collapse

t-72

• National Champion
  • Liked: 1537
Re: Critérium du Dauphiné 2017
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 21:26 »
It's between Porte and Valverde for the overall here. Normally I'd say Froome could make up 37s in the remaining stages but not with the form he's shown.

There's so much climbing remaining a lot can still happen in this race. However, Froome was interviewed after the race today and I think he looked quite upset. I don't know if it was the usual critical questions or the results, his variety in facial expressions doesn't quite rival Quintana's but still it is not often you see that man clearly outside comfort zone. He's probably not where he expected to be. If he just missed a turn, like we saw Tony Martin did, he'd be more angry and irritated - not just upset - I think?

In other news #uae apparaently received their new time trial bikes just before the race today and Vegard Stake Laengen very politely blamed lack of time for aero testing with the new bike and setup for the mediocre results. His performance in Tour of California was on level with Nils Politt, who finished 16th or so today. I hope he gets his bike sorted out for the national championships as its about time someone strips that red white and blue from  #didata Edvald Boasson Hagen's shoulders. EDIT: He's not participating anyway :( Altitude camp with #uae TdF team.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3899
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #31 on: June 08, 2017, 10:44 »

A super ride by Berto I thought, losing only 11 seconds to the "evergreen" Valverde, without, Flo tells me, really trying. :lol
    He did try, like he said he doesn't want to go too deep but will test himself on 1 or 2 occasions and a TT is perfect for a test
    11 seconds to Valverde is of course not good, but I think that's more down to Valverde's incredible shape than Berto's lack of shape. Berto's performance is in line with his TT results in '09 and '10 Dauphine.
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

latino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 126
    • Saganator
    « Reply #32 on: June 08, 2017, 15:43 »
    Massive win today for #sunweb Phil Bauhaus, ahead of Demare and Coquard.
    It was all about timing and holding power, in a crazy approach to the finish.
  • ReplyReply

• latino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 126
    • Saganator
    « Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 15:27 »
    One of the most exciting stages I've seen in recent years.
    Fuglsang the unexpected winner, Porte in yellow.
    More mountains tomorrow :D
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1748
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 18:29 »
    A very superior stage.
    One note: David Gaudu was a DNF. :(
    Did he crash?
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9472
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 18:39 »
    One note: David Gaudu was a DNF. :(
    Did he crash?

there's nothing in today's communique, only Machado's crash is mentioned. Gaudu crashed during the recon of the time trial though, maybe (or potentially? As he also lost time yesterday) he was suffering from after-effects
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 879
    « Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 22:52 »
    Watching a recording of stage 6 now. Aru is looking good, and I'm glad to see that. And Valverde, OMG. With Aru and Porte doing so well, we should see a good TdF this year.
      I know the results already, but I have yet to find out how Aru lost his lead on the descent. I'm expecting somebody to pucker my orifice on this descent.

Phuh - Porte breaking wind for Froome again. I really hope Porte finally wins one and breaks that ball and chain.

Post Merge: June 09, 2017, 23:09
    The descent off Mount Chat is a master class in descending.

Wow. Whut a race. We have had some great racing this year - and it just keeps comin' on. Could even be a grand TdF!
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 23:11 by hiero »
    Eeyore sez . . .

Iceman

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 17
    « Reply #37 on: June 10, 2017, 08:51 »
    Richie can win TDF unless something unfortunate happens to him again. He really deserves to show he is not just Froome`s super domestique. About Dauphine I can`t see him loosing it. Froome is showing better form in this race, which is expected, but Porte has been amazing all season so far. Also, I`m happy to see Aru climbing so good again.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #38 on: June 10, 2017, 11:08 »
    #ag2r Oliver Naesen, best placed rider from the breakaway in 8th, was not too happy about the fact that his own team chased him down...

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170610_02919738

He has a point I guess. Although admittedly, he also saved a lot of energy by not contributing to the work in front, otherwise it may have turned out differently
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3507
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #39 on: June 11, 2017, 01:35 »
    Richie's race to win now.

I was actually really impressed with Froome's descending on Mont du Chat.  It was incredibly skilled ...
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #40 on: June 11, 2017, 04:13 »
    Richie's race to win now.

I was actually really impressed with Froome's descending on Mont du Chat.  It was incredibly skilled ...

