collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6943
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
The 2019 Tour de France will have its Grand Départ in Bruxelles:
OFFICIEL: le Tour de France 2019 partira bien de Bruxelles
  • ReplyReply
  • Cyclingnews Women's WorldTour Correspondent
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own. RIP Keith & Sean

search

• World Champion
    • Liked: 11325
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Abu Dhabi Tour and Dubai Tour to merge in 2019

sounds like a good idea to me
    Anything that gives us fewer of those pointless petrodollar Mickey Mouse races is a good idea! :D
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    • Awards: 2018 Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    Liege-Bastogne-Liege will finish in the city centre next year - not in Ans anymore, which hosted the arrival of the race since 1992 :cool

https://www.rtbf.be/info/regions/liege/detail_liege-bastogne-liege-de-retour-dans-la-cite-ardente-en-2019?id=9896456
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    according to today's Het Nieuwsblad, Matera, Marseille, Poland and Wales are interested in running the 2019 Grande Partenza of the Giro d'Italia
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2300
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    according to today's Het Nieuwsblad, Matera, Marseille, Poland and Wales are interested in running the 2019 Grande Partenza of the Giro d'Italia

Welsh government were talking to the RCS about hosting the start, last year.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wales-in-talks-to-host-the-giro-ditalia-and-tour-de-france/

Surely, with Israel this year, it must be Matera?
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• World Champion
    you would think so, but a couple of weeks ago I read that Marseille was more or less in the pole position. Could be for one or two days only and then cross the boarder on the bike
  • ReplyReply

• L'arri

• Is on Dr Search's Green and Grey Diet
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 6653
    • Dopeology.org @DopeologyDotOrg @L_arriviste
      • Dopeology.org
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015Best Opening Post 2012
    There will be no Dwars door West-Vlaanderen in 2019. This year's soaking wet edition, in which #quickstep rouleurs Cavagna and Sénéchal worked over #lotto youngster Frison, will not follow on due to a lack of volunteers.

https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/66446/remi-cavagna-dernier-laureat-d-a-travers-la-flandre-occidentale (FR)
  • ReplyReply
  • Cycling is a Europe thing only and I only watch from Omloop on cause I am cool and sh*t
    RIP Craig1985 / Craig Walsh
    RIP KeithJamesMc / Keith McMahon / Larry Sarni

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 6700
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    https://www.procycling.no/tour-des-fjords-tour-of-norway-slar-sammen/

Fjorrway?

Norway and Fjords will merge in 2019. You can read the article, but as you can imagine both sides are talking things up and tbh having both of them and Hammer one after another did seem overkill. On the other hand it is one less race.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    http://www.biciciclismo.com/es/la-volta-2019-definida-para-su-99a-edicion-19-09-2018

Volta a Catalunya route:

1a etapa              Calella - Calella
    2a etapa              Mataró – Sant Feliu de Guíxols
    3a etapa              Sant Feliu de Guíxols – Vallter 2000 (Setcases)
    4a etapa              Llanars (Vall de Camprodon) – La Molina
    5a etapa              Puigcerdà – Sant Cugat del Vallès
    6a etapa              Valls – Vila-seca
    7a etapa              Barcelona – Barcelona (Circuito de Montjuïc)

Same old, same old.  :x_x
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1451
    • The user formerly known as hiero
    Welsh government were talking to the RCS about hosting the start, last year.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wales-in-talks-to-host-the-giro-ditalia-and-tour-de-france/

Surely, with Israel this year, it must be Matera?

You know, Wales has got some halfway decent mountains. I think I could actually like that - if they did it right. They could just do a stupid tourist-start in Caernarvon. No - wait. A half-assed prologue in Caenarvon, that could do. Then a medium mountain stage, of the sort to favor the breakaway - that way the GC guys can keep their powder dry. And it could show off one of those Welsh towns with a name that takes ten times as long to spell as it does to pass thru the town. That way could have a bit of the coast, and a bit of the mountains - all good for the Giro!
  • ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    http://www.uci.org/road/calendar

The UCI race calendar for 2019 has been updated (a bit). Here are some things I noticed.

WT

Turkey has been moved to mid-April which is pretty much the original time of year it used to be run (one week earlier if we're being pedantic).

