collapse

search

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 9471
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Škoda Tour de Luxembourg
« on: May 30, 2017, 08:30 »
Škoda Tour de Luxembourg

Luxembourg City's streets will form the backdrop for the country's biggest cycling race on Wednesday, when the Tour de Luxembourg gets underway.

This year 14 international professional cycling teams will compete for a coveted place in the race, which has been running since 1935. Luxembourg has won the most victories in the race's history with 21 overall, with Fränk Schleck as the last laureate, taking the trophy in 2009. Also more recent editions were a success for the locals though, with Jempy Drucker finishing 2nd in 2014 and Alex Kirsch 3rd in 2016.

YEAR 1st 2nd 3rd
2016      *nl   LAMMERTINK Maurits      *be   GILBERT Philippe      *lu   KIRSCH Alex
2015      *de   GERDEMANN Linus      *nl   DE MAAR Marc      *nl   DUYN Huub
2014      *dk   BRESCHEL Matti      *lu   DRUCKER Jempy      *dk   MØRKØV Michael
2013      *de   MARTENS Paul      *fr   HIVERT Jonathan      *be   BAKELANTS
2012      *dk   FUGLSANG Jakob      *nl   POELS Wout      *lu   SCHLECK Fränk

The parcours is approximately the same as in recent years. The 77th edition of the Tour de Luxembourg starts with the well known prologue on cobbled roads in the city of Luxembourg, and finishes in the same place on Sunday.

~pdf Guide Technique

The Stage 3 uphill finish at the Caserne Grand-Duc Jean is new though as far as I can see, potentially spicing the race up a bit.

Olympic Champion Greg van Avermaet will look forward to it I guess, although officially coming to the race with domestique duties.

~pdf Start List

If BMC really goes for Drucker, his chances to take a home win are probably as good as never before, as the start list looks relatively poor with the number of WT teams dropping from 5 to 1.

There may be limited live coverage available here
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:45 by search »
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1510
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    Re: Škoda Tour de Luxembourg
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 12:03 »
    as the start list looks relatively poor with the number of WT teams dropping from 5 to 1

Victim of 'Hammer Time' I suppose. Compared to last year IAM and Tinkoff are of course defunct, but we usually see Lotto Soudal and Orica
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1748
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 12:09 »
     Yes, a really thin startlist.
    I assume we will have the usual coverage of the prologue and I did note of the site that there is some vague promise of the final hour of each stage being live.

A pity RTL can't be arsed to put it on tv.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 08:13 »
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 16:26 »
    Today is a good day  :)

Jempy :win

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1315
    « Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 18:52 »
    Van Avermaet in a Build-Up Mode for the Tour of France

He starts his preparation at the Tour of Luxembourg

(Sudpresse - 31 May 2017, before the start)

On the road again[1]! This Wednesday Greg Van Avermaet starts his preparation aiming at the Tour of France [the journalist forgot about the Gullegem Koerse :P, ah no he refers to it below lol].

We left him exhausted in the evening of Liège-Bastogne-Liège, which looked like a nice cherry on the cake (11th) of an intensive, epic, luminous spring chapter for him. We find him back dapper after a five-week physical and mental regeneration that he greatly needed. Greg Van Avermaet is officially back at work this Wednesday at the Tour of Luxembourg that no Belgian has won since Maxime Monfort in 2004.

Let's face it. The Grand-Ducal race suffers from the competition of the Hammer Series later this week in Dutch Limburg. That's how BMC is the only World Tour team present at the start in Luxembourg City [disgusting :disapointed].
    Even if in factual truth we have to concede that he raced the Gullegem kermess yesterday the Olympic champion is really starting today a build-up that is supposed to evolve crescendo until the start of the Tour of France on 1 July in Düsseldorf.

After over a month off I don’t really know where I am

Smiles the 32-year-old Waeslander who took some holidays with Ellen and Fleur in the course of May before gradually and lightly resuming training notably on Ardenne roads. As usual Greg designed some of his rides from his second home in Stoumont.

The Classic period was very demanding, longer than usual as well since I added Liège-Bastogne to it. I really need a break and to do something else before thinking of the second part of the season.

