collapse

hiero

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 879
Re: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2017, 00:10 »
The bad

Landa is not on the podium because of 1 second.
Hmm. I'd put that in the Good column. But then, this year at least, Landa is in the enemy camp.

I'm still cheering for Bardet this year.

Maybe next year for Landa.
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3507
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #121 on: July 23, 2017, 02:07 »
    Overall

The Good

- it was a fun (Ish) race.  A bike race that is on TV every night for three weeks is always good ... even if its a little boring.
    - AG2R really took the race up to Sky.  Even though they were about 1/2 the strength of Sky, they gave it a good go and I give them a lot of credit for the attempt. 
    - Bardet still on the podium.  After the efforts of him and his team, he deserves it.
    - Matthews battle for Green was super.  I loved that he was so close and was prepared to fight for it
    - Barguil taking Polka dots.  Again he really fought hard for it, and it was well deserved.
    - Kwiatkowski and Julian Vermotte were for me the Dom's of the tour. 
    - The 2 riders who were beaten right on the line - EBH in a draw and Barguil where it wasnt quite so close but still - both ended up getting a stage later.   
    - Bodnar finally getting a win as well after being beaten earlier from a long break

The Bad
    - crashes robbed us of some very interesting times this Tour.  Valverde and Porte for GC, Sagan, Cav, Kittel for Green
    De Gendt not getting super combative.  being in 11 of 19 breaks should have meant something.  He was always up front, always attacking, driving the break and working.  He didnt just follow wheels.

the Ugly
    - booing of Froome
    - the race jury made some shockers

Winners from the Tour
    - Sky - 1st and 4th, Kwiatkowski .... no words.  Thomas gave them a stage win as well.
    - Sunweb - Green and Polkadots.  4 stage wins.  incredible
    - Quickstep - 5 stage wins, dominating ... Martin 6th on GC
    - AG2R - Bardet 3rd, Stage win, animated the race and won a lot of fans.
    - Astana - Aru stage win and time in yellow ... 5th place.
    - Orica Scott - Yates wins white.  Really that is all they were hoping for here as Chavez returning from injury and out of form
    - Cannondale.  Uran 2nd, and a stage win he did this singlehandedly.  Not sure what exactly Rollande was doing, but it wasnt acting as a dom for his leader.  (though in fairness he was no doubt tired from the Giro)
    - Direct Energie.  deciding not to take Coquard could well have cost them ... especially with Cav and Kittel out, Demare out, Greipel way off and the sprinters greatly reduced for Paris ... he must be kicking himself for not being selected.  Direct Energie though got a stage win and new French hero in Lillian Calmejane, have been in loads of breaks, Voekler and Chavanel both been very active ... they would consider this Tour a success.

Tour Losers
    - Movistar.  This tour was a disaster for them.  Valverde crashing out on stage 1,and Quintana nowhere near it after trying to do the Giro/Tour double.  Shame for Quintana as this was a Tour he could have won.
    - BMC.   Porte out, no stage wins, no GC ...
    - FDJ   Pinot was super tired from the Giro so did nothing.  ended up with only 3 finishers.  Demare did win a stage so its not entirely lost ... but having him out of the time limit was a big blow.
    - Astana - Aru 5th when they hoped for a podium or yellow.  Fuglsang out.  Issues.
    - Lotto Soudall.  No stage wins, Greipel way off his best.  He needs to win on the Champs Elysee to rescue this.
    - katusha.  No stage wins for Tony Martin, Kristoff been a disaster and more chat about where he is going than him actually doing anything.  A nothing tour for them
    - Cofidis  - pretty much a disaster for them too.  Bouhanni not winning a thing, pretty anonymous ... they need to win in Paris to rescue the Tour.
    - Bahrain Merida.  Were they here?