Africa

Not many races at the moment. Rwanda is a mover. It used to be held in November, moved to August this year and in 2019 will be run in late February. It will start four weeks after Bongo finishes (two would make more sense to me) and like the Gabonese race will now be a 2.1 event.

America

No Tachira at the moment, but that's not too surprising. Independencia and Saguenay return to the UCI fold after a years absence. New races with Chiloe and Miranda.

Asia

Some interesting new names - Tour of Belt and Road?! Ronda Philipinas?!

Oceania

:tumbleweed

Europe

Too many races to really spot anything. Israel is new, but we knew about that (finishes a couple of days before Turkey starts).

Women

Aphrodite Cycling Race anyone? New races in Burgos and Jockland.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    http://www.uci.org/road/calendar

. .
    Oceania

:tumbleweed

. . .
    Umm, excuse me? Did you not notice the Aussies? I realize some people do think they are forgettable, but OTOH, we've got some regulars around here who would be at the bottom of the ocean if there weren't some land down under!  :D

But I dropped by to ask a question on a different topic - Le Tour 2019. Wondering what people think of the mountains this year. Personally, I'm wondering if Tom Dumoulin ticked somebody off in the Tour planning office.

OTOH, Cav said 2019 would be easier for him than 2018. Don't know what to think!
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    Umm, excuse me? Did you not notice the Aussies? I realize some people do think they are forgettable, but OTOH, we've got some regulars around here who would be at the bottom of the ocean if there weren't some land down under!  :D

I was alluding to the fact that the Oceania Tour only has 3 races (plus the continental championships) and unlike the African Tour, it won't have other races added to it later on. :P

As to the Tour. Can't say I've really looked at it yet, but it's good to see some climbs that haven't been used in a while.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    https://twitter.com/FVCiclismo/status/1055458376203862017

Tachira is currently missing from the 2019 calendar, but this recent meeting is promising and the day after a Venezuelan journalist tweeted that both Androni and Wilier would be there.
  • ReplyReply

• M Gee

• Road Captain
    . . .
    As to the Tour. Can't say I've really looked at it yet, but it's good to see some climbs that haven't been used in a while.

I think it was an article on VN that commented this TdF course appeared to be put together to favor the French climbers. I haven't looked in detail, either, but if it really does favor the climbers - and everybody seems to be saying that - then Quintana may finally be able to get back in the action, too.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2658
    I think it was an article on VN that commented this TdF course appeared to be put together to favor the French climbers. I haven't looked in detail, either, but if it really does favor the climbers - and everybody seems to be saying that - then Quintana may finally be able to get back in the action, too.

I have just taken a brief look at it, and I think it spells: Thibaut, please come home!  :)
    The Alpine stages look like they are just his way of racing, maybe a bit short when it comes to the Tignes stage, but otherwise:
    • long climbs
    • high altitude
    • not too technical descents
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion

M Gee

• Road Captain
    And now the Giro's announced their 2019 route - bookended by TT - and I think, once again, the Giro is going to outdo the Tour for good racing.

Why am I not surprised? 

:lol :lol
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2300
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1057666035262910471

Hardly a climb of note before stage 12 and the first MTF a stage later?
    Take a lot of early race siestas and tune in for the second half.

Edit:
    Current state of Stage 20's Passo Manghen road.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 09:09 by Mellow Velo »

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    https://www.piratefm.co.uk/news/latest-news/2726632/cornwall-set-to-host-tour-of-britain/

Cornwall bidding to get the first stage of the 2020 ToB. If they get it, Penzance to Bodmin is the front runner from the three options.

There were two reasons I thought this would never happen 1) the poor transport links and 2) being totally skint (the council is in debt to the tune of £723M at the last count). They're looking for most of the costs to be covered by sponsorship.

I guess it would pretty cool, but the following quote from the article doesn't fill me with optimism that it will be an exciting parcour.

In coming up with the route the council has had to apply certain criteria which are set by event organisers SweetSpot.

These are that the route has to be between 160km and 180km; should pass through communities to maximise live viewing and sponsorship opportunities; pass through iconic venues that Cornwall would like to have TV exposure and pass through high footfall areas to maximise visitor spend.

