collapse

LukasCPH

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 5910
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Tour de Pologne
« on: July 29, 2017, 09:52 »
By the way I'm very interested in this Polish national team. It seems like this trend is getting back. Probably the team mainly consists of young prospects or are there experienced pros in it? I didn't realise that at the Elfstedenronde there was a Dutch national team beside the Belgian one but no real stars were in, with all respect to these riders.
A Polish national team has been invited to the race ever since 2005, when it was elevated to ProTour status. Since there were no Polish pro teams and (back then) not that many Polish pro riders either, this was seen as a way to ensure some local participation.
The riders were and are picked among the Poles racing on Continental level - and the average often is quite high, actually: 28.9 years this year. Now 36-year old Marek Rutkiewicz (with Cofidis in the early 2000s, then disappeared to Poland when he was suspected of doping) is a mainstay of the team and has been selected most years (except when he rode for PCT #ccc). The youngest rider selected this year is 25-year old Paweł Franczak.

So this national team is less of a "give the young talents some WT experience" and more of a "give the old geezers who aren't good enough to be pro a season highlight". ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

Race Calendar

Today's Events

Upcoming Events

Latest Roadbooks