collapse

search

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 9252
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
TDF2017 Rest Day #2 round-up
« on: July 17, 2017, 09:20 »
Let's just go for a collective round-up again... so here are some numbers to kick it off:

#yellow Classement général individuel au temps                  

RANK TEAM NAME TIME
1.      #sky      FROOME Christopher      
2.      #astana      ARU Fabio      +00'18''
3.      #ag2r      BARDET Romain      +00'23''
4.      #cannondale      URAN Rigoberto      +00'29''
5.      #quickstep      MARTIN Daniel      +01'12''
6.      #sky      LANDA Mikel      +01'17''
7.      #orica      YATES Simon      +02'02''
8.      #uae      MEINTJES Louis      +05'09''
9.      #trek      CONTADOR Alberto      +05'37''
10.      #bmc      CARUSO Damiano      +06'05''

Seven guys within two minues... looks open. But I guess it's the wrong guy in front. At this point of the race someone (Valverde?!) would have needed to have a 2 minutes lead to make things exciting. But one can still hope... Uran looks formidable.

#green Classement général individuel par points                  

RANK TEAM NAME POINTS
1.      #quickstep      KITTEL Marcel      373 pts
2.      #sunweb      MATTHEWS Michael      294 pts
3.      #lotto      GREIPEL André      187 pts
4.      #katusha      KRISTOFF Alexander      158 pts
5.      #bahrain      COLBRELLI Sonny      128 pts
6.      #dimension      BOASSON HAGEN Edvald      115 pts
7.      #jumbo      GROENEWEGEN Dylan      94 pts
8.      #quickstep      MARTIN Daniel      89 pts
9.      #sky      FROOME Christopher      86 pts
10.      #astana      ARU Fabio      78 pts

Kittel has quite a healthy advantage. Matthews still looks eager, but he probably can only make that up if he makes it into the (winning) break both tomorrow and on stage #19 - and Kittel doesn't

#kom Classement général du meilleur grimpeur                  

RANK TEAM NAME POINTS
1.      #sunweb      BARGUIL WARREN      116 pts
2.      #jumbo      ROGLIC Primoz      38 pts
3.      #lotto      DE GENDT Thomas      36 pts
4.      #sky      LANDA Mikel      33 pts
5.      #ag2r      VUILLERMOZ Alexis      28 pts
6.      #sky      FROOME Christopher      25 pts
7.      #quickstep      MARTIN Daniel      23 pts
8.      #astana      ARU Fabio      22 pts
9.      #trek      CONTADOR Alberto      22 pts
10.      #dimension      CUMMINGS Stephen      20 pts

done and dusted. Only 116 points are still on the table

#white Classement général des jeunes                  

RANK TEAM NAME TIME
1.      #orica      YATES Simon      
2.      #uae      MEINTJES Louis      +03'07''
3.      #ag2r      LATOUR Pierre      +11'39''
4.      #bora      BUCHMANN Emanuel      +17'35''
5.      #wanty      MARTIN Guillaume      +25'26''
6.      #lotto      BENOOT Tiesj      +28'08''
7.      #direct      CALMEJANE Lilian      +53'22''
8.      #astana      VALGREN ANDERSEN Michael      +01h 37'18''
9.      #cannondale      BETTIOL Alberto      +01h 42'20''
10.      #bmc      KÜNG Stefan      +01h 48'09''

this looks like a done deal as well, especially as Meintjes currently looks unlikely to ever leave the last position in the favourites' group.

Classement général par équipes                  

RANK TEAM TIME
1.      #sky      TEAM SKY      
2.      #ag2r      AG2R LA MONDIALE      +09'52''
3.      #trek      TREK - SEGAFREDO      +01h 01'18''
4.      #bmc      BMC RACING TEAM      +01h 10'50''
5.      #movistar      MOVISTAR TEAM      +01h 11'40''
6.      #cannondale      CANNONDALE DRAPAC PROFESSIONAL CYCLING TEAM      +01h 30'21''
7.      #astana      ASTANA PRO TEAM      +01h 40'24''
8.      #orica      ORICA - SCOTT      +01h 40'50''
9.      #fortuneo      TEAM FORTUNEO - OSCARO      +01h 46'54''
10.      #fdj      LOTTO SOUDAL      +02h 01'17''

Ag2R reduced the gap to Sky by 10 minutes yesterday, and I guess they may take the lead tomorrow. Should be close on the mountains then, currently I'd think Sky will have the upper hand
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6055
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: TDF2017 Rest Day #2 round-up
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:59 »
    Meintjes currently looks unlikely to ever leave the last position in the favourites' group.
    :lol
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5180
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 12:09 »
    Is all this blocking of the road by sprint and GC teams to limit the size of a break more prevalent than usual this year?

