collapse

Echoes

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1144
Tim Wellens Has Heat Allergy But Refuses TUE
« on: July 16, 2017, 14:58 »
http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/280069/wellens-kampt-met-warmteallergie-maar-weigert-attest.html

Tim Wellens was dead last last Friday. It wasn't the first time that the Lotto-Soudal rider was in trouble in this Tour of France. The Lotto-Soudal rider is struggling with heat allergy and thereby cannot optimally performed.

His coach Paul Van den Bosch [famous for his long and fruitful collaboration with cyclocross great Sven Nys] says on Radio 1:
He's got the consequences of it if it's too hot. In this Tour of France Tim has already had it too often. We had hoped that his body could have adapted to it with among other things trainings in Monaco but this did not prevail. There are factors in play that Tim has no grip on.

With a TUE (Therapeutic Use Exemption), an authorisation with cortisone-based treatment, it could be worked upon. Tim decided on his own accord not to make use of it. He is a rider who stands for a pure sport. He wants to perform at best without TUE. He chose to rather not use such exception than to perform with it in the Tour of France. That is some wonderful attitude by Tim.

This choice actually has consequences for the rest of his career. At the Tour of France, it's actually often hot.
We hope that it can rain in a near future. Then all of a sudden, you might see another Tim Wellens because the condition is there. He's got nice values but those cannot be exploited. It could be that Tim should rather focus on the spring classics, the Tour of Italy and year-end races.

AG was right to consider me a Tim Wellens fanboy. I'm proud of it.  ;) :)

PS as edit: On second thought this news might not need starting a new thread. Mods if you neither think so feel free to move it to an appropriate thread such as "Lotto News" or any other.  ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3458
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    I do like Tim Wellens - and although it might not help his career much, it does garner much respect from me.
  • ReplyReply

•