collapse

hiero

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 736
Stage 7 closes out sprint week. Somebody could have a good leg up in the green jersey competition by now - or it could be that every sprint stage has been won by a different sprinter. It all depends on luck and the legs. And timing!

The yellow jersey will have been worn by one, maybe two riders so far, but that could change starting tomorrow.

Enjoy the bunch madness at the end, and get ready for a change of pace!

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 16:11 by hiero »
    Ubi est ignis

hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 736
    Update to forecast. Cav and Sagan are out. Demare has the green by a good margin at the start of stage 6, but that could change in today's sprint finish. Sky have kept #yellow, taking it off Geraint Thomas's back, and putting it on Froome's. However, there are plenty of riders within spitting distance of taking the yellow away from Sky. BMC has shown team strength, and Porte is right up there with Froome at the moment. Aru has made up some seconds, and if he can leave the other GC contenders behind, on the upcoming mountain stages, like he did on Les Planche des Filles, he can take #yellow.
  • ReplyReply

• latino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 91
    • Saganator
    I think it'll be quite similar to today, except that the sprinters will reach the finish a little more tired.
    We've seen Demare and Greipel cope with these hills much better than Kittel.
    We'll see if it affects the final sprint.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4876
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

BOTD: Maxime Bouet (Fortuneo-Oscaro), Manuele Mori (UAE Team Emirates), Yohann Gène (Direct Energie) and Dylan van Baarle (Cannondale-Drapac)

It wasn't exactly the most hotly contested battle to get in the break. Colbrelli won the sprint from the peloton for the intermediate. Kittel hardly bothered.

Scrappy finale with furniture down the middle of the road messing up trains. DD (RJVR mainly) did a great job and delivered EBH to the front with not far to go. Kristoff looked like he was going to challenge, but his stock market price took another hit as his fellow countryman held him off and only Kittel in the end managed to get ahead ..... by a pixel.

Demare nowhere for once. He said he was feeling good then bad and then good again through the day.

Anybody seen the official zoomed photo from which they took the decision? I've only seen the blown up normal one doing the rounds.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1240

BOTD: Maxime Bouet (Fortuneo-Oscaro), Manuele Mori (UAE Team Emirates), Yohann Gène (Direct Energie) and Dylan van Baarle (Cannondale-Drapac)

It wasn't exactly the most hotly contested battle to get in the break. Colbrelli won the sprint from the peloton for the intermediate. Kittel hardly bothered.

Scrappy finale with furniture down the middle of the road messing up trains. DD (RJVR mainly) did a great job and delivered EBH to the front with not far to go. Kristoff looked like he was going to challenge, but his stock market price took another hit as his fellow countryman held him off and only Kittel in the end managed to get ahead ..... by a pixel.

Demare nowhere for once. He said he was feeling good then bad and then good again through the day.

Anybody seen the official zoomed photo from which they took the decision? I've only seen the blown up normal one doing the rounds.

I know this reaction is a bit retarded (in French)[1] but

!"¤!%§! #"%% §!  :angry  :angry  :angry :-x :omg CAN SOMEONE SHOW ME THAT PIXEL, PLEASE?

That's a dead heat.

!#"#&"E¤/"#¤/ !"# !"# !"¤# ! !!!   

If #didata can do this for Edvald, imagine what they could have done with Edvald for Cavendish. I think that would have been a winning team actually.
    I think this was the first sprint in this race where the leadouts were decisive for the outcome. #katusha lost some ground thatneitherHaller nor Zabel was able to claw back (this is where Mørkøv would have made a difference) and Kristoff basically lost because he had to go out in the wind and close that gap himself. Good job on grabbing Kittel's back but by then he had already spent much energy it seemed.

1. *fra en retard = too late. It is because I watched a recording several hours later, after work.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1614
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    For me it was and always will be a dead heat.
    0.0003 of a second: where do you draw the line?
    3 micro seconds? Or the gnat that got stuck to somebody's front wheel?
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Slapshot

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 290
    For me it was and always will be a dead heat.
    0.0003 of a second: where do you draw the line?
    3 micro seconds? Or the gnat that got stuck to somebody's front wheel?

The bold above, if you can't separate them on the photo finish the declare a dead heat.
  • ReplyReply

• latino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 91
    • Saganator
    The difference is 0.0003 sec or 6 mm, I agree with you all, it should've been declared a tie.
    The actual camera that was used to show the difference shots a frame at every 0.0001 sec.
    So the difference was very very close to the limit of the camera.

I've read somewhere that Kittel might've won because he had slightly higher tire pressure :P
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4876
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    http://www.procycling.no/kristoff-haper-pa-edvald-opptrekk/

Kristoff throws Zabel under the bus.

This time, however, the German Rick Zabel who did not respond to the commands that were given in the heat of battle.

Rick said he was going to start just as I came past in double quick time. When there was no point. He had a plan in his head, but it was too late.