I know we are seeing more of it due to the crazy decision to broadcast every single second of each stage, but on the occasions we have seen all of a stage before it never seemed this bad. Not that going in a break on one of the numerous flat stages is an attractive prospect.....
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1108
    « Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 12:56 »
    What I don't understand is why it doesn't happen in reverse. I.e. why don't the teams that want a break to get away flood the front and prevent the other teams from controlling who gets into the break?

Also (thought #2) if the number in the break is too small, dooming it to failure, why doesn't it sit 30 secs up the road and wait for reinforcements?
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 834
    « Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 15:51 »
    . . .
    Ag2R reduced the gap to Sky by 10 minutes yesterday, and I guess they may take the lead tomorrow. Should be close on the mountains then, currently I'd think Sky will have the upper hand

It is possible, and it is my hope, that AG2R's effort on Sunday took enough out of Sky's legs to even the odds a bit. They certainly made them work for the day - matches burnt.
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

Slow Rider

• Classics Winner
    • Liked: 2466
    « Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 16:51 »
    especially as Meintjes currently looks unlikely to ever leave the last position in the favourites' group.

That thing always hanging at the back of the group is a cyclist? I thought the favourites just had a particularly bad hemorrhoid they couldn't shake off.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1472
    « Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 23:15 »

this looks like a done deal as well, especially as Meintjes currently looks unlikely to ever leave the last position in the favourites' group.

:D The world has been waiting for this moment since #trek Haimar Zubeldia's first start in the Tour. Now his true heir is crowned, and he is ready to resign. All hail the new king of "oops, is he still there?"

Some more serious thougths amidst packing my bags for vacation:
    In the end, I'll be surprised if #yellow Froome doesn't take this home and even more surprised if #tdfsky Sky doesn't win. There are a couple of challenging stages ahead, and Froome does not seem to be the strongest climber, so it's wednesday or thursday, he needs to loose a minute or two to make this interesting. This doesn't count if he looses to #tdfsky Landa, but if someone else is with Landa (for example, #astana Aru) things can get interesting. The other GC candidates at this stage are good climbers (but Landa seems to be the best) so all the "everything else" seems to be in favor Froome.

What if....the wind starts to blow, for example? Well, in that case, he'll whistle for his horses, Christian Knees, Luke Rowe, Vasil Kiriyenka, Mihail Kwiatkowski and ride off into the sunset on the first wagon. The other teams don't bring this quality in the roleur department, although Oliver Naesen and a few Astana riders can match the general level. Also there are the teams, which is advantage Sky and then there are the riders, none of the other GC candidates can match Froome on the flatlands.Aru will probably get lost and Bardet too. (He was hopeless on stage 1 Paris-Nice.

This applies to the time trial too. Clear advantage Froome.

The exception to the above is #cannondale Rigoberto Uran. He is the only one strong enough on the flats that he may be able to keep up with Froome and team Sky. He does not have to push in the mountains yet he seems capable of following the moves. If he rides a time trial like he did in the giro in 2014 he is in virtual 2nd place today already cause I don't think Aru and Bardet has that capacity.

Other outside force is #quickstep Dan Martin but even if he makes up 30 secs on all mountain stages, it just won't be enough for the yellow in Paris. He could make the podium if Aru and/or Bardet risk everything and fail.

I think the pressure for podium is hardest for Froome and Bardet at the moment, so I don't expect them to take huge risks. #astana planned to send Fuglsang to the Tour with their B-team and I don't think they are putting much pressure on Aru now that he inherited the team he didn't pick for his Giro bid (which never was to be anyway). Basically, he is racing with what remains of Fuglsang's team and I think he'll be willing to take huge risks if he has the legs for it. He won't get much support in the mountains even if he races more conservatively so he might as well give it a balls-to-the-walls attempt, tuesday or wednesday. When and if that happens, Landa will follow and as he seems to be the best climber at the moment, he might actually get yellow while trying to defend it for Froome.

• ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9252
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 23:24 »
    Landa said he'd follow whenever Contador attacks. So let's hope Bertie will have a strong last week... :cool

and to be fair in regards of Astana's B-Team: it would probably look a lot better with Kangert in there, who was scheduled to race before breaking all kind of bones in the Giro
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3500
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 01:45 »
    and in fairness to Astana, with Cataldo out as well it does make it tougher.  They did have some decent help for Aru/Fuglsang ... it just hasnt worked out for them.

AG2R was very good on the last stage, but on flatlands in the wind may not be so great.

I do expect Lotto Soudall (for the stage win with Gallopin etc) to push the pace in the wind. 

I wonder too whether Quickstep will try.  They may to support Dan Martin in GC ... try and get rid of Aru/Bardet etc and have him on the podium ... but they have to consider whether that will mean that Kittel gets dropped and Matthews gets points and gets back into the game for Green.   It will be interesting to see if they go for it
  • ReplyReply

•