I agree. I mentioned this in the Froome thread. He's gone from being a graceless stick-man trying to corner properly to one of the best descenders in the peloton.

But Froome aside, this Dauphine is a great race! I'm beginning to sound like a bad recording - but this is an amazing year for racing! Even if the TdF turns out to be another great bore, the Vuela should be good, and Lombardia . . .
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1537
    « Reply #41 on: June 11, 2017, 15:16 »
    Richie couldn't win it  :P

Awesome stage today, and fenomenal tappa & maglia win by  #astana Jakob Fuglssang. Probably his best ever performance, at least rivalling the silver medal from the olympics.

Stage results:

I still don't quite get what happened to #bmc Porte on the descent, if he was just slow, had a minor mechanical or committed some sort of racing error, maybe having to slam on the brakes somewhere others kept flying, off the road or?  Something, anything must have happened to explain how #sky Kwiatkowski suddenly was 1 minute ahead of him.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 16:01 by t-72, Reason: minor typos »

hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #42 on: June 11, 2017, 15:31 »
    Richie couldn't win it  :P

Awesome stage today, and fenomenal tappa & maglia win by  #astana Jakob Fuglssang. Probably his best ever performance, at least rivalling the silver medal from the olympics.

. . .

I still don't quite get what happened to #bmc Porte on the descent, if he was just slow, had a minor mechanical or committed some sort of racing error, maybe having to slam on the brakes somewhere others kept fllying, off the road or?  Something, anything must have happened to explain how Sky Kwiatkowski suddenly was 1 minute ahead of him.

I am hoping, but not hopeful, that we might actually see a great Tour this year. Fuglsang? The eternal domestique extraordinaire? Wow. Porte? Looking GREAT, and he didn't crash out.

Now, if we can keep Contador and Aru off those slippery handlebars for the first week and a half, it could be a good tour. Hellacious racing this year.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1748
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #43 on: June 11, 2017, 17:30 »
    Cor, that was a sweet stage.
     Fuglsang and Porte covered the final climb in just about equal time, but Birdsong looked to be singing with a bit more breath to spare.
      Dan Martin's attack, along with Froome, basically won him the GC.
    Impressive ride from young Louis M, eventually breaking Bardet in the process.   Froomey almost back to a bit of his old style weaving.
    Definitely a few points off where he would expect to be, three weeks from Düsseldorf.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #44 on: June 12, 2017, 22:09 »
     :lol :D :o :lol
    I am laughing! TELL ME, please, WHERE have I heard this before?

“I think I was up against it from kilometer zero. There were a few guys who preferred me to lose the race, and they lost their podium as well. I guess that’s racing. Bring on July.”
    http://www.velonews.com/2017/06/news/porte-yellow-jersey-revenge-july

Now, I must admit, Porte says it more diplomatically than Dumoulin did! But it's the same tune!  (snark snark snark snark snark!):D
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3507
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #45 on: June 13, 2017, 01:39 »
    it was indeed a fantastic stage.  One for the ages.

BMC really need to ensure they have some support for Porte if they want him to have a real shot at the Tour.  Etiher TJ or Dennis need to sacrifice everything for Portee ... as his team werent good enough in this stage.

Now I admit it was extremely tough.  There were attacks going everywhere ... but he rode the majority of this stage alone.

No panic or dropping his bundle though, so good signs from Richie.

Impressive workout too from Froome - he went hard when the race was there to be won, Kwia was super impressive and then Froome did a lot by himself - but packed it in when it was clear that he wasnt going to win and saved it for another day.

Really happy for Fuglsang too.  Time for him to take that next step
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #46 on: June 13, 2017, 07:43 »
    BMC really need to ensure they have some support for Porte if they want him to have a real shot at the Tour.  Etiher TJ or Dennis need to sacrifice everything for Portee ... as his team werent good enough in this stage.

Tejay is not scheduled for the Tour, and Dennis only as a reserve, with a final decision to be awaited after the Tour de Suisse (depending on the kind of shape he is in). His core group of helpers are Roche and Caruso
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Latest Roadbooks

Recent Posts

Re: Tour de France 2018 General News by hiero
    [November 19, 2017, 20:56]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by search
    [November 19, 2017, 18:19]

Re: Race news 2018 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:35]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:21]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:12]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 05:25]

Recent Topics

topic Tour de France 2018 General News
    [Road Races]
    hiero
    November 19, 2017, 20:56