As a reminder the World #1 (ahead of [ValvPiti] and the recent Tour of Italy winner Tom Dumoulin) raced for 24 days between 25 February and 23 April including all the great classics of the calendar and 5 victories: Het Nieuwsblad, the TTT of Tirreno Adriatico, the GPE3 Harelbeke, Ghent-Wevelgem and most of Paris-Roubaix, plus  2nd places at the Strade Bianche and at the Tour of Flanders.

Next up the Tour of Switzerland

Today I don’t have any clear indication of my form level, so those 5 stages in the Grand-Duchy are coming at the right time in order for me to build back up.

Local rider Jempy Drucker will be the protected rider and we will also find back Loïc Vliegen of Verviers (back from a coccyx injury) and newcomer Nathan Van Hooydonck (Edwig’s nephew) who has just been promoted “among the great ones”.

Greg Van Avermaet’s mind and energy are now dedicated to the next Tour of France where he will target stage wins like those last two years (Rodez in 2015 and Le Lioran 2016 with a leader jersey as a bonus). The road to Düsseldorf will pass by the Tour of Switzerland (10-18 June) and the Belgian championship (25 June) even if the flat route in Antwerp won’t favour the plans of the puncher of Grembergen.
     1. in English in the text
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 08:57 »
    When posting the previous post I didn't even know that Van Avermaet had won Stage 2, lol.

Apparently it was a 30-man sprint ahead of teammate Jempy Drucker. There had been a long breakaway with Sepulveda among others and 8% gradient climbs.

So today at the Grand Duc is Greg going to let Jempy win or is he going to fight mano a mano?

• ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 09:37 »

I think if the team and GVA are smart they will let Jempy win, always makes other riders happy with leaders helping team mates win and it gets paid back in spades
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    « Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 06:38 »

Jempy exploded :(
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    « Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 19:46 »
    Greg Van Avermaet Has Already Found the Key Back

(Article lands in Sudpresse on the 6 of June)

The sourpuss will object that the grand-ducal field was not outstanding (it has undisputably suffered from the new competition of the Hammer Series in the Netherlands) but nobody, not even the Olympic champion would consider spitting on a victory. 13 years after Maxime Monfort Greg Van Avermaet is next Belgian winning the Tour of Luxembourg.

For the Waeslander the satisfaction is first and foremost athletic. After 5 week without competition (break after Liège-Bastogne-Liège) – a period of active rest tainted with some knee problems and a cold – the leader of the BMC team has immediately found an alert pedal stroke back (two stage wins, in Walferdange and Luxembourg city and the overall classification). The tremendous condition that was his throughout the spring classics (Nieuwsblad + GP E3 + Ghent-Wevelgem + Paris-Roubaix) has not totally petered out as summer is coming. The boost is also mental. Greg Van Avermaet has opened his summer “building site” in the best possible way. From now on he will raise up his form grade on the roads of the Tour of Switzerland (10-18 June) as final preparation for the Tour of France (1-23 July) where the World #1 will target stage wins like those last two summer (Rodez 2015 and Le Lioran 2016, with the leader’s jersey as a bonus).
    Getting a victory back eight weeks after Paris-Roubaix and while I’m not necessarily at the top of my form yet is a very pleasant, almost comfortable feeling, even if this Tour of Luxembourg is no part of the World Tour calendar…

--------

You'll notice on the picture the results of the last two stages, plus the overall classicification and of all the races that were held during the weekend and Whit Monday. So I'm glad to share the results of the Boucle de la Mayenne at the same time with two stage wins + overall victory by Mathieu Van der Poel and a nice place for Clément Venturini.

In Luxembourg besides Van Avermaet's overall win and 2 stage wins, I'm glad to find former crosser Xandro Meurisse 2nd and former crosser & mountainbiker Julien Loubet in the top10. Even though other former crosser Jempy Drucker has sunk.

• ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Latest Roadbooks

Recent Posts

Re: Race news 2018 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:35]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:21]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:12]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 05:25]

Re: Retirement announcements by search
    [November 16, 2017, 08:13]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2017, 20:35]