Since (Tour of) California Rick has been sisteopptrekker (leadout man I presume). In Frankfurt too (won by Kristoff front Zabel). But the move is somewhat higher here (Tour de France), I think he has struggled a bit.

He could be right. He probably is right, but going public seems very harsh. A burning of bridges or just extreme straight talking?
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    Kristoff is extreme straight talking, not a diplomatic guy,  and at times he seems to score lower than the american president on political correctness. This sword cuts both ways, and at times he has been sweet talking the leaders in Katusha about their doping past in public as well. I thought they would kick him off the team the day after but look many years later Ekimov left before him.

Strangely enough, in a world full of omertans (omertarians) I kind of like his style. I do see that it fits better if you just came from out of nowhere (at least BMC) with an olympic bronze medal than if you are a double-monument-captain-dude with a high paycheck on one of the major teams. I am not sure he sees and understands himself as the leader that he actually is on his team. I don't see that his attitudes have evolved much since his breakthrough in the London olympicsm but the world and I would guess his team sees him differently.

There is a somewhat contrasting figure that rider for #didata. Edvald Boasson Hagen never makes such statements in public and his team would lead him out in a frozen waterfall if he asked them to do so. Relations at Katusha definetly seems to be more tense, and loyalty in between the team members can at times be questioned. 

One thing is Kristoff, the other is Tony Martin. I don't know what's going on but he isn't really working for Kristoff and he is not stealing away on any 1km flyers either. In terms of what he produces for the team in road races, I think there are a dozen guys that could replace him this year and Nils Politt has been a far more consistent contributor than Martin.(Not to mention Michael Mørkøv  :angry )

To me it seems like Katusha would like to be more of a German team, and that may be hard to reconcile with a Norwegian star rider. Even if Kittel seems off limits there is always the chance that with Pollitt, Martin, and Zabel (and with or without Haller and Hollenstein), they 've got a good enough team for next year. Zabel keeps getting better and Martin definetly has potential above what we have seen this year. Politt impresses me the most, I think he is a future classics star.  None of these will replace Kristoff one to one but as a group they have the same competencies that Kristoff has used to win races.

And I think it is true that Zabel was better in California, but strange that they omitted a rather simple explanation: he hit the dirt on stage 2 and hurt his shoulder quite badly. You actually use the shoulder when you sprint and climb, so ok: Zabel may not be the right man on the leadout then.

(My status is I crashed two days later and hurt my shoulder and I still can't use it to hold my handlebars...I sympathize!)

• ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5856
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    To me it seems like Katusha would like to be more of a German team, and that may be hard to reconcile with a Norwegian star rider.
    Most definitely.
    For 2018, Kristoff (& Bystrøm & Mørkøv) moving somewhere else (Astana seems to be the frontrunner right now), and being replaced with a German-speaking star (Kittel?) appears to be a foregone conclusion.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1077
    Kristoff is extreme straight talking, not a diplomatic guy...

You mean like most Norwegians? or is he straight taking even amongst his fellow countrymen? Because if it's the latter, that really is extreme.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    You mean like most Norwegians? or is he straight taking even amongst his fellow countrymen? Because if it's the latter, that really is extreme.

Extremely straight talking, even among Norwegians! Do you think he'd be unable to cooperate with Edvald Boasson Hagen if he was a diplomatic guy? 
    I do think this gets him into trouble at times and might have played a part in creating the tense atmosphere at Katusha these days. It is also possible Michael Mørkøv is a little bit of the same breed? Anyway - it doesn't seem like Azevedo and Schmidt have the same respect for the riders' voice at Katusha as Ekimov had. Under Ekimov, Mørkøv was kind of a union leader and spokesman for the riders. If you are a union leader you occasionally will disagree with management. It appears that under Azevedo this is treated more like insubordinação - not finding your place in the hierarchy and not obeying orders. This is a normal cultural conflict between people from northern europe, especially Scandinavia, and people from the latin countries. (The reverse side of it is that Scandivians find stuff like the leader of a team going OTL with half his team and then the management calls it "loyalty" completely laughable.)

The lesson learned from all of this is that Luca Paolini might have been the diplomat Katusha needed on their team and maybe they need a roadcaptain of a similar standing as much as they need a sprinter.  There are not that many in the business, so they should think seriously about this, quickly!
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 5856
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    The lesson learned from all of this is that Luca Paolini might have been the diplomat Katusha needed on their team and maybe they need a roadcaptain of a similar standing as much as they need a sprinter.  There are not that many in the business, so they should think seriously about this, quickly!
    For that to happen you'd have to have someone with man management experience in charge, ideally someone who did at least some sort of course on it, and not two fellows who moved seamlessly from the position of rider (in the 'old times') to that of DS/team manager.

#katusha will throw out their Scandis, probably sign Kittel, and if they're not careful, their German big-money sponsor will at some point be fed up with the team and do the same they already did once: Pull their sponsorship. :(
  • ReplyReply

•