.

That means the final 5 km will be important, and they look like this:

These roads look like broad city avenues and the slight left hander near the finish line should not cause to much of a disruption for the trains.

This leaves us with the usual suspects:
#lotto Greipel
#quickstep Gaviria
#orica Ewan
#wilier Marezku

The finish is scheduled for sometime between 16.57 and 17.29. If the racing is as exiting as on the previous pure sprint stage, make that 18.00. Enjoy!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    This is a sprint stage.

The finish is scheduled for sometime between 16.57 and 17.29. If the racing is as exiting as on the previous pure sprint stage, make that 18.00.
    Now I'm waiting for #movistar and 1-2 other teams to light up the stage on the two climbs in the first half and make the second half a 100+-km chase.

Which probably won't happen. But, you know, hope dies last ...
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1056
    For the sake of Wilier Triestina riders well being I want Mareczko to win. #Scinto
  • ReplyReply
  • Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    For the sake of Wilier Triestina riders well being I want Mareczko to win. #Scinto

indeed he went off yesterday in front of the TV hate to see him in the bus
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1278
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    Gaviria, Mareckzo beating Greipel again.

Scan back to my comments a year ago.
     :shh
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1540
    Gaviria, Mareckzo beating Greipel again.

Scan back to my comments a year ago.
     :shh

Link or it didn't happen  :P
    I can't remember you saying anything about this Garivia dude  :D

• ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9474
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    me neither. And for Greipel this is just a preparation race of course :P
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1748
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    Link or it didn't happen  :P
    I can't remember you saying anything about this Garivia dude  :D

Isn't he the bloke who sits on the flying armchair, Max Richeze, all day? :D
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 13:27 by Mellow Velo »
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.