Mediocre / Meh
    - UAE.   2 x 2nd places on stages (Atapuma and Ulissi).  Meintjes finishing 8th.  They possibly would have hoped for more from this Tour.
    - Dimension Data - they saved their tour with a win from EBH, but with Cav out they were up against it.
    - Trek - again Mollema taking a stage saved something from disaster.  Contador not the leader they were hoping for.
    - Bora Hansgrohe.   With Sagan out they were always going to be up against it.  Sagan was the one they built this around.   Still, Bodnar nearly surviving from a long break, and then finally winning the ITT saved this for them.
    - Wanty Group Gobert.  Been ok for a Pro Conti team.  Have been in lots of breaks, Guilliam Martin been good, Offredo and  Backaert both also in a few breaks ... a win would have been lovely for them but wasnt to be
    - Lotto NL Jumbo.  Gesink out with a crash ... Roglic with a stage win saved it.  actually I nearly put this in the winners list as it was as good as could have been hoped for really.
  • ReplyReply

• Slapshot

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 295
    « Reply #122 on: July 23, 2017, 12:17 »
    Been away from the pc for a few days... but The two alpine stages were great to watch, the scenery always gets me much like the Pyrenees but there's just something about the Dauphine Alps..something very special.

From those stages...
    The Good -  Contador attacking he may not be at his best this year but the attacks on stage 9 and 17 were magnificent. Barguil looking like a star as does Roglic, cracking wins for the two of them. Dan Martin producing some of the best racing he's done, maybe not tactically perfect but good to see at least one of the GC hopefuls attacking.

The Bad - a set of GC hopefuls who have forgotten how to race. Parcours again, they could have been better another 3 or four Col day would have split the GC guys apart. Sky.... two stages of nothing bar a 300m downhill burst on the Casse Deserte.

The Ugly - Not that much other than see riders dropping out from crashes or crash related stuff always ugly when it happens.

19/20 both kind of meh stages ITT was tailor made for Froome, Contador was great Bodnar brilliant and like the day before got his reward like EBH did the day before.

Overall

Struggling to find many positives over the three weeks

The Good - Noobies, Calmejane might be one to watch, Latour handled things fairly well.

The scenery, the never ending passion of the French people for this race.

Seriously beyond that... highlights Contador's never say die attitude despite being below his best, Kittel's sprinting, Barguils Chase for the mountains jersey, Voeckler.. tried every day... the rise of Dan Martin

The Bad - The route! Nothing that could create aggressive racing.

The GC hopefuls... you were poor chaps find a book that explains racing.

The commies see ugly.

Eurosport Commentary in the UK carlton needs put out to grass, there are so many good younger presenters and commentators out there and we get stuck with a mindless pillock who is trying very badly to sound like the late but great Duffers.

Has anyone found Quintana I've looked for him the last three weeks but rarely seen him.

The Ugly
    -  Commissaires killed the race almost before it started, kicking Sagan out for nothing worse than a racing incident we've seen a hundred times before was shameful and robbed us on the best rider in the planet at the minute. Sad when another team can demand this by a forceful DS.

Booing; I love the French passion around the race, its palpable at the roadside every time i've been but don't vboo people just because of who they are, that's unnecessary and brings our sport down to the gutter level of football.

The crashes.... there's been no simple ones this year it seems every crash was one that's had a major impact on the race.

Winners and losers

Winners - Sky and Sunweb, Sunweb are already the team of the year. DE for the Calmejane win and the aggressiveness of their riders in the break.

Losers -  Movistar as soon as Valverde crashed they were absolutely nowhere, practically anonymous

The rest all a  bit Meh really nobody grabbed the race by the balls and dragged it round France sad to say... roll on the Vuelta
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #123 on: July 23, 2017, 13:46 »
    . . .

Eurosport Commentary in the UK carlton needs put out to grass, there are so many good younger presenters and commentators out there and we get stuck with a mindless pillock who is trying very badly to sound like the late but great Duffers.

. . .

You know, I've kinda been defending Carlton for the past few years - he IS still a lot better than Phil and Paul. But this past 2-3 years, Kirby has grown increasingly irritating. I don't recall him making (in the past) such extremely dunce statements as some he has made the past two years. Maybe he is in early dementia, with his mouth on autopilot. He's made some real zingers this year - had me shaking my head - as in wtf was he on when he said that. I wouldn't object to him getting a pasture lease.
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1748
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #124 on: July 23, 2017, 22:21 »
    I guess there is good, bad and ugly in this.

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #125 on: July 23, 2017, 22:27 »
    I'm going to take this thread slightly astray, borrowing the "My Favorite" idea from Cycling Podcast:

"My Favorite": Stage 15, AG2R attacks for a 3rd stage, proving they are serious about attempting to take this Tour by the throat and hold it. Bardet's chances are much smaller at the end of the day, but they, as a team, showed panache - true fighting spirit. On the other hand, Martin's chances at the end of the day were enhanced, since he was only relying on himself. It was a beautiful stage, among several beautiful and memorable stages.
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 3899
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #126 on: July 23, 2017, 22:44 »
    Overall, that was pretty damn awful. I suppose we had a couple of stages with an interesting battle for the stage but most were quite boring. Highlights were Barguil and Matthews and the stage to Foix.
    Although the GC was really close it wasn't exciting - everyone knew who the winner would be. Says quite a lot that the most interesting GC related moment was when Froome had a mechanical on stage 15 - but AG2R made a mess of it. Huge lack of GC action throughout the race, we really missed Valverde, Porte, a strong Quintana and a strong Contador. In the end I'm even glad Froome won because the other contenders didn't do anything to deserve it. Bloody cowards.
    2/10. I wonder how long we'll have to wait to witness a Tour again that isn't at least three levels below the Giro and Vuelta in terms of excitement.
    Oh, another positive point: as it was Alberto's last TDF, I won't have to care much about this race anymore until it becomes interesting again :cool
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith

hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #127 on: July 24, 2017, 01:52 »
    . . .
    Although the GC was really close it wasn't exciting - everyone knew who the winner would be.  . . .
    Well now, see, there is one difference between us. I was rooting for the Froome-beaters at every chance. I know I predicted the demise of the other GC wannabes, but they were close enough that they really had a chance. And I had hope.

I agree about the lack of effort from other teams, except Sunweb and AG2R - AG2R actually rode a pretty smart race, given their strangth, and/or lack of it.  :)
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: 2017 TDF Prediction ChampKeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #128 on: July 24, 2017, 09:41 »
    Well now, see, there is one difference between us. I was rooting for the Froome-beaters at every chance. I know I predicted the demise of the other GC wannabes, but they were close enough that they really had a chance. And I had hope.

I agree about the lack of effort from other teams, except Sunweb and AG2R - AG2R actually rode a pretty smart race, given their strangth, and/or lack of it.  :)
    AG2R still get the dubious honour of biggest flip up in the race.
    They could have decided the race on stage 15, then and there. But they thought Cyril Gautier and Ben Gastauer would be able to hold off Sergio Henao and Vasil Kiryienka.
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #129 on: July 24, 2017, 10:25 »
    see I dont see that as AG2R's error - it was the other teams'

AG2R threw men at it.  They were already on the attack, and put in a concerted effort.  No other team joined in though.  No one else helped.

UAE put men on the front to bring back Alberto Contador and save Meintjes 10th place ... but no one would put anyone up there to get rid of the guy who has won 3 already and was in yellow.

• ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #130 on: July 24, 2017, 15:30 »

AG2R's error was to not immediately start pulling with their best riders - Vuillermoz, Bakelants, Latour (I don't remember exactly who were up there). Then Bardet should have gone with several other GC contenders halfway up the climb. By using up Gautier and Gastauer first they allowed Sky to bring Froome back rather quickly. Another error - Bardet didn't immediately attack when Froome got back. No, first he kindly allowed him to catch his breath :fp
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #131 on: July 24, 2017, 18:54 »
    AG2R's error was to not immediately start pulling with their best riders - Vuillermoz, Bakelants, Latour (I don't remember exactly who were up there). Then Bardet should have gone with several other GC contenders halfway up the climb. By using up Gautier and Gastauer first they allowed Sky to bring Froome back rather quickly. Another error - Bardet didn't immediately attack when Froome got back. No, first he kindly allowed him to catch his breath :fp

You could be right on that point, or maybe not. I wasn't sure Bardet had the legs to go at that point - but if AG2R DID have anyone who could have jumped the pace a bit right then - that would have been the ticket, for sure.  Maybe they could have put Vuillermoz on point at that moment. I sure don't know.

