collapse

t-72

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 3316
You'd think so; and so would I.
But then, why did Liège have the 'better' barriers today? Unless the Belgians (cycling-experienced that they are) did that on their own accord ...

Barriers are probably rented and not owned by the race organizers although if anyone owns their own barriers it might be ASO. However, as they are (clearly not) sport-specific I would assume the companies that own them also rent them to other events like concerts, national day parades, marathons  and god-knows-what: the gay pride parade, maybe. It is a general purpose thing used for cycling not a cycling thing used for anything else. There is a lot of fences involved and moving them is a major logistics operation, as they need to be picked up and sat down one by one. This will be more work than moving the same weight of boxed cargo from a to b. How much fences? I don't know about the TdF, but the organizing committee for the 2017 world championship has just picked up 40 kilometers of fencing somewhere - that's a shipload!

I would guess it is hard to move fences to new destinations overnight and that large races like the Tour and the Giro probably have several sets of fences that they transport along not to the next finish location, but one they will be using later?  (ie...barriers don't travel  Düsseldorf --> Liege but maybe Düsseldorf --> Longwy?)
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2019-20 by al_pacino
    [December 11, 2019, 22:01]

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by search
    [December 11, 2019, 17:46]

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by Joelsim
    [December 11, 2019, 16:52]

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [December 11, 2019, 16:47]

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by Leadbelly