collapse

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1418
  • Something about Danish cycling I love
Stage 16
Le Puy-en-Velay to Romans-sur-Isère
165km

Having spent the rest day in the mountain city of Le Puy, the riders set out to tackle a stage quite similar in nature to the ones on Sat and Sunday. Rolling and hilly with twisting and turning roads which make for perfect ambush territory, and there will always be some in the peloton with rest day legs that won't quite get up to speed.

The route starts out climbing the first of two categorised climbs the Cote de Boussoulet (Cat 3) which summits at 20km and we should see the break of the day snap the elastic here. This is followed by 45km of spectacular jiggity-jaggity through volcanic outcrops and green pastures en route to the Cat 4 Col de Rouvey. From here they swoop down towards Chantermerle-Les-Bles for the intermediate sprint point at 121.5km. The heli-shots on this descent will be spectacular with views right tout across the Rhône  valley,. One other point to note is that the descent is sharp and tricky in places. Expect to see a brown bibbed #ag2r attack lining it out at the front. Do not expect to see  #astana Fabio Aru get caught out, he used this descent to claim a victory in the Dauphine 2016.

(Aru's move at 2:09)

The intermediate sprint is on a rise in the road and I imagine  #sunweb Sunweb will try either to put Michael Matthews in the break or set a fierce tempo to get rid of Kittel on the climbs before they get to this point.

The run to the finish at Romans-sur-Isère is along the flattish roads of the Rhône valley - and that means they could be battling the wind. It may not be enough tocause havoc but will make for very nervous GC guys. They'll all want to be

AT THE FRONT

and probably only Sky will be  :lol

There's a slight chance the break will make it, depending on it's makeup. But I expect this to comedown to a sprint finish...

Corners and roundabouts and narrowing roads will make the finish quite tricky. They'll hurtle downhill, across the river and under the flamme rouge. Get around two roundabouts before  they start to climb to the finish. the road sweeps left and there's a final roundabout in the last 250m before a straight uphill run to the line.

The TDF has never visited Romans-sur-Isère before, but Paris Nice has finished in the town twice. Once in 1962 when Rudi Altig took the win, and again last year when Nacer Bouhanni showed a clean pair of heels to  #trek Theuns,  #lotto Greipel,  #katusha Kristoff,  #uae Swift and a trip to yellow jersey podium.  #sunweb Kittel didn't feature in the finish that day, but there was a climb much closer to the finish.

It's been categorised as a HILLY stage so 30 points max on the line.NOW CLARIFIED IT'S 50 POINTS AT THE LINE PEOPLE!!!!! Look for your usual fast suspects. If Kittel survives it'll be an interesting maillot vert battle between these two.

#quickstep      #sunweb

#jumbo Groenewegen, #didata EBH #trek Degenkolb,  #lotto Greipel,  #cofidis Bouhanni #bahrain Colbrelli,  #uae Swift  #katusha Kristoff...

My prediction?
If Marcel is there, it'll be win no 6
If Marcel is dropped or the other teams come up with anti-Kittel tactic I rather fancy Bouhanni \o/

Which of course means it'll probably be  #sky Kwiatkowski, I mean he does everything else  :lol

LOCAL RIDERS TODAY
#ag2r Pierre Latour was born and still lives in the finish town. Teammate Axel Domont comes from Valences

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:22 by Not My Circus »

spokenspin

• Sunday Rider
    • Liked: 4
    "It's been categorised as a HILLY stage so 30 points max on the line."
    Are you sure? I read that it's Flat stage: 50 pts.
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9241
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    "It's been categorised as a HILLY stage so 30 points max on the line."
    Are you sure? I read that it's Flat stage: 50 pts.

30 is correct

• ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    UPDATE

ECHELONS EXPECTED I repeat ECHELONS EXPECTED

https://twitter.com/nedboulting/status/887000016447053826
  • ReplyReply

• Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 711
    I think this stage could be quite interesting.

Giant will probably push the pace early to get rid of Kittel in the hope of cutting the green jersey lead by another 50 points on the day.