I just don't think AG2R had sufficient strength to pull that off, whereas Sky had sufficient strength and depth to bring Froome back. Another example of the success of being able to buy the strongest team. :(

AG2R really lit up this race for me. They bought a lot of points in my camp.

Post Merge: July 24, 2017, 18:58

AG2R threw men at it.  They were already on the attack, and put in a concerted effort.  No other team joined in though.  No one else helped.

UAE put men on the front to bring back Alberto Contador and save Meintjes 10th place ... but no one would put anyone up there to get rid of the guy who has won 3 already and was in yellow.

Exactly so. Which is the same namby-pamby attitude I feel like we've been seeing the past 4 years.
  • ReplyReply

• Sizzle

• Owner of Liquigas & Garmin
    • 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 144
    • Vale Craig1985
    « Reply #132 on: July 25, 2017, 05:19 »
    I guess there is good, bad and ugly in this.

Gulp. As if Sky need bigger coffers. Maybe caps to team budgets should be introduced.
  • ReplyReply

• latino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 126
    • Saganator
    « Reply #133 on: July 25, 2017, 12:58 »
    Tour de France - Overall

This will be long :D

The Good

- Froome not winning by a huge margin (like previous years) and keeping the suspense until the end.
     - Fight for top 10 until the very end. With important abandons and tired riders, we saw unexpected riders entering the top 10. We were expecting the likes of Porte, Quintana, Valverde, Pinot, Majka, etc. It's nice to have fresh riders fighting for GC, even if it's the result of bad luck for others.
     - Heated fight for green jersey, even if Kittel hadn't abandoned. Matthews made an incredible recovery, winning it in the intermediate sprints.
     - Barguil super strong in the mountains, winning 2 stages, taking the polka dot jersey, and finishing on the top 10. In my opinion, the hero of this Tour.
     - 2 young riders in the top 10, Yates and Meintjes, keeping up with the big boys.
     - Sky team with 2 riders in the top 5, not an easy feat, very rare actually.
     - 5 stages for Kittel, even without sprint train, undoubtedly the current best sprinter in the flat. Would love to see him head to head against Gaviria.
     - Landa very strong, the only one who showed good form after doing the Giro. He really needs to be the leader in a new team.
     - Bardet putting everything on the road to hold the 3rd place for 1 second. Incredible. But he needs to improve his TT skills, otherwise he's never going to win the Tour.
     - AG2R and Sunweb attacking and being very aggressive. Nice to see someone still fights in this race. Most teams were just following along behind Sky.
     - Uran showing he's still a contender. Very good in the climbs and not so bad in the TT. I see him with a chance in the Vuelta (not this year though).
     - Contador givings us a few joys by attacking far away from the finish, even if the legs aren't there anymore. He needs another Vuelta or 1-week races. He's not done yet, but 3 weeks are too much.
     - Many young riders attacking and some winning stages, like Calmejane, Roglic and Groenewegen.
     - More than a few stage wins for the french, Bardet, Barguil, Demare and Calmejane. Nice to see the french riders winning at home. The fans love that.
     - ProConti teams on the break almost every day, especially Wanty and Fortuneo.
     - Loved that 13th stage, with 101km and 3 first-category climbs. We need more of these.

The Bad

- Utterly boring parcours apart from a few exceptions. Those long flat stages were just painful to watch.
     - Not enough mountains to allow GC riders who aren't so good in the TT to recover some time. This Tour was basically decided in the TTs.
     - Quintana off the top 10, proving the Giro-Tour double is really hard to get. He should focus solely in the Tour instead.
     - Pinot totally out of race, and without any help from his team.
     - FDJ losing 5 riders by HD, including Demare. Completely destroyed any chance to win anything.
     - Greipel not winning a stage and breaking his streak. He could've won in Paris, but he's timing was wrong.
     - BMC strategy was all wrong, pulling the peloton in the flat and leaving Porte alone in the climbs (before he abandoned). They could've left other teams to pull and help Porte in the climbs. Maybe he wouldn't have crashed if he had help in that descent. We'll never know.
     - Sky controlling everything as usual, and not letting anyone important leave the favorites group. Good strategy but totally OP, ruining the game.

The Ugly

- Multiple crashes that influenced the outcome and the excitement. Valverde, Porte, Thomas, Majka, Gesink, Izaguirre, Kittel, Demare, Fuglsang, Wellens, just to name a few.
     - The UCI jury changing decisions when confronted by the teams, regardless of being right or wrong (Sagan's DQ and Uran's penaly, for example).
     - Not giving Thomas De Gendt the super combative award, even after winning the public vote by a landslide. He was in 11 breaks out of 19 stages (excluded the TTs), with over 1000km escaped.

The Photos

The Winner

The Hero

The Underdog

The Frenchman

The Sprinter

The Loser

The Saganator

#freelanda

Cant' wait for the Vuelta :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1748
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #134 on: July 25, 2017, 13:06 »

That's the bit of the plan that just doesn't work for me.
    Aside the fact that it assumes something we rarely, if ever see at the Tour, which is cooperation among a group of team leaders.
    Bardet has said it was too far to attack from.
    Dan Martin who hasn't been slow to attack and attack the Sky train too, didn't, until much later. So, safe to say that he couldn't.
    Aru was already fading, so also couldn't.
    Uran was totally intent on following Bardet, presumably in the hope that he would weaken, or do something foolish, such as attack too soon.
    Yates was already yo-yoing.
    So, that just leaves Landa. :D

The fact that Alberto didn't exploit the opportunity should be used as an indicator that everybody already having to dig very deep.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #135 on: July 25, 2017, 22:33 »
    . . .

The Bad

- Utterly boring parcours apart from a few exceptions. Those long flat stages were just painful to watch.

. . . - BMC strategy was all wrong, pulling the peloton in the flat and leaving Porte alone in the climbs (before he abandoned). They could've left other teams to pull and help Porte in the climbs. Maybe he wouldn't have crashed if he had help in that descent. We'll never know.
     . . .

The Ugly

- Multiple crashes that influenced the outcome and the excitement. Valverde, Porte, Thomas, Majka, Gesink, Izaguirre, Kittel, Demare, Fuglsang, Wellens, just to name a few.

. . .

The Photos

. . .
    The Hero

The Underdog

The Frenchman

. . .

The Saganator

#freelanda

Cant' wait for the Vuelta :cool
    Well, sprout, for a junior rider, you've done well here, made some good comments, AFAIC. Of course, in RL, you could have a white beard, like me, I don't know!
    You know, the flat stages? I already nicked them as "Sprint Week" - can't get subtle sarcasm in there better than that - but I heard a GOOD idea today! If they had done the same week - and tossed in a cobbled classic stage on the flats. They were in the same part of the country, FFS! THAT could have been a good thing! (I liked the other tours where cobbles were added, although many did not like them.)

BMC and strategy. I have known of Ochowicz since the 7-11 days. Don't know him personally. I've always thought he was an idiot. Or, as Bugs would have it, "What a marooon!" I have to assume he has some smarts or he wouldn't be where he is. But I guess that doesn't mean you don't have your head where the sun shines, somehow.

Multiple crashes - name a few? :lol you didn't name a few, you named many!  :D  :cool

The photos? Hmmm, you could have swapped out Hero, Underdog and Frenchman and still be on the ok. Loved the saganator and freelanda at the end!

