3 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 207

Voting closed: July 01, 2017, 10:32

Francois the Postman

• National Champion
  • Liked: 821
Re: The Jersey Contenders
« on: June 22, 2017, 14:50 »
Froome now confirmed to be without Wout Poels for that important third week.  This, I am sure, is another niggle for Sky's front man. Niggles that can only be removed once the Tour de France starts to roll itself out across France, and Froome's actual hold over competitors will crystalise.

I am hoping for an open race, so part of me is pleased as I quite enjoy seeing favourites in opposite teams, exposed to just each other early on. Although the other part of me regrets not being able to see Wout do what he does best.

On the flipside, with Froome aiming for the TdF-Vuelta double, having Wout with fresh and keen legs heading to the Vuelta must offer some consolation for those rooting for Sky.

Still being punch-drunk on 'our' first GT win since the 80s, I'm not too fussed who wins the TdF this year.

I am however quietly praying that the more adventurous and attacking racing style we have seen on display for so many races this year, something that certainly isn't alien to Froome's nature either, for once will be able to escape from the clutches of the risk-adverse atmosphere that has infected the TdF and far too often deprives oxygen from any full-on entertainment opportunity the moment it shows a pulse.

It would be good if, for once, the biggest cycling show on earth would indeed be that.

I will admit that Richie Porte exites me as much as listening to the audiobook version of a Kafka play, narrated by United Nation bureaucrats, in Icelandic. So if it isn't him, I am fine with that.
  • ReplyReply

•