collapse

hiero

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 823
Another sprint train day! Good roads, flat, with some minor hilliness to sap the legs. Outside of Vandeleville (166 k) there is a cat 4 uphill pull on good roads to the Col des Trois Fontaines (170.5 k). This is not likely to make a difference at the end but it could be a chance for an attack, with only 30 k remaining until the finish. More likely, this will be a BOTD day, with the peloton taking things a little easier behind, and the sprint trains taking over near the end.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 16:05 by hiero »
    Eeyore sez . . .

Armchair Cyclist

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2012
    • Awards: Giro Prediction Champ 2017
    Everyone expects it to ed in a bunch sprint, but it is not one of the stages  "expected to finish in bunch sprints", so 1 second, rather than 3 second, gaps will result in a time loss.

Odd.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1452
    So who is it gonna be?

#quickstep Kittel ?
    #didata Cavendish ?
    #fdj Demare ?
    #lotto Greipel ?
    #jumbo Groenewegen ?
    #katusha Kristoff ?
    #cofidis Bouhanni ?

I think I for once will spare some coins betting on #katusha Katusha, the red train #1  is in tatters after yesterdays mass crash including a torn shoulder ligament for Zabel, who should be the last man leading him out and did a good job on that in California (so good Kristoff couldn't keep up) and in Frankfurt (so good Kristoff could have walked off the bike last meters). sh*t luck for Kristoff and just like last year, when he lost Michael Mørkøv on the first stage. Now, if only they had taken Zabel last year and Mørkøv this year....

#quickstep could be the favorites as Kittel in general seems to swipe a couple of stages once he gets going, but he also doesn't have the usual quality leadout from his team.  #fdj Demare seems to have the most intact squad including Guarnieri and the train tricolor is perhaps the days' favorite? Except there's in arch-enemy in the #cofidis red train #2. I haven't seen them beat the best this year, but if he can't win he surely can screw things up for Demare and it will at least be half as good.

#lotto Greipel also seems strong, the rest I whink requre some fatigue from the others before they come in to contention, I think next week's sprint will be more open, less Kittel/Bouhanni /Cavendish gladiator style, more accelration than top speed dominated and more classics -endurance - sprinters  can come in #lotto Greipel,  #fdj Demare, #jumbo Groenewegen oh and #bora Sagan, did I forget? Kristoff will probably not come back with a working train before week 3,...  :(
  • ReplyReply

• latino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 126
    • Saganator
    Those who saw the end of stage 2 probably noticed that Kittel was alone and behind top 5 at around 300m to the finish.
    The recovery he made and subsequent attack just proved that he is so much stronger than the rest, it wasn't even a contest.
    I predict that stage 4 will end in the same fashion, with Kittel raising his arms at the line.
    The only one I see that could rival him is Demare, because of the slightly uphill finish.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9239
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    It's Bouhanni's home stage, so I guess he saved a bit of power yesterday (unlike Demare or Kristoff for example) to go full out today. Hard to say where he stands shape wise though
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1709
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     Demare becomes the first French sprinter to win a stage since Jimmy Casper.

Re the crash:
    Looked to me what started the skittle effect was Greipel swerved quite suddenly, clipped Bouhanni's rear wheel and everybody got shunted towards the barriers.
    The commies cloud the issue by sort of half penalising the Sagan elbow.
    So, I assume they were undecided over intent.
    Don't see Cav starting tomorrow.
    To me it was just an extreme example of a racing incident.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Francois the Postman

• National Champion
    • Liked: 801

After first giving the stage, time and points penalties, they have given Sagan the boot after all: Sagan out!
  • ReplyReply

• killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1035
    Marc going full Madiot  :lol

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 18:39 by Francois the Postman, Reason: embedding the full tweet with video »
    Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     Well, that's a decision that could come back to haunt them if we have a GC battle like last year. :fp

At least I don't need to bother check my Velogames team.
    Piti and Pete both gone.
  • ReplyReply

• latino

• Domestic Rider
    • Saganator
    I'm speechless about Sagan's DQ  :-x

I agree with Mellow Velo, it was just an extreme case of a racing incident, not even started by Sagan.
    This Tour is just riddled with bad decisions and sketchy moments.

