• Liked: 1320
  • Something about Danish cycling I love
Stage 14: Blagnac to Rodez, 181.5km
« on: July 13, 2017, 14:18 »
Stage 14
Blagnac to Rodez
181.1km

Words of the day are TRANSITION, ROLLING and PUNCHEUR

The route takes the riders across the Occitane region to the foot of the Massif Centrale. There's only two Cat 3 climbs to tackle at 131km and 145km, but don't let that fool you. There's a whole host of uncategorised ones including one at 15km from the finish. This might look like a gradual uphill stage, but these are roads are twisty and up and down all day long. Leg sapping and perfect breakaway territory for those with the energy - the fight will be FIERCE people. Or would be if it wasn't for the Cote Saint Pierre (570m @ 9.6% average) uphill finish waiting in Rodez. My guess is the we'll see the same as we saw in 2015 if the right people don't make the break  (see below)

helter skelter descents

Found this image from CentrePresse.fr article here

The average % gradient hides those stinging double digit sections, and the fact it varies much more than the Mur de Bretagne for example.

Last time a TDF stage finished here, the brave breakaway was swept up in the finale and Greg van Avermaet beat Peter Sagan to the victory... Here's your recap.

Not sure yet who to go for. It would suit #quickstep Dan Martin but he may be too GC orientated, so I'm tempted by his teammate Philippe Gilbert. Of course the 2015 victor #bmc GVA could repeat his feat.  #trek John Degenkolb might fancy a try as will on form #didata Eddy BH. We'll surely see #sunweb Michael Matthews up to grab more points, and his team probably made to do most of the work.  I'll also be looking for #orica Jens Keukelaire and #astana Michael Valgren (if he's allowed off team leader duty - probably not). List is endless really, *adds*  #uae Ben Swift and #bahrain Colbrelli

One thing is for sure, as well as an exciting finish it's going to a gorgeous day for scenery especially as they roll through Tarn. I love this one from the Le Tour website on La Coulée de Lave de Roquelaure

Weather: If it's a hot day, it's only going to get hotter and drier the closer to Rodez the peloton get. Probably not going to get the crosswind excitement Sagan and Froome provided last year though.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:24 by Not My Circus »

Slapshot

• Neo Pro
    • Liked: 290
    Re: Stage 14: Blagnac to Rodez, 181.5km
    « Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 17:10 »
    Sooooo hacked off about this stage and not getting to France this year.....our friends live 4km from the stage start in Cornebarrieu, I even know the best pubs through Seihl and Grenade to watch from :( :(

Most of my favourite wines come from the area around the first half of the stage through Grenade towards Fronton on towards Gailliac and Senoulliac.... gutted
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3454
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 13:02 »
    this is the stage made for Phil. 

(and unfortunately also for GVA, Matthews and a few others too .... )

the fight to get into the break will be intense .... and if those guys dont get in, expect the break to be chased down
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 10:26 »
    Just seen on Inner Ring that  #direct Lilian Calmejane is *local rider of the day*...could another French win be on the cards #AllezLilian
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9061
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 10:47 »
    and it's Ulissi's birthday :beer.

Could be a good finish for him as well
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1614
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 11:13 »
     A lot of the stage will be raced with a straight crosswinds and it should be fairly exposed in places.

But will les rafales be sufficient?
  • ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 736
    « Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 17:03 »
    Holy wow. Again we upset the yellow, with Froome doing something right tactically. On a stage where I would not expect ANY GC changes. Still, the top 5 are very close, and the Alps remain.
  • ReplyReply
  • Ubi est ignis

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 4876
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 17:54 »

Sunweb and BMC were the main workers in the peloton, so it's no surprise they got first and second on the stage. GVA definitely isn't on the same form we've gotten used to over the past couple of years, but it's still a big win for Matthews.

While yesterday it was Froome's very visible teammate making the headlines, today it was Aru and his very invisible team that will be getting all the heat on forums and twitter. Going by the results he only had Valgren and Zeits in the finale, but even so he should be doing better than that.

https://twitter.com/BPredict/status/886265890332958720

I wonder what he said....
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3454
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 01:47 »
     :o :o :o :o :o

MV :  did he lose the jersey

interviewer : yeah.  Froome has it now

MV : oh.  good.

:o   :o    :o    :o
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 05:02 »
    Valgren...
    Blimey, never a Tour without some drama from the team in turquoise.
    Gotta hand it to him that was a bold statement. Def honest, def bold, prob unwise
    Still, get a microphone in your face after that finish and any frustrations will likely be aired.
    His post race tweets were err - ill advised :S. I'm not sure how anyone could have misconstrued what he said and he shouldn't have apologised. Aru couldn't keep wheels today no matter which team they belonged to - and he paid for it.

Not having yellow is no bad thing with the stages coming, but he's going to have to take a hell of a lot of time - on his own. Advantage very much back with Sky. I see Bardet lost 5secs as well while Uran and Dan M were right where they needed to be

Astana Team...
    Yes they're weak compared with others. But this is not the team they would have sent if they'd targeted this race with Aru in the first place. This is not A team Astana. Basically this is Fuglsang's team, with (if I've remembered correctly) Zeits and Cataldo drafted in after the Giro. Nothing to do about that, it's the hand they were dealt.

They've Cataldo and Fuglsang out, Lutsenko injured, Kozhatayev sick... no one in the mountains, goodness knows who is road captain, and lacked someone with any kind of classics nous today. It was always going to be an uphill struggle without the sick and injured.

Having said that they do HAVE a team and one that is capable of at least insuring Aru is on the right wheel even if they can't stay there with him. If they (and I include all the team not just the riders) didn't know how tricky this finale was then it's a poor do all round. Of course there is always the possibility the team are not functioning well as a unit - but that's a whole other speculative post entirely.

I really don't know, poor positioning by the team, inability to fight for the wheels himself once he was isolated, bad team work, a finish that doesn't suit him, a combination of all. Maybe Aru needs to ride the Ardennes or Flanders more often.

I also really don't know why the heck I'm defending Astana ... these are strange times  :o :o :o
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:48 by Not My Circus »

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner