collapse

just some guy

• Fourth Generation humanoid bot
  • Hall of Fame'r
  • Liked: 10826
  • Awards: Best Avatar of 2016JSG News Filter Award 2014Poster of 2014Thread of the Year 2013Most Helpful Member 2013Art of Brevity 2012Most helpful member 2012Best member of staff 2012
Of course, if this turns out someday to be the industry standard integrated handlebar-computer-braking solution then I'll eat my kevlar-reinforced aerodynamic hat.

Larri Nov 12, 2014

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1317
I think it's a real shame.

I also miss the Kapelmuur-Bosberg Combo but it should get back on the Tour of Flanders route. The Omloop has its own history. It's known to the oldies as Ghent-Ghent. In my opinion it should remain so, even though between 1996 and 2007 it was Ghent-Lokeren, but well Lokeren is a neighbouring town to Ghent.

However the Omloop also had a perfect combination of cobbled climbs and flat cobbled sections as deciders in the finale (even back in the Lokeren days, I really liked the "Vogelzangstraat" and the "Krimineelstraat" where Peter Van Petegem used to fly away). With the new route, that would change and the races loses a unique aspect. The Flandrian races are getting less and less polarised, all seem to look like each other...

PS: By the way, you already started this thread, didn't you? Merger?
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1537
    However the Omloop also had a perfect combination of cobbled climbs and flat cobbled sections as deciders in the finale (even back in the Lokeren days, I really liked the "Vogelzangstraat" and the "Krimineelstraat" where Peter Van Petegem used to fly away).

Never heard of these places before, but this sounds like the one and only opportunity for #astana to steal a cobbled classic victory!  :D
  • ReplyReply

• Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1317
    Just an extra note about that former Omloop route, there was a third cobbled section in that finale but I don't remember the name for it was not as punchy as those two, you bet! ;) But really these section looked way more lethal than the Lange Munt and the other section of the most recent route. But it was still a great feat of strength by the organisers to be able to design two routes with the same structure: cobbled climbs followed by flat cobbles. Next route will be a revolution in that sense. Shame!

-----------

So this is the reason I wanted to bump this thread  ;)

(Sudpresse - 24 July)

Stockeu and Haute-Levée back in 2018?

You remember that the 2017 edition of Liège-Bastogne-Liège was stripped of its famous trilogy: Wanne-Stockeu-Haute Levée due to the major roadwork down the "abbatial town" [Stavelot, that is!]

If you see the amount of work that need be done, it could last for 2 or 3 years
    So warned the town councillor for local work.

However Liège-Bastogne-Liège could do an earlier return than expected to Stavelot, which is very welcome.
    The building site is advancing faster than expected because the area concerned is already in the process of rehabilitation and will be functional as soon as September. It will probably be the same for the bridge over the Amblève river.
    Says Patrice Lefèbvre [I guess he's the councillor in question].

There is "but", however.

The whole of the drainage/sewage work won't be over by next spring. This being said, we considered a B-plan. Down the Stockeu, the riders will still not cross the bridge but will turn left in the area of "Les Bressaix" and up towards downtown before approaching the Haute-Levée. This suggestion implies some very narrow streets, I admit, but perfectly doable. The only thing remaining is whether the bosses of ASO will agree.

Something is telling us that a certain Joseph Crotteux, the connection between ASO and the Liège province will make a tour in the area of the Amblève river not before long. Fingers crossed, in Stavelot!
    -----------------

I don't know the area that well but I haven't quite understood. So does that mean Stockeu will still skipped regardless. Or well does the bridge come after the Stockeu descent or before the Stockeu ascent? I don't exactly remember.  :S
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5350
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    The 2018 calendar is starting to take shape on the UCI site.

http://www.uci.ch/road/calendar/

Some highlights or new races that I noticed at a glance:

WT

Turkey still there
    Late start to the TdF (7/7)
    Slight shuffling for post TdF races - no repeat of this year's SS, TdP, RideLondon snarl up

African Tour

2.1 Tour of South Africa
    The return of racing in Algeria - five races

American Tour

Vuelta de Chile
    Colombia moves to February
    The usual list of Brazilian and Mexican races which tend not to end up as UCI races (but we have a Baja correspondent ready if needed)
    Cascade Cycling Classic gone
    Reading 120 returns
    1.1 Independence Cycling Classic - new name for a returning Philly race?

Asian Tour

2.1 Sharjah Tour
    2.1 Tour of Indonesia
    1.1 Desert Pearl
    No sign of Qatar returning
    A Sri Lankan stage race

European Tour

Hammer Zagreb - I thought it was just a Norwegian one we were getting?
    2.1 Peace Race
    The PostNord Danmark Rundt is being held in Egypt (or maybe not) and at the start of August
    2.1 Vuelta Aragon
    2.1 Deutschland Tour
    An Post Ras still there despite An Post pulling out of all cycling sponsorship
    2.1 Adriatica Ionica Race
    Hammer Stavanger - Tour des Fjords will still exist as a 3 day race
    Still only one Russian race - Five Rings

Oceania Tour

Gravel and Tar - sounds interesting

Anything there take your fancy or something interesting I missed?
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Turkey still there
    We'll see if it's still there by next year.

2.1 Tour of South Africa
    The return of racing in Algeria - five races
    Looks good, but I'd like to see something more substantial before I get all excited.

Colombia moves to February
    And it becomes 2.1! #movistar have received an invitation already from what I've heard.