If Froome wins a minute over the rest of the favorites tomorrow, killing all excitement once and for all, then this Tour is over for me...
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1258
    Twenty-eight years I've been watching this sport but such an elbow stretch, I've really never seen. Even the Bauer/Criquielion sprint was not so dangerous. Bauer did not raise the elbow. Perhaps we've got to get to the days of Gerben Karstens which were way before my time. How is DQ not even justified for some? Very dangerous move and finally some justice for Maxime Vantomme who sadly does not have Cavendish's prestige otherwise the Slovakian would have already been DQ'ed from Ghent-Wevelgem! Beside being immature off the bike, this guy becomes really dangerous on it. Sometimes when I see him I'm ashamed to be a cycling fan.

By the way, I don't see any posters on the other boards worrying about Cavendish's conditions at the moment? I've never liked the guy but hope he's all right.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain

latino

• Domestic Rider
    • Saganator
    Sagan wasn't at fault, this is was the worse decision possible.
    Cavendish jammed himself into an impossible space, leaned into Sagan, and headbutted him.
    Cavendish was already falling when Sagan tried to maintain balance on the bike, sending out the right elbow and left leg, or he would've fallen too.
    In this video you can clearly see that Sagan's elbow doesn't even connect with Cavendish.

https://streamable.com/j7gqb

I hope Cavendish recovers quickly, but he is the one who should be disqualified from the Tour.
  • ReplyReply

• Servais Knavendish

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 302
    Cavendish jammed himself into an impossible space, leaned into Sagan, and headbutted him.
    Cavendish was already falling when Sagan tried to maintain balance on the bike, sending out the right elbow and left leg, or he would've fallen too.
    In this video you can clearly see that Sagan's elbow doesn't even connect with Cavendish.

I hope Cavendish recovers quickly, but he is the one who should be disqualified from the Tour.

Wow that's quite an example of attack is best form of defence!  :yuush

I am really gutted that Sagan is out, I don't understand why having imposed a seriously strong penalty the commies decided to reconvene and dq the man.  I also agree that the arm movement is a lot more about reflex than aggression, but I can't buy that Cav was to blame this time.

So a very sad afternoon all up, two of the best characters / story makers seemingly out, on the eve of one of the least impressive personalities taking over in yellow...
      :o

• ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1258
    Cavendish had a lane ahead of him at the start. Heli view does not lie. The Slovak is not defendable...
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain

Nah.
    Can't agree with that at all.

Folks are just looking at the effect and trying to apportion blame, rather than looking for what caused them all to end up on the right hand side.

• ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 702
    Demare becomes the first French sprinter to win a stage since Jimmy Casper.

Re the crash:
    Looked to me what started the skittle effect was Greipel swerved quite suddenly, clipped Bouhanni's rear wheel and everybody got shunted towards the barriers.
    The commies cloud the issue by sort of half penalising the Sagan elbow.
    So, I assume they were undecided over intent.
    Don't see Cav starting tomorrow.
    To me it was just an extreme example of a racing incident.

Having seen it a few times this is sort of how I've viewed it. A chain reaction of a few things eventually led to the crash. The one thing I would say against Sagan is that there is a double move of the elbow into Cav. The first you could say was for balance the second looked more like shove into the barrier. What I would add is that I think Cav was going to crash elbow or not whether that lessens or increases Sagans offence I don't know
  • ReplyReply

• Joelsim

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1275
      • Music To Your Ears
    • Awards: Fanboy of 2016New member of the year 2015Current leader, 2015-17 Emerging Riders CQ game
    Did something happen today then?

No one on Twitter mentioned it.
  • ReplyReply

• just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
    • Hall of Fame'r
    • Liked: 10819
    • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016Reigning Spring Classics Prediction ChampJSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
    Should have been relegated to last I think not dsq
  • ReplyReply
  • Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1095
    There's also the sad irony that Sagan got his rainbow stripes because Nizzolo gave him room against the barriers, thereby denying Mark Cavendish who had taken the longer, safer way round.

