collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6197
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Hammer Sportzone Limburg
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2017, 07:37 »
in the official Roadbook it's still listed as a 2.1 UCI Europe Tour race
It's not in the calendar on the UCI website, and I suppose that the UCI, not the race organiser, is the final arbitrator.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 715
    « Reply #31 on: June 03, 2017, 16:56 »
    Also, there seems to have been some confusion (for want of a better word) right before the start.
    Now, given Trek are unlikely to have been happy with the result anyway, and allowing for some disgruntlement (and looking to excuse) their poor positioning. If this was the situation, there is something that sounds a tad awry here. I can see why there was a 'parade' and the 'big names' were given prominent positions. After all people had paid to see this and one must give them a show. However, if they also want it to be a race and not something along the lines of a post Tour show Crit (which I love btw), then they should at least ensure there is some sort of fair start - which presumably is what the 1km neutral was there for.

As is say I didn't see it... did anyone notice it?

i haven't seen it yet but did they just have a rolling start after the parade?

One solution might be to have 5 starting pens with each team having one rider in each pen The pens could each perhaps be 5 metres deep and separated by a few metres each. That way the riders would be fairly evenly distributed throughout the field from the start and the situation that sounds like it arose yesterday might be less likely to happen.
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 715
    « Reply #32 on: June 04, 2017, 13:22 »
    Are the results for the individual sprint/climbs at the end of each lap available anywhere? I've had a look on the haamer series site but I can't find them there.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 952
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #33 on: June 05, 2017, 04:43 »
    8/10

Enjoyable 3 days of racing with a fantastic finish. I didn't mind the drafting TTT either. Handicap (though not quite a handicap in this race) racing has always been that way, so sort of expected it. In a way I hope they keep the drafting, and make the course long enough for the chasers to have a chance at winning, but the front-markers to have a chance to keep the lead.

It's different, and I think that caught everyone off guard, including the organisers and rules officials themselves, but that's what it has to be.  Cannot afford to be just another TT/TTT/climb/sprint; cycling already has enough of those.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5349
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #34 on: June 05, 2017, 09:21 »
    It's not in the calendar on the UCI website, and I suppose that the UCI, not the race organiser, is the final arbitrator.

It's there now - ITC Netherlands.

I didn't see days one or two, so I can't comment on those, but I do think the TTT will need some tweaks to make it work. The finish between Sunweb and Sky was exciting, but a lot of what went on behind was farcical. On some of those narrow roads drafting was always going to be a issue, there literally was nowhere for other teams to go but behind the ones in front. The powerless UCI commissaire waving his hands like King Cnut was amusing I have to say.

Could some of the rules from Ironman be applied to drafting and overtaking? They have a drafting zone that you can't enter unless you are going to overtake and you only have a certain amount of time to get past or you have to drop back. Stop and go penalties for offenders?

Any other ideas for improvements?

I mentioned to AG in chat that having to use the same 5 guys for all events could introduce some more tactical selections and unusual results. Okay you might be lucky and have 5 great all rounders, but on more varied courses than this one it could be interesting. Cobbles next time please.

As a rule I don't like the GCN presenters other than Dan Lloyd, but I think they did well, if a bit sycophantic to Hammer at times.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #35 on: June 05, 2017, 09:41 »
    I think the GCN presenters did well, if a bit sycophantic to Hammer at times.
    He who pays the piper ... ;)
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3507
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #36 on: June 05, 2017, 10:55 »
    yeah I agree, having the same 5 or 6 riders would have been better.

I didnt get to watch much - but it was interesting. 
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1748
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #37 on: June 05, 2017, 16:38 »
    I just caught up watching.
    A fantastic, exciting race between the first two teams, a hilarious, clowns at the circus act, between the other six.
    I must be honest, I totally expected the latter, but not the former.
    Velon have themselves a winning formula: a bike race with laughs.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9471
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #38 on: June 05, 2017, 16:49 »
    ...and for a final laugh: all those 6 teams behind got a 5 minute penalty for drafting :lol

so in the end Sunweb won the Hammer Chase as BMC had four mechanicals, and all five teams quicker than them got penalized
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #39 on: June 05, 2017, 17:40 »
    ...and for a final laugh: all those 6 teams behind got a 5 minute penalty for drafting :lol

so in the end Sunweb won the Hammer Chase as BMC had four mechanicals, and all five teams quicker than them got penalized
    :fp :lol :fp :lol :fp
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 952
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #40 on: June 06, 2017, 02:34 »
    Which is indeed what I meant that the organiser's and rules officials got caught out. The cooperation between back-markers chasing front-markers with a headstart is essential and inevitable. They screwed up there. See also, the Austral.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #41 on: June 07, 2017, 16:51 »
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

latino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 126
    • Saganator
    « Reply #42 on: June 08, 2017, 12:34 »
    Just caught up to speed with the Hammer Series, fantastic format and close racing.
    Would love to see this kind of race more often, and with bigger names.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Latest Roadbooks

Recent Posts

Re: Race news 2018 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:35]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:21]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:12]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 05:25]

Re: Retirement announcements by search
    [November 16, 2017, 08:13]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2017, 20:35]