No doubt that's not too different from a lot other races, but it feels a bit soulless when you see it in black and white.

ps. I don't listen to Pirate FM, the real source of the story was Lisa at my work.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2658
    And now the Giro's announced their 2019 route - bookended by TT - and I think, once again, the Giro is going to outdo the Tour for good racing.

Hardly a climb of note before stage 12 and the first MTF a stage later?
    Take a lot of early race siestas and tune in for the second half.

Looking at the stages,  back to the 90's? Will Cippololini be racing? Just kidding, but isn't this a Giro made for for Elia Viviani?
  • ReplyReply

• search

• World Champion
    well, the Prologue is uphill, Stage 4 has almost 3000m of altitude and a hill climb finish, stage 6 is uphill as well, so surely no sprint either, same for the day after. So that leaves us with three (2, 3, 5) potential bunch sprints in week 1. Doesn't look like too many to me
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    No doubt that's not too different from a lot other races, but it feels a bit soulless when you see it in black and white.
    I hear that the SweetSpot races are all managed extremely top-down, prescribing the most minuscule stuff for riders, teams, stage hosts, and just about everyone.
    Sometimes Often to the point of ridiculousness.

This sounds like exactly the thing they would put in their race application paperwork.

Certainly most races will have a similar approach. But few would be putting it in writing as blatantly as this.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/ronde-van-turkije-gooit-etappeschema-volledig-op-de-schop/

Turkey stages. Quite localized (which is good and bad), but it will be nice to see some different stages/finishes for once.

16 April - Stage 1: Istanbul - Tekirdag (165 km)
    17 April - Stage 2: Tekirdag - Eceabat (180 km)
    18 April - Stage 3: Canakkale - Edremit (155 km)
    19 April - Stage 4 : Balikesir - Bursa (185 km)
    20 April - Stage 5: Bursa - Kartepe (170 km)
    21 April - Stage 6: Sakarya - Istanbul (165 km)

The climb to Kartepe on stage 5 could be 16.8km at 7.7%, but other routes to the top are available.

• ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    https://twitter.com/ArcticRaceofN/status/1062288181519900673

15/08/2019 – Etapa 1 – Å > Leknes (182 km)
    16/08/2019 – Etapa 2 – Henningsvaer > Svolvær (168.5 km)
    17/08/2019 – Etapa 3 – Sortland > Storheia summit (Melbu) (176,5 km)
    18/08/2019 – Etapa 4 – Lødingen > Narvik (166,5 km)

I saw elsewhere the stage three summit described as the Mont Ventoux of Norway. Maybe out Norwegian correspondent can tell us if that is just hyperbole?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    I saw elsewhere the stage three summit described as the Mont Ventoux of Norway. Maybe out Norwegian correspondent can tell us if that is just hyperbole?
    It is quite steep:
    https://twitter.com/LasterketaBurua/status/1062352773075947522

Nowhere near the length of the Ventoux, of course - but since there's nothing at all between this mountain and Greenland, I suppose it can be pretty windy. The summit seems to be above the tree line as well.

Looking at both Google Maps and OpenStreetMap, though, the road to the summit seems to only be a (gravel?) track at the moment ...
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    http://www.tourdurwanda.rw/news/article/route-revealed-for-first-2-1-tour-du-rwanda

Stage 1: Kigali-Kigali (112.5 km)
    Stage 2: Kigali-Huye (120.3 km)
    Stage 3: Huye-Rubavu (213.1 km)
    Stage 4: Rubavu-Karongi (103 km)
    Stage 5: Karongi-Musanze (138.7 km)
    Stage 6: Musanze-Nyamata (120.5 km)
    Stage 7: Nyamata-Kigali (84.2 km)
    Stage 8: Kigali-Kigali (66.8 km)

Benediction is a new Rwandan CT outfit. Bai Sicasal are Angolan.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Recent Posts

Re: The Academy of Cycling by LukasCPH
    [November 17, 2018, 19:00]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2018, 05:44]

Re: Cycling Farmers by Drummer Boy
    [November 16, 2018, 01:27]

Re: Full Mens Rosters 2019 by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2018, 19:55]

Re: Race news 2019 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2018, 19:48]

Re: Cycling Farmers by Armchair Cyclist
    [November 15, 2018, 17:06]