collapse

t-72

• National Champion
  • Liked: 1469
Re: Stage 20: Corvera de Asturias > Alto de l'Angliru
« on: September 09, 2017, 12:08 »
I expect this to be a mano a mano. I expect Nibali to ride like it was 2013. I expect his collection of Vuelta 2nd placings to rival that of Chris Froome soon, because Froome doesn't look like he is going to add one more this year.  :D

Sky has been a very impressive team this year, leading to the usual stream of accusations about lack of panache flowing on social media. I think that's a Stamp on Sky's captain  which Froome inherited from Wiggins and he has ever since struggled to get rid of it. I don't think it treats Froome fair at all.  On social media he is caught behind a rock and a hard place: if he doesn't attack, he lacks panache. If he launches some of the more spectacular attacks of recent years, distancing his rivals, doping accusations fly.

One of Froome's known weaknesses is cold and wet weather. He will need to go fast up the Angliru today, or he might start freezing. If some of the forecasts suggesting a misty windy and wet 10 degrees strike, the weather clearly favors his main opponent, who picked Froome and Contador apart on a couple of rainy days in northern France in 2014 and won the Giro attacking into a snowstorm up Tre Cime do Lavaredo. Nibali is within striking distance, but under ordinary circumstances doesn't look strong enough today. However, really bad weather might be his call to start shining.

Today's sideshow will be Contador's struggle for podium. I think he can make it, Kelderman and Zakharin seems to be more autoestrada climbers and less goat path climbers if I can put it that way. Decent way to quit if he does, my ears and eyes are a bit overwhelmed by all the praise for his efforts lately - however, his comeback since the disastrous Andorra stage in this race has been impressive although I think he would be closer to the podium with fewer and more decisive attacks. Attack every stage, and you'll be lacking something when it really counts OR  :D

We'll see...
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 12:32 by t-72, Reason: Typos »

Recent Posts

Re: World Championships 2017 by t-72
    [September 23, 2017, 23:31]

Re: World Championships 2017 by LukasCPH
    [September 23, 2017, 19:08]

Re: World Championships 2017 by Leadbelly
    [September 23, 2017, 18:56]

League of Legends by RayCip
    [September 23, 2017, 18:41]