There is an awful lot of downhill after the cat 4 for AG2R to try and put Froome and the other GC guys into trouble and once they get to the flattish part there will be a strong wind that looks like it will vary between tail, cross tail and cross head as the race wiggle its way to the finish.
  • ReplyReply

• t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1464
    WOOOHOO....I love windy stages except now I think it is BOOOOooo as the other GC teams won't be able to follow Sky in the echelons: Kiryenka, Knees, Rowe, Kwiatkowski + Froome himself, only the sprint teams can match them. :(
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3498
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    maybe Dan Martin can get some time     :D
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 827
    I think this stage could be quite interesting.

Giant will probably push the pace early . . .

Who?
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

Carlo Algatrensig

• Domestique
    • Liked: 711

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1716
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
     I've been keeping my eye on the wind for about a week now.
    Ever since I read gusts of 60kph when the get down to the Rhone.
    It looks to be a tailwind for the final kms of run in, so expect a very fast finish.
    The is a short section before of a few kms, on small roads, that appears to have a crosswind.
    It could all happen there, it could happen earlier, or nothing could happen. :D

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    Phil Gil joins the list of DNS :(
    Let's hope the viral gastrenteritis hasn't spread #NOOOOOO

https://twitter.com/quickstepteam/status/887231951542857728
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampReigning Autumn Classics Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    it already has. Kittel was first to be sick over the weekend (apparently recovered now), Stybar and Gilbert showed the same syndromes yesterday then
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    30 is correct

I asked ASO for clarification as they mention full points in their stage preview as well - and I indeed got the confirmation that 50+20 points are available today. So apparently the official rulebook is wrong...
  • ReplyReply

• latino

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 126
    • Saganator
    I asked ASO for clarification as they mention full points in their stage preview as well - and I indeed got the confirmation that 50+20 points are available today. So apparently the official rulebook is wrong...

Interesting, so this is almost considered a flat stage.
    Let's see if Kittel takes another win.
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:38 by latino »

Not My Circus

• Road Captain

Thanks Search,

I thinkI checked it out on our Green Jeresy post, soit must have been around for a while. I'll update the post :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6029
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    :fp
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1464
    uhm complete radio silence from me as I was watching the stage recorded tonight. I don't think I have used the fast-forward button so little on a recorded stage in a long while, but there was an hour after the initial attack and until #green Groupe Kittel dropped their pursuit where nothing much really happened or changed. Apart from that, there was something going on all the way, lots of small tactical details to notice.
    The requested crosswinds showed up more or less on schedule and helped to maintain the original split in the field and then decide who got to sprint in the final. It showed that #tdfsky Froome could not be dropped in the xwinds, but to my surprise the other of the top 4 made it safely back to dry land. I am not so surprised about #cannondale Uran, but #ag2r Bardet and #astana Aru have taken some steps since I last saw them play this game. #quickstep Dan Martin and #uae Luis Meintjes have not - and #trek Trek clearly showed their prioritization now is towards stage wins, as Contador was dropped but Degenkolb continued.

Speaking about Trek and stage wins, they may have a better chance on the Friday stage as Matthews will be racing without his eyewear?

The ever revolving paper-scissor-stone game amongst the sprinters continue to fascinate as this time we saw #quickstep Kittel defeated the way Kittel has to be defeated, #sunweb Sunweb took responsibility for dropping him on the first climb.
    Other notable drop-outs included #jumbo Groenewegen (tired?), and then #katusha Kristoff and #lotto Greipel in crosswinds in the final. With Kristoff gone, this time it was #bmc Greg van Avermaet taking over his role as the guy who goes early and hopes he prevails, but fails. #sunweb Matthews appeared as #fdj Arnaud Demare in this edition and we saw #didata Edvald Boasson Hagen with a superior accelration, reminiscent of the dropped Germans further back.

When dominant sprinters are dropped, it seems like the same roles get handed out once again.

Pity for #cofidis  Bouhanni who left the Kittel group with a teammate mid-race and managed to do what Kittel could not: bridge to the main group up ahead. He seems to be improving in terms of form and may well get a stage win before everything's over. Still two stages to contest for these guys. 

and ps: I still love watching crosswind stages.
  • ReplyReply

•