collapse

hiero

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 881
Stage: 3 - 3 July : Verviers - Longwy, 202.00 km
« on: June 23, 2017, 22:33 »
It's Monday - it must be Belgium! We will pass through Luxembourg on our way back to France. This is a lumpy day, but with the exception of the finish into Longwy, this looks very likely to be another day with no selections made. The route is on open and good roads. The uphill finish is short - but sharp - with a max gradient of 11%. This looks like a BOTD day, with the break getting caught at the end. It might be a day for Tommy Voelckler to get in the break and animate the race, hoping for a stage win. Or it might be a day when Sagan (or Phil-Gil) gets a jump at the end and takes the stage. The finish in Longwy rules out the sprinters today.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 16:16 by hiero »
    Eeyore sez . . .

t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1540

I think this victory will go to the rider that believes most strongly that he can win.  :angel

#bora Peter Sagan
    #sunweb Michel Matthews
    #quickstep PhilGil
    #didata Edvald Boasson Hagen
    #ag2r Alexis Vuillermoz
    #bmc Greg van Avermaet
    #bahrain Sonny Colbrelli
    #fdj Arnaud Demare / or Arthur Vichot
    #uae Diego Ulissi

any surprise dudes from  the pro-contis that can make it?
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10826
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Big stage to get a real read on Froomes form and how the crash effected him
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

hiero

• Road Captain
    Big stage to get a real read on Froomes form and how the crash effected him
    Hmm. Ya think so? I woulda thunk the opposite, actually. Unless we get rain again, this is a day for the GC men to hide in the fodder. UNLESS, one or more of them thinks they stand a chance because of the ramp - but I strongly doubt that - way too short. Valverde, Van Avermat, sure. Contador, Porte, Froome, not so much.

That ramp is steep - but it is SHORT - 300 meters.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3507
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Hmm. Ya think so? I woulda thunk the opposite, actually. Unless we get rain again, this is a day for the GC men to hide in the fodder. UNLESS, one or more of them thinks they stand a chance because of the ramp - but I strongly doubt that - way too short. Valverde, Van Avermat, sure. Contador, Porte, Froome, not so much.

That ramp is steep - but it is SHORT - 300 meters.
      yep but there will be gaps
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
      yep but there will be gaps

Ok. Well, I want to hear what you think, then, after the stage today. I will also be keeping an eye out for Froome - to see if I can see anything that speaks to me about his form (just cuz you said, bruv!).
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3900
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    Happy with Berto's performance today :)
    The finish did not suit him but he came out of nowhere to the front at the beginning of the climb and could respond to Porte's initial acceleration, but as the climb flattened at the top he slowly drifted back. He's never been strong in (false) flat sprints so it was a good showing, no time loss and most importantly STILL IN ONE PIECE :o :shh
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

Slapshot

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 295
    no time loss and most importantly STILL IN ONE PIECE :o :shh

Week one... all that matters...  :D :D
  • ReplyReply

• latino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 126
    • Saganator
    Happy with Berto's performance today :)
    The finish did not suit him but he came out of nowhere to the front at the beginning of the climb and could respond to Porte's initial acceleration, but as the climb flattened at the top he slowly drifted back. He's never been strong in (false) flat sprints so it was a good showing, no time loss and most importantly STILL IN ONE PIECE :o :shh

I was also very happy to see Contador responding to Porte's attack.
    I want to see what he can do at the top of his game against Froome and the other favorites.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r
    Was some  interest GC wise. Sagan is a superstar Matthews is his biggest #vert rival
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1748
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    I was also very happy to see Contador responding to Porte's attack.
    I want to see what he can do at the top of his game against Froome and the other favorites.

Interesting to me was that I listened to two, post race tv summations on this.
    One was positive, the other, the opposite.
    I guess we won't have too long to wait to find out.

Porte looks to me like he's going to cause a lot of pain in the hills for everybody, including Froome.

But on just over a km of climbing, first impressions may be misleading.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

just some guy

• Hall of Fame'r

Porte looks to me like he's going to cause a lot of pain in the hills for everybody, including Froome.

Was my impression as well but then he stopped to allow GAV to get back on. So the climb of the pretty ladies will be key
  • ReplyReply

• latino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 126
    • Saganator

True, I heard both versions too.

For me it's more about who's hungry than who's strong.
    In a short climb like yesterday it might be misleading to know who's in good form.

But Porte and Contador showed themselves in front of the pack, attacking on a short climb.
    That tells me that they want to try something and that the legs feel good enough to accept that they might waste energy on a failed attack.
    It also means that they want to get some seconds back from Froome as soon as possible.

It might be an indication that we're going to have some early attacks by the Pistolero and Porte, which will be good for the spectacle.
    If you add Aru and Bardet into the mix, we might have a very interesting TdF after all.
  • ReplyReply

•