collapse

hiero

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 881
Re: The Italian Autumn Classics (Il Lombardia)
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2017, 02:04 »
. . .

Certainly it is an extra challenge dealing with a group of other cyclists at the same time as negotiating a tricky course. I used to think I would be comfortable cycling downhill (I mean, on my own, I am!) but put me in a peloton - the kind you find in sportives - and  I am easily spooked, especially by other riders looking scared stiff. I am scared what they will do when we come to the difficult curves!

. . .

Now, I was, at my best, maybe close to being a Cat 3, so not very good. But I was one of the best Masters racers in town - consistently came in 2nd! But, the effort involved is very much part of the confusion. One can not just concentrate on the course - there are wheels and road hazards and idiots braking etc etc. Even when other riders are not squirrelly, they may act in a way that to oneself might be unexpected, and thus unpredictable - when you don't know that rider and how they respond. And the physical effort does detract from the mental ability to focus - very much. Even if you are not at your limit. Your energy stores are all being devoted by your body to the muscles, the brain comes in 2nd! You mentioned this already.

While I very much believe that the technique you describe is a good one for a downhill skier - I simultaneously doubt the usefulness for a cyclist riding in a pack. You can use any memory aid you want - a km marker, a landmark, so many km into the race, whatever - chances are good you are going to miss the cue because something is going on you need to pay attention to. When things are happening, it's like driving in rush hour traffic in bad weather. Oy! ALL your attention is required to avoid crashing! At least, that was my experience.

With race radios and GPS onboard the cycles, they should do better if they use them properly. Since 4 riders crashed on that very corner, I have to think the teams are not doing everything they can to help the riders navigate. After many races, one gets better at juggling the physical demands with the mental focus, but still, a slipup is a mere microsecond away.
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #61 on: October 09, 2017, 02:17 »
    . . .

Descent of the Civiglio is as I remember often equally as dangerous but how come that that corner had never caused crashes in previous editions and then at least 2 terrible crashes in one edition?

Finally and most importantly, as much as I have always enjoyed Nibali as a rider, I can never enjoy a victory for the Gulf oil dictators who support terrorism and Israeli colonisation of Palestine. I've lost all the respect I had for Nibali since his transfer. Same goes with Rui Costa and now Dan Martin.

Hope I'm entitled to say that because last time I talked politics on this part of the forum, I was censored but this time, politics and sport are clearly related and we cannot ignore that Nibali is working for despicable employers !!!  :angry

Good point about the corner. It's not like the course is a new one! I do have to wonder though, with Nibali out front, and him being one of THE premier descenders of today's peloton, how much CHASING him got others overcooking the descent. Which would be their fault, not Nibali's, if that was the case, of course.

I don't care for the Gulf oil involvement myself - but it is an extremely complicated isssue, and VERY difficult to discuss it rationally today. When it comes time to watch the race, I try to just forget all that stuff, and focus on the race. And on how the people who support the teams act around the racing and towards the cyclist. Give it a little separation, you know. Otherwise, I'd probably not watch any of the races any more at all!
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3507
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    « Reply #62 on: October 09, 2017, 12:11 »
    Nibali wasnt out in front on that descent though.

the accident was when Cherel was out in front ind De Plus was trying to bridge.  Peleton was just basically monitoring (with FDJ leading them)

Nibali didnt attack until the next climb about 20km later
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 759
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #63 on: October 09, 2017, 15:43 »
    Watching that live was scary.

As De Plus went over even Carlton Kirby was quiet and didn't know what he could or should say.

The distasteful replays were tough to watch and it was a real relief to know that the guy will be ok.

It raises an interesting question now in cycle sport. Descents are becoming a problem and it will need addressing.

• ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

t-72

• National Champion
    • Liked: 1540
    « Reply #64 on: October 10, 2017, 21:15 »
    It's the off-season - get thread-creating! ;)
    Wasn't that Vermote?
    Or did de Plus do the same?

Sorry, my bad, for some reason I thought that was de +, but he didn't even start.
    (Lame excuse: watching roadside means I didn't hear a word of commentary... :) )
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #65 on: October 11, 2017, 00:56 »
    Nibali wasnt out in front on that descent though.

the accident was when Cherel was out in front ind De Plus was trying to bridge.  Peleton was just basically monitoring (with FDJ leading them)

Nibali didnt attack until the next climb about 20km later

Really! I'm sure you are sure, or you wouldn't have said so - I am surprised. But probably not enough to go back and review the footage, as I have other things I am SUPPOSED to be doing. Instead of killing time on some dumb cycling topic  :o  know-what-I-mean?  :lol

Watching that live was scary.

As De Plus went over even Carlton Kirby was quiet and didn't know what he could or should say.

The distasteful replays were tough to watch and it was a real relief to know that the guy will be ok.

It raises an interesting question now in cycle sport. Descents are becoming a problem and it will need addressing.

It is certainly a topic that should be addressed - but one also has the fact, at least here, that this is the same descent as past years. Kinda confuses the issue.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    « Reply #66 on: October 11, 2017, 20:42 »
    The VN guys discuss the Lombardia issue on the latest podcast, with Alex Howes:
    VN Podcast 54: Why Lombardia is cycling's hardest one day race
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • Liked: 759
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #67 on: October 16, 2017, 10:52 »

It is certainly a topic that should be addressed - but one also has the fact, at least here, that this is the same descent as past years. Kinda confuses the issue.

True.

My issue is with the TV editor to be fair.

In all other sports when a serious injury looks to have occurred, they do not show the aftermath or replays of the incident.

• ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Latest Roadbooks