collapse

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
  • Road Captain
  • Liked: 760
  • End of season blues...
    • Fendrien
2017 - It will go down as a wasted season.
« on: September 13, 2017, 14:45 »
Hi everyone,

I was just wanting to benchmark with you on how your seasons have gone.

After getting close to my personal bests at the end of last season and ending the year by riding Alp D'Huez, I was full of confidence.

With my children being that bit older now I didn't need to ride the most local races to my house, I could rejoin the club where I had spent most of my career and try and get some rhythm going.

The first problem was a college course for my wife which had her in class on the evening of my new local race. It was also the same evening of the week of the other local event.

But the course was only until July so I trained hard and stuck with my coach just planning to come to form a little later in the year.

There were some April weekend races but I under performed in those with the cold and windy weather taking a toll on my morale.

I parted with the coach in May as I didn't see the point in taking up one of his spots when I was just training.

The big local Fondo of the year went ok, I lacked a bit of speed in the middle but finished strongly and felt good. I was riding a couple of times in the week thanks to parents covering for me when the Wife was studying, but I couldn't ride more than consecutive weeks.

The news then came that the course would be rolling on into September and then after 14 years with one employer I changed jobs adding to my daily commute.

So come the start of August, I took the decision to end my racing season and just enjoy riding for the time being.

How's it been for you?
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1120
    Re: 2017 - It will go down as a wasted season.
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 17:29 »
    Still the same fat, useless, argumentative f*ckwit I was last season thank you for asking.

I need to work on upper body really, but what with cycling, working, eating and seeing something of my kids I can't work it into my routine.

Must try harder.
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 19:46 »

I need to work on upper body really, but what with cycling, working, eating and seeing something of my kids I can't work it into my routine.

I feel like I get so many neck and back pains from having a 43 year old couch potatoes upper body.

The fact my legs are always full of lactic acid and barely move makes that worse.

Have you tried yoga?
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1120
    « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 22:03 »

Have you tried yoga?

No, but then unlike you I'm not a cyclist, I'm someone who needed lose a little weight and gain a little stamina and started to commute by bike and does a little recreational riding too.

I've developed reasonable stamina and strong leg muscles but the upper half of my body is more puny than I'd like. I'm not into gyms so it would be good if, like cycling to work does for my for legs, I could get some sort of upper body work-out into my daily routine.
  • ReplyReply

• hiero

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 881
    « Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 22:21 »
    Well - I could tell you that I've gotten new goose removal clients - which is good news.
    Or that my leg, which suffered a broken kneecap last November, is nearly back to normal, which is also good.

Or that I am still in the autumn of my years and I feel it, and overweight, and often find myself just too dang tired to do anything productive, yada yada yada - which is bad.

So let's focus on the good. And btw, I have to admire you for having made it up Alpe d'Huez. My dogs are happy having more geese to chase. I still get out most days and ride while they run - and it gets me outside for a tiny little bit of activity. All good.
  • ReplyReply
  • Eeyore sez . . .

stereojet

• 2nd Year Pro
    • Liked: 298
    • I'm still learning the ropes
    « Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 09:21 »
    Same as ever for me. Got out on the days when I could, was fairly consistent on my regular loop without ever threatening my personal best.
  • ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 12:15 »
    It was a nice way to go into my break last weekend by riding in Flanders.

I was much better up the Oude Kwaremont and Paterberg (we will leave Koppenberg out for now).

Also managed to get to the Muur, which is steeped in history and was an amazing feeling, due to the Katusha squad for the Primus classic leading us out into town on their recon ride.

Met Cav at the start of Primus (there are some photos from the day here...  https://tmblr.co/Zck52j2Q2dqp4 ) and had a great time at the RVV centro.

So I am thinking I will be motivated for 2018 in a couple of weeks when I go back to my bike.

• ReplyReply

• jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
    • Road Captain
    • End of season blues...
      • Fendrien
    « Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 16:38 »
    Here are my pictures from inside the RVV Centrum in Oudenaarde

https://tmblr.co/Zck52j2QBSCPX
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [November 24, 2017, 21:25]

Re: Lappartient by Echoes
    [November 24, 2017, 12:23]

Re: Musings on the 2017 Season by Joelsim
    [November 24, 2017, 12:13]