collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1316
[1.1] GP Jean-Pierre Monseré
« on: July 09, 2017, 15:49 »
I was glad to see that the race named after my favourite historical rider has been promoted to 1.1 status. Though as I said in the Slag om Norg thread, what worth is a 1.1 race in 2017 compared to 2016 after several .HC races have been promoted to the WT.

Anyway, yesterday was the GP Jean-Pierre Monseré held.  :)

Let me humbly share my Jempi Monseré profile, here.

A more recent anecdote. I'm currently working for a takeaway food delivery company. One day a colleague of mine had to call a restaurant to deliver a dish at the Jean-Pierre Monseréstraat. After the end of his call I asked him to repeat the name of the street and he confirmed that it was the Jean-Pierre Monseréstraat. I was baffled that Jempi had a street named after him. I asked my colleague the name of the town and he told me that it was Roeselaere. I told him it was logical, it's his town after telling him that Monseré was a former cycling rider, World Champion in 1970 who got killed in a kermess with the World Champion jersey on. My colleague is not really interested in cycling but it stroke him that he had a French name. I told him that his biographer whose book I have [Mark Van Hamme in "Jean-Pierre Monseré : Voor altijd 22", Roularta 2010] made some genealogical research on his family and noticed that the first Monseré born in Flanders was born in 1789 and concluded that he might have wome from a French Catholic family expelled from France at the outbreak of the French Revolution.

The 2017 edition of the race started from beautiful Ypres and finished in Roeselaere. There were no real difficulties but the ascent of Mount Kemmel at km 93 (202km altogether).

Three last editions:

2014 : 1. Guillaume Van Keirsbulck - 2. Mathieu Van der Poel - 3. Iljo Keisse
2015 : 1. Jurgen Roelandts - 2. Jérôme Baugnies - 3. Danny Van Poppel
2016 : 1. Lars Boom - 2. Steijn Steels - 3. Timothy Dupont

Start List:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/pdf/startlist.php?id=173542
- Sport Vlaanderen - Baloise (Preben Van Hecke, Stijn Steels, Edward planckaert)
- Vérandas Willems-Crelan (Dries De Bondt, Stan Godrie, Stijn Devolder)
- Wanty - Groupe Gobert (Jérôme Baugnies, Kenny Dehaes, Robin Stenuit, while Xandro Meurisse was on the start list but not at the start)
- WB Veranclassic Aqua Protect (Roy Jans, Maxime Vantomme, Kevin Ista, Deruette)
- Roompot - Nederlandse Loterij (Raymond Kreder, Taco Van der Horn, Jeroen Meijers)
- AGO-Aqua Service (Gordon De Winter)
- Cibel - Cebon (Joeri Stallaert, De Jonghe, Dieleman)
- Era - Circus (Yorben Van Tichelt, Laurens Sweeck)
- IsoWhey Sports SwissWellness team (Sunderland, Van Der Ploeg, Krome)
- Leopard Pro Cycling (Krieger, Nömmela, Rekita)
- Marlux - Napoleon Games (Kevin Pauwels)
- Massi - Kuwait Cycling Project (Kevin Sepulveda)
- Nice Pro Cycling Team (first announced but was not at the start)
- Pauwels sauzen - Vastgoedservice Continental Team (Timothy Stevens, Livyns, Barry Markus)
- Roubaix Lille Métropole (Leveau, Vermeulen, Calleuw)
- Start - Vaxes Cycling Team (Pita, Afewerki, Aular)
- T.Palm - Pole Continental Wallon (Picoux)
- Tarteletto - Isorex (Mannaerts)
- Team Differdange - Losch
- Dauner D&DQ-Akkon
- Drapac Pat's Veg Holistic Development Team (Monk, Theodore Yares)

In the final lap there was a 21-man breakaway with cyclocrosser Laurens Sweeck among them. He attacked with 4km to go while his former breakaway mates were caught by the peloton and he won.  :) :cool

------------------

The GP Jean-Pierre Monseré Wants to Attract World Tour Teams

World Tour Teams were absent from the GP Monseré this year which raises controversy.

Rino Vandromme, the organiser, says:
I know that people say the field was not strong but still it was a high level race with a nice winner. It's not because you do not have any World Tour teams at the start that the race is not worthy of the 1.1 category
The organiser seems sure that the race will keep that status next year.

Nonetheless the organiser deplores the Quick Step last minute withdrawal. He said it was sad because they committed themselves to come but he understands that there's the Tour of France and that the other riders have a training session. It's been hard to handle that. He would like to have LottoNL-Jumbo, Quick Step-Floors & Lotto-Soudal next year in Ypres but in order to do that he needs to find some other dates. He thinks that a 1.1 race should have the first-tier teams of its country. However he thinks that the race was offensive and it should have been enjoyable for the viewers. 

Lire la suite : http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/59424/le-gp-monsere-veut-attirer-les-worldtour
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Latest Roadbooks

Recent Posts

Re: Race news 2018 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:35]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:21]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:12]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 05:25]

Re: Retirement announcements by search
    [November 16, 2017, 08:13]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2017, 20:35]