I've never been involved in a bunch sprint so I'm happy to be corrected but I not convinced that Sagan would have been totally unaware that another cyclist was coming through that gap. I think after Demare went through he had to get on his wheel and stop the next rider getting past or else he wouldn't be able to get back to Demare; so he closed the space beside the barrier and made sure it stayed closed even once a trip to hospital was the only possible outcome.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    These stages need some bookeeping work now! As long as the Contador is busy and out cycling most of the time, someone else is gonna have to do it.

Comments:
    1. Can someone please explain the first crash at approx 1.5km to me? Was that the long expected Geraint Thomas fall?
    2. Nobody talks about it for some reason: bloody awesome sprint by #fdj Arnaud Demare, he is a new king sprinter in the making and that'll be a lot of fun for the french.
    3. #didata Edvald Boasson Hagen or mark Renshaw could maybe have won this if he hadn't waited for Cavendish? They had a good gap ... to Cavendish!
    4. #quickstep Marcel Kittel and speed bumps! Today, #katusha did what they skidded away from on stage 2. Just a little pressure up a hill and .... he is gone.
  • ReplyReply

• killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1035

Comments:
    1. Can someone please explain the first crash at approx 1.5km to me? Was that the long expected Geraint Thomas fall?

https://u.nya.is/jdkpym.mp4

A FDJ rider touches the rear wheel of a Lotto-Soudal rider who's coming up on the right side.
  • ReplyReply

• latino

• Domestic Rider
    • Saganator
    Nah.
    Can't agree with that at all.

Folks are just looking at the effect and trying to apportion blame, rather than looking for what caused them all to end up on the right hand side.

All riders moved to the right side.
    So who's to blame there?

Should have been relegated to last I think not dsq

I agree 100%.

2. Nobody talks about it for some reason: bloody awesome sprint by #fdj Arnaud Demare, he is a new king sprinter in the making and that'll be a lot of fun for the french.

It was a good sprint, but he also moved to the left, cutting off Bouhanni, and almost causing another crash.
    Why no one talks about that?
  • ReplyReply

• latino

• Domestic Rider
    • Saganator
    Anyone knows if Contador fell on that first crash?
    He came in pretty late along with Geraint Thomas (who did fell).
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 702
    Anyone knows if Contador fell on that first crash?
    He came in pretty late along with Geraint Thomas (who did fell).

I don't think he did. Based on his postion and the timings of the riders around him (he finished well ahead of the first rider to be given a time gap) so I'm assuming he was able to go past that crash on the right hand side.
  • ReplyReply

• mudplugger

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 18
    Cavendish had a lane ahead of him at the start. Heli view does not lie. The Slovak is not defendable...

That was my view too. A lot of the videos being posted appear to show Cavendish cramped up against the barrier so argue there was no space, but they are taken too late and after Sagan has closed the gap by chasing Demare's wheel.

0.53 to 55 here
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    (Demare's)
    It was a good sprint, but he also moved to the left, cutting off Bouhanni, and almost causing another crash.
    Why no one talks about that?

I didn't talk about it cause I didn't see it then (I watched it recorded later at night).
    However, now I agree... DSQ for Demare as well.

#katusha Kristoff winner!  :D
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 740
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    Is cycling going soft?

Sagan is unlucky for me. I think the elbow was coincidental and taking that out we are talking racing incident.

It looks worse than it is for me.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    All riders moved to the right side.
    So who's to blame there?

Had I not already pointed that out?
    I also repeated the need to check out what cause the sprint to move right in the post you attack. :S

I haven't wavered from my original observation that it was just a really bad racing incident.
    One thing  I am certain of is that the elbow, that was the reason the race jury gave showing the Tour door, never made contact.

Your attempt to pin the blame on Cav was what I was disagreeing with.
    Again, I'm not looking to apportion blame, but cause.

Even though, under UCI rules they can't, Bora are making an official appeal.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/bora-hansgrohe-make-official-protest-peter-sagans-disqualification-tour-de-france-339662
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 08:55 by Mellow Velo »

Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 938
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    Sprint dq + points docking would've been alright. Race dq is a bit OTT. Weapons grade mental gymnastics in the streamable link above. Sagan's leading with his elbow before it's highlighted, and IMO that changes possibly falling cav to definitely falling cav.

Will make the green jersey interesting for the first time in yonks.
  • ReplyReply

•