collapse

hiero

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 879
Stage 18: Suances --> Santo Toribio de Liébana
« on: September 06, 2017, 18:29 »
Whoops! Nobody has done Stage 18?

THIS DAY WILL BE BIG. Well, MAY be big. I think it will be. It is only a medium mountian stage, but it is filled with fatiguing lumps to sap what energy is left in the legs. And, after yesterday, los Machucos, this day will see major attacks. THIS is the day we could see a repeat of Froomigal.

The first half of the race sees the peloton cruising around the coastal plains of Cantabria, with the typical sharp ups and downs that typify coastal areas that are next to mountain ranges. These lumps should sap any riders who are close to the edge of fatigue. A little over halfway through, and the peloton will hit the coastal mountains of the Cantabrian range. There are three cat 3 climbs and descents, back to back, with a short break, and then the final cat 3 climb to the Monastery of Santo Toribio de Liébana.

It will be the fatigue that makes this stage a special opportunity. The fatigue, and four climbs, nearly back to back, that will present an opportunity should there be any weakness shown.

Puertos y altos Suances / Santo Toribio de Liébana 169KM

Km 109.5 - Collada de Carmona.4.8 km de subida a 7.2% - categoría 3
Km 126.0 - Collada de Ozalba6 km de subida a 6.6% - categoría 3
Km 139.7 - Collada de la Hoz7 km de subida a 6% - categoría 2
Km 169.0 - Alto de Santo Toribio de Liébana3.2 km de subida a 6.4% - categoría

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 20:51 by hiero, Reason: correct spelling »
    Eeyore sez . . .

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 9471
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    same combination of climbs as in 2012

Another Funte Dé is probably a bit much too ask for, but who knows... Contador, Nibali and others will try, I guess, and even if they can "only" gain a bit of time on the final climb, it should spice things up nicely for the coming days
  • ReplyReply
  • "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

hiero

• Road Captain
    I just went and checked the roadways - I don't see anything that looks particularly selective. Pretty open approach to the first puerto, Collada de Carmona. The 2nd and 3rd may see some selections made. The roads are still good, but there are some pinch points and turns that may see riders jostling for position.

• ReplyReply

• Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1748
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    The final km of climbing looks pretty selective. Good for taking seconds, if not minutes.

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Member of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    the finish was often used in the Circuito Montañés, with winners like Gesink, Mollema and Pardilla, but I couldn't find any kind of proper video unfortunately
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1510
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    the finish was often used in the Circuito Montañés, with winners like Gesink, Mollema and Pardilla, but I couldn't find any kind of proper video unfortunately

And #bmc Tejay VG in 2009
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    And #bmc Tejay VG in 2009

he was beaten by Pardilla, wasn't he?!

• ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    I didn't get to watch the race yesterday - got called to work. But I watched a recording last night. Could you tell I was a bit excited over yesterday's results when I wrote the preview?

On watching the whole race, I am less certain that any significant action will happen today. The weakness yesterday was Froome. Sky, as a team, were strong. I think the team will be strong today, as well, and will keep Froome tucked inside the SkyTrain. Which will mean the attacks will likely be good for seconds, not minutes, on the final ramp, as MV spoke of.

Well, we will see, very shortly!
  • ReplyReply

• killswitch

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1056
    Joelsim: The huge winner today - Landa.
    just some guy: Aye he marginal gained the flip out of it

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1537
    I finally finished the last 60 km of the stage (I watch recordings at night due to work),,,

For a while it looked like it was going to be crazy, but then it became apparent that #sky was stronger than all the other squads and Froome couldn't be isolated. #bahrain appeared to have the kind of day when they decided not to try anything and at the end it was revaled that Nibali was using the same legs as Froome was using yesterday: those that are tired from trying very hard the day before. #astana Lopez was struggling too, while #champit Aru was having more fun on his own, without shaking up the top  GC like it was Fuente De all over again.

My moment today: I don't have a clue what my local hero #fdj Odd Christian Eiking is doing in this race, he has been nowhere to be seen except at the back of the peloton early in the stage but finally! Sneaking in right behind #astana Lopez and ahead of a few other GC guys. He started the last climb at the back of the peloton and was seen in one of the early groups that got dropped, so the last km must have been one of the faster ones today. It still looks more like training than it looks like racing to me.

• ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 11:46 by LukasCPH »

Recent Posts

Re: Race news 2018 - Rumours , Dates, Parcours , Wildcards etc. by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:35]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:21]

Re: Team Sponsorship 17/18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 18:12]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Leadbelly
    [November 17, 2017, 05:25]

Re: Retirement announcements by search
    [November 16, 2017, 08:13]

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [November 15, 2017, 20:35]