collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1316
Ster ZLM Tour
« on: June 13, 2017, 20:31 »

Races created in 1987, open to pros in 1996, has had different names in its history: Rondom Schijndel from 1987 to 1989, Teleflex Tour from 1990 to 1997, Ster der Beloften [Star of the Hopes, ought not to be confused with 'L'étoile des espoirs' a French race in the seventies] from 1998 to 2000, Ster Elektrotoer from 2001 to 2010, and since 2011 Ster ZLM Toer.

2016 | VANMARCKE Sep
2015 | GREIPEL André
2014 | GILBERT Philippe
2013 | BOOM Lars
2012 | CAVENDISH Mark
2011 | GILBERT Philippe
2010 | HANSEN Adam
2009 | GILBERT Philippe
2008 | GASPAROTTO Enrico
2007 | LANGEVELD Sebastian

Weather forecast: chance for a storm on thursday. Perhaps a little windy but overall summer weather throughout the race.

Apparently no TV coverage in Belgium, so have to look for online streams.

Sep Vanmarcke will not defend his title. He's in Switzerland. Last year he outsprinted Wout Van Aert in the Gileppe Dam stage. Van Aert will not be present either. He's at the 11 Town Tour.

Let us remember Vanmarcke's win last year.

Sudpresse (La Meuse) on June 20 2016

Sep Vanmarcke: the ZLM before the Nats?

(sadly he got sick at the nats, once again)

This win gave him relief. Even though he's one of the best riders in the world, the Flandrian is more appreciated for his consistency than for opportunism. He hadn't raised his arms since the Tour of Alberta in 2015.

I needed this victory. It's been so long since this feeling last took me. Of course it gives confidence before the nats which also will be competed on a heavy route.

The Norwegian Laengen (IAM) was caught on the last slopes of the hill towards the "Lion of the Gileppe", at the moment the classic hunter Sep Vanmarcke dropped everybody but Cyclocross World Champion Wout Van Aert.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 08:33 by just some guy, Reason: calendar »
    "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Re: Ster ZLM Tour
    « Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 16:33 »

2 out of 3

and 3 out of 3 #jumbo
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9471
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 08:40 »
    #quickstep Lefevere is not happy that Roglic got the same time as the winner after being held up in a crash with 3.5k to go. "Rules are rules, and they must be applied. 3.5k are not 3k. Kittel should have got the leaders jersey. But well, Lotto Jumbo is a Dutch team [in a Dutch race]..."

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170617_02928601
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    « Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 08:54 »
    #quickstep Lefevere is not happy that Roglic got the same time as the winner after being held up in a crash with 3.5k to go. "Rules are rules, and they must be applied. 3.5k are not 3k. Kittel should have got the leaders jersey. But well, Lotto Jumbo is a Dutch team [in a Dutch race]..."

http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170617_02928601

Rules are rules when they work in the favor of my team. He has a point the whole issue is of course rules are not rules in cycling
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1316
    « Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 21:10 »
    Antoine Warnier, Most Aggressive Rider of the Stage

ZLM Tour : Zé Gonçalves of Portugal wins the stage in Verviers and the GC. Warnier is on the podium

(La Meuse, aka the Liege edition of Sudpresse, article only published in the regional part of the newspaper, so of the Liege area that is. On 19th June)

The 192km of the Ster ZLM Tour between Verviers and La Gileppe were relentless for the peloton. Warnier got in the breakaway and got the price for most aggressive rider before the surprising Portuguese José Gonçalves got the stage win.

Podiuming on La Gileppe in order to get kissed by charming Dutch podium girls (which probably made her future spouse Marlène - visiting the race - a bit jealous), Antoine Warnier of WB Veranclassic saved Liège’s honour for often the morning breakaway riders are opening the way in an ungrateful way, mainly when the races are not televised. However sometimes like in the Tour of France or here in the Ster ZLM Tour, they are rewarded by the price for most aggressive rider.
    If there was one stage to get this prize that was the one. It’s the only one in Wallonia. The objective was to be in front and to anticipate the obstacles. I knew I could not compete with Primož Roglič and I sure saw a guy like Laurens De Plus on the podium. I attacked right from the start and the peloton completely blew out. We were about 40 of us in front because some were contesting the bonus sprint. Once it was behind we managed to escape with the seven of us but the peloton never let us go. The fight was intense behind. After the Redoute and in the Reid I felt the group started disorganizing. That’s why I descended the Maquisard towards Spa all out because I know the climb very well. Maxim Belkov came back and I suffered in Annette-&-Lubin. I started to have a raging hunger and tried to hang up as long as possible with the chasers who caught us. Then once they got back  I gave a hand and then I hung to the branches.
    Says the rider of Xhendremael who was in the attack from km 0 but only after 40km the right breakaway got clear.

Dropped in the second and last but one ascent to the Gileppe Dam, Warnier ended 31st in the stage result, 3’42” behind winner Goncalves.
    We had hoped for better maybe but when you see how the stage unfolded you can be satisfied. It was hard. Few climbs were avoided

Portuguese José Gonçalves got clear with Laurens De Plus at the start of the final lap before dropping his day mate in the ascent, condemning Maxime Vantomme to a 4th place. Zé Gonçalves kept the leader’s jersey in the final stage in Oss last Sunday after winning in La Gileppe.

Nice Success: The Ster ZLM Tour Will Come Back in 2018

The coming of the Dutch race on the Gileppe Dam has been a tradition since 2009 and should be extended for the 10th time in 2018. The organizers of the Ster ZLM Tour again collaborated with Vélo-Club Ardennes (for the 20th year, since it all start with the Tedeflex Tour, an amateur race at that time) last Saturday in order to organise the only Belgian stage of the race.
    We saw a nice stage. The exam period and the absence of Philippe Gilbert probably did not help gathering a lot of people but we could expect a bit more spectators since the field included numerous World class sprinters. However it seems we can do it again next year!
    says Pierre Pirard, President of Vélo-Club Ardennes who was present in La Gileppe. It seems that the future of the race is secured as its main partners renewed their commitment.

(Maxime Segers)
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Latest Roadbooks

Recent Posts

Re: Race news 2018 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:35]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:21]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:12]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 05:25]

Re: Retirement announcements by search
    [November 16, 2017, 08:13]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2017, 20:35]