Cascade Cycling Classic gone
    :(

Reading 120 returns
    1.1 Independence Cycling Classic - new name for a returning Philly race?
    :cool

2.1 Sharjah Tour
    2.1 Tour of Indonesia
    1.1 Desert Pearl
    No sign of Qatar returning
    A Sri Lankan stage race
    Don't really care either way, to be honest.

Hammer Zagreb - I thought it was just a Norwegian one we were getting?
    Hammer Stavanger - Tour des Fjords will still exist as a 3 day race
    They also put two events on the 2017 calendar (Hammer Switzerland in August, Hammer Cape Town in October) that never happened.
    So, take it with a bushel of salt. ;)

2.1 Peace Race
    This could be great. I hope it will be. :)

The PostNord Danmark Rundt is being held in Egypt (or maybe not) and at the start of August
    Yeah, I think that's a typo. The hosting country, at least. :P
    But Fyen Rundt & GP Horsens are upgraded to 1.1, it seems. :cool

2.1 Deutschland Tour
    Organised by ASO, should become a good one. :cool

An Post Ras still there despite An Post pulling out of all cycling sponsorship
    A cycling season without the Rás? Unthinkable.
    I hope they find enough money to keep the race on; this is a good sign.

2.1 Adriatica Ionica Race
    Organised by Moreno Argentin.
    A stage race in southern Italy - that area is underrepresented, so I'm all for it.

Other things I noticed:
    - 1.1 "Baku-Khizi Eco" on 8 May ... in *bs The Bahamas! :D That's probably meant to say *az Azerbaijan. So a one-day race the day before the Tour of Azerbaijan starts.
    - the lack of the Tour of Austria on the calendar. :o
    - Tour de Slovaquie moved to late August/early September, getting out of the very crowded June spot it had before :cool
    - A Nations Cup race in late January/early February, held in ... *cm Cameroon!? :slow Organised by Alpes Vélo, hosts of the Tour de l'Ain and co-organisators of the Tour de l'Avenir. Looking forward to what exactly this will be.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    Don't really care either way, to be honest.

I thought a race in Sri Lanka would be right up your street. :slow
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    I thought a race in Sri Lanka would be right up your street. :slow
    Oh, I don't hate it. But I'm not particularly excited about it either.

If we knew just which level the local cyclists were at compared to other Asian nations, and how many of them would be participating, I might be more interested. But we don't know anything about that - the only races Srilankans have taken part in in the last ten years were Asian Games and such.
    Of course, there not being any UCI races in India, it's not as if they had much to choose from.

So, while those new 'petrodollar races' around the Gulf are most definitely 'meh', this one gets a 'huh, we'll see'. :)
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 952
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    "A Sri Lankan stage race"

Fantastic. Although there is the question of whether they can afford it. Either the tourism ministry or the Chinese.

And the race will put on a show scenery-wise. One of the most beautiful countries I've seen.

Edit: Sri Lanka T-cup sponsored by a travel agency till this year apparently.
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    http://www.postnorddanmarkrundt.dk/postnord-danmark-rundt-2018-koeres-i-august-med-seksmandshold/

The 2018 Tour of Denmark will take place 1-5 August, and it will be raced with teams of 6 riders (until now it was 8).
    Since the team size would have to be reduced to 7 anyway, reducing it to 6 is absolutely the right decision.
    They also say that they hope the 6-rider teams will lure more WT teams to the race. I don't see how it makes a big difference from the 7 riders they would have as maximum team size, but it is a difference from 8-man teams.
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    http://cyclingpro.net/velopro/course/grand-prix-de-denain/grand-prix-de-denain-va-devenir-classique-pavee/

GP de Denain moves to the day after Milano-San Remo and will change its character - from 'yet another race won by a French sprinter' to a race with ten pavé sections. :win
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    https://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/news/136/152/AMGEN-TOUR-OF-CALIFORNIA-ANNOUNCES-2018-HOST-CITIES-AND-RACE-SCHEDULE-FOR-MENS-AND-WOMENS-RACES-IN-MAY

Stage 1 Long Beach - sprint?
    Stage 2 Ventura to Santa Barbara County (Gibraltar Road) - MTF
    Stage 3 King City to Monterey County (Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca) - reduced sprint
    Stage 4 San Jose (Time Trial) - could finish with a climb
    Stage 5 Stockton to Elk Grove - sprint?
    Stage 6 Folsom to South Lake Tahoe - not very steep kicker at the end
    Stage 7 Sacramento - sprint?
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    http://www.bikemagazine.com.br/2017/11/volta-de-san-juan-confirma-sete-equipes-world-tour/

Provisional Teams for San Juan:

Quick-Step Floors
    UAE Emirates
    Bahrain Merida
    Trek-Segafredo
    Bora-Hansgrohe
    Lotto-Soudal
    Movistar

Androni Giocattoli
    Caja Rural-Seguros RGA
    Israel Cycling Academy
    UnitedHealthcare
    Wilier Triestina-Selle Italia

SEP San Juan
    Agrupación Virgen de Fátima
    Rawson Somos Todos
    Asociación Civil Mardan
    Municipalidad de Pocito
    Team Unieuro Wilier Trevigiani
    Team Medellín-Éxito

Argentina
    Itália
    Colômbia
    Chile
    México
    Cuba
    Uruguai
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Latest Roadbooks

Recent Posts

Re: Tour de France 2018 General News by hiero
    [November 19, 2017, 20:56]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by search
    [November 19, 2017, 18:19]

Re: Race news 2018 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:35]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:21]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:12]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 05:25]

Recent Topics

topic Tour de France 2018 General News
    [Road Races]
    hiero
    November 19, 2017, 20:56