That's the bit of the plan that just doesn't work for me.
    Aside the fact that it assumes something we rarely, if ever see at the Tour, which is cooperation among a group of team leaders.
    Bardet has said it was too far to attack from.
    Dan Martin who hasn't been slow to attack and attack the Sky train too, didn't, until much later. So, safe to say that he couldn't.
    Aru was already fading, so also couldn't.
    Uran was totally intent on following Bardet, presumably in the hope that he would weaken, or do something foolish, such as attack too soon.
    Yates was already yo-yoing.
    So, that just leaves Landa. :D

The fact that Alberto didn't exploit the opportunity should be used as an indicator that everybody already having to dig very deep.

MV - brilliant analysis. Thanks.
  • ReplyReply

• Ram

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 952
    • Awards: Best Opening Post 2012Member you would most like to meet in real life 2012
    « Reply #136 on: July 26, 2017, 05:02 »
    Quote from: Matt Keenan
    Landa drives the peloton causing splits for Froome
    Spoiler (hover to show)
  • ReplyReply

• Flo

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #137 on: July 26, 2017, 19:42 »

Alberto had no reason to attack, the stage win was up front and he wasn't riding for GC anymore. There was no "opportunity" for him.
  • ReplyReply

• latino

• Domestic Rider
    • Saganator
    « Reply #138 on: July 27, 2017, 11:24 »
    Well, sprout, for a junior rider, you've done well here, made some good comments, AFAIC. Of course, in RL, you could have a white beard, like me, I don't know!
    You know, the flat stages? I already nicked them as "Sprint Week" - can't get subtle sarcasm in there better than that - but I heard a GOOD idea today! If they had done the same week - and tossed in a cobbled classic stage on the flats. They were in the same part of the country, FFS! THAT could have been a good thing! (I liked the other tours where cobbles were added, although many did not like them.)

BMC and strategy. I have known of Ochowicz since the 7-11 days. Don't know him personally. I've always thought he was an idiot. Or, as Bugs would have it, "What a marooon!" I have to assume he has some smarts or he wouldn't be where he is. But I guess that doesn't mean you don't have your head where the sun shines, somehow.

Multiple crashes - name a few? :lol you didn't name a few, you named many!  :D  :cool

The photos? Hmmm, you could have swapped out Hero, Underdog and Frenchman and still be on the ok. Loved the saganator and freelanda at the end!
    MV - brilliant analysis. Thanks.

Well thank you very much for the kind words, I am a young sprout, or at least feel like one :D

Cycling has been my favorite sport for as long as I can remember, but I only found this community very recently (I think just before the Dauphine this year).
    This is a great place to share my thoughts on cycling and to learn from others who have the same passion.
    The community here is just incredible, I've tried other ones, but there's no comparison, I feel at home here.

A cobbled classic stage would've been perfect to break up that "Sprint Week" and toss things around (especially with Sagan still in the race).
    We didn't get to see Gilbert, Van Avermaet or Wellens shine, and the cobbles would've been the best "stage" for that.
    And you're right, they rode very close to some cobbled roads, it almost looks like they avoided it on purpose.
    That stage would've been very exciting to watch, especially since we had TV coverage from km 0.

Regarding BMC, I think they relied too much on Porte and had very high expectations, coming from a successful Dauphine.
    They probably thought they were as strong as Sky or other teams, and could control the race, leaving Porte in a good position to fight with the favorites.
    The problem is that the crucial moments weren't on the climbs, but on the descents, where both Sky and AG2R had multiple riders helping their leader.
    BMC didn't adapt to this new way of cycling, where strengths are evenly matched in the mountains, and the winner has to be a more overall rider.
    That's why Froome won, and Uran, Bardet and Landa were so close to him, they were better overall (except Bardet in the TTs).
    In hindsight we'll never know what could've happened, maybe Porte was strong enough to follow along with the others and put 1 min on them in the Izoard.
    Maybe next year we'll find out.

There were a lot more riders that crashed and abandoned, as is usual in the Tour.
    I just named the "few" that in my opinion influenced the outcome by not being in the race :D

I love to do these analysis, I've been doing them on my own before finding this community.
    I like to look at races and find little things that aren't so obvious but interesting to point out.
    But none of my friends even like cycling, they all think it's boring, so I had no one to share this with, until now.
    I'm glad you like it, and that this is one of most active topics on the Tour board.

