collapse

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
  • Liked: 5359
  • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
Giro 2018 General Discussion
« on: September 18, 2017, 13:04 »
https://twitter.com/giroditalia/status/909716257645219840

Going by recent Giro jaunts overseas it is no surprise to see TT + sprints as the order of the day. Did we really expect anything else?
  • ReplyReply

• AG

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 3507
    • Awards: Winner, 2013 National Championships prediction gameFan of the Year 2013
    Re: Giro 2018 General Discussion
    « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 15:34 »
    I wasn't. ... but Israel is a bit of a surprise ...
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 16:49 »
    I wasn't. ... but Israel is a bit of a surprise ...
    The Israel Grande Partenza has been rumoured for several months; it was an open secret by now. But I admit that it wasn't an open secret that was spread wide and far.

I'm happy they avoided the sandtrap of taking the Jerusalem ITT to the eastern part of the city (which to this day isn't officially recognised by the UN (or anyone, really) as Israeli territory. That would have made the Giro very unpopular in some circles, and rightly so.
    This *il jaunt is unpopular enough as it is.

Some people have talked about boycotting these first three days because of Israel's policy towards Palestinians, especially under the current right-wing government.
    Let me say here and now that I am not one of those. I respect (maybe even admire) the decision of everyone who feels their following (or reporting on) a sporting event in Israel would indicate support of said government. I hope they respect my decision to follow the Grande Partenza - because I simply can't not. I'm too much of a fan of both the Giro and of #academy to not watch, and while I have heavy scruples about doing so, I do consider Israel a democracy under