collapse

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 5005
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Re: [2.HC] Tour of Utah
« on: July 26, 2017, 07:59 »
I just took a look at the Colorado Classic course. Gag me. Typical American stage race design from 1970. Boring. Really boring. Maybe all the WT teams should regard this like the Euro post GT crits - as a necessary PR thing - but not real important for anything else.

I think the organizers have looked at what happened to the US Pro and have decided to try doing things a bit differently (ie. cheaper). The buzz words on the website are sustainability and fan-friendly.

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=bc4bffd17f1231309d708beae&id=e8d166248b

Racing events have often met with financial challenges in this country, despite great support for the sport and for the events themselves. RPM Events Group’s approach is designed to leverage the sport’s enthusiastic following, including the growing mass-participation craze, while keeping costs from outpacing revenue.

“We are shifting our thinking away from week-long stage races to a hub and series concept to contain costs, open up new revenue streams and create exciting and engaging community events,” said RPM Events Group CEO David Koff. “While the format is different, we are deeply indebted to and respectful of the previous efforts in Colorado and Virginia and hope to build on their success.”

“This is about more than developing a couple of bike races. This is about creating sports and entertainment properties that are not only memorable for the spectators, but valuable to the host cities and sponsors, and sustainable into the future,”

So circuits, hub design, music festival etc etc

We'll see how it goes anyway. Sure they could have done with another tougher day as realistically only stage two can produce gaps and it might even come down to bonuses, but I've been told small GC gaps are more exciting, right ? ;)
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Latest Roadbooks