The photos for me are just the icing on the cake, a picture is worth a thousand words and they actually tell a story.
    I don't think I could've swapped those around, and here's why.

Barguil is the ultimate hero for me, he was the rider who fought the hardest and took the most prizes home (2 stages, polka jersey, top 10 and super combative).
    No other rider won this variety of accomplishments, Froome didn't win a stage, Kittel was never in the top 10, neither was Matthews, Bardet didn't win a jersey, and De Gendt went home empty handed.

Uran was mostly unnoticed until stage 9 where he won against Barguil, in a photo finish, with basically a fixie.
    After that stage people started looking at him and thought "wow, he's actually in the fight for the GC".
    He was 11th before the start and after that brilliant stage with climbs and descents, hanging on with the best, he rose to 4th.
    I'm also guessing he wasn't in any top 10 prediction lists before the Tour, yet finished 2nd, that's why he's the underdog.

I called Bardet the frenchman because he was the most cheered rider, and the most talked about in local media.
    He gave hope to the fans that a french rider could win the Tour, since Hinault in '85, 32 years ago.
    In the final stages, all of France was pulling for Bardet, even with the Barguil show going on, remember that huge AG2R jersey in the stands of the Velodrome? (pic below)
    Regardless of the outcome, Bardet is the face and future of french cycling, finishing in the podium 2 years in a row in the Tour, he's the best hope France has to win a Tour again.

Bardet support

PS: Sorry for the long post :D
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    « Reply #139 on: July 27, 2017, 12:13 »
    latino - never apologise for a long analysis.  It was all good stuff

love your work  :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #140 on: July 27, 2017, 14:51 »
    VR - the forum where people want long posts! ;)
    Personally, I'd much rather read a long, thought-out analysis than a short, sensationalistic one-liner.

Also, we have FtP, so our standard of a 'long post' is a bit different. :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

latino

• Domestic Rider
    • Saganator
    « Reply #141 on: July 28, 2017, 15:07 »

love your work  :D

Thank you :D
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1537
    « Reply #142 on: July 28, 2017, 18:29 »
    Uran was mostly unnoticed until stage 9 where he won against Barguil, in a photo finish, with basically a fixie.
    After that stage people started looking at him and thought "wow, he's actually in the fight for the GC".
    He was 11th before the start and after that brilliant stage with climbs and descents, hanging on with the best, he rose to 4th.
    I'm also guessing he wasn't in any top 10 prediction lists before the Tour, yet finished 2nd, that's why he's the underdog.

One of the reasons (perhaps most important) Uran wasn't on any top 10 prediction lists was #cannondale Cannondale communicating early in the season that he would not ride for GC in any of of the Grand Tours but focus on stages and the Lombardia monument instead.

I still hope he'll go for Lombardia (a race I really like).
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #143 on: July 29, 2017, 02:33 »
    . . .
    This is a great place to share my thoughts on cycling and to learn from others who have the same passion.
    The community here is just incredible, I've tried other ones, but there's no comparison, I feel at home here.

. . .

Uran was mostly unnoticed until stage 9 where he won against Barguil, in a photo finish, with basically a fixie. . . .
    It is a good board. There is a lot of experience in here, even tho the numbers are fewer than other boards. A lot of good brain-power too.

A fixie? Neh. Nope. IT WAS A SINGLE SPEED. Ok, ok, call me mr nitty the nitpicker ;). It doesn't take away from what he did - which was absolutely incredible. But it wasn't a fixie.

. . .

Also, we have FtP, so our standard of a 'long post' is a bit different. :lol

:lol :lol    --- I spewed coffee all over my clean clothes at that one!
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: Race news 2018 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:35]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:21]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:12]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 05:25]

Re: Retirement announcements by search
    [November 16, 2017, 08:13]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2017, 20:35]