collapse

LukasCPH

• World Champion
  • Liked: 6066
    • lukascph.media
  • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
Re: Stage 16: Circuito de Navarra › Logroño
« on: September 05, 2017, 18:00 »
So, Froome won another GT time trial, taking half a minute on Kelderman, a minute on Nibali, and way more than that on anyone else.

Nibali looks content just following Froome and maybe taking a few seconds here and there, but I don't see that getting him the two minutes he now needs to make up.
Kelderman is more than busy trying to defend his podium spot (and I think he'll still lose it), and in my opinion isn't anywhere near able to challenge Froome.
Zakarin doesn't look likely to gain more time than Nibali, so while he may challenge for a podium place, Froome is simply out of reach.
Contador rides his last-ever GT with lots of panache - but five minutes? That would take some extraordinary things. And not just on one stage, but on several. He might be able to do it (if we're generous), but he's running out of opportunities.
Superman is doing great, but he's just so far down by now. He can take time on Froome on every of the remaining mountain stages - but like Contador, he's running out of opportunities. There simply aren't that many mountain stages left, he'd need to take 2+ minutes on each and every one of them.
Everyone from Aru and down is just not on the same rung of the ladder.

In short: This Vuelta is Froome's to lose.
That said, so was last year's Vuelta after two weeks, and then Formigal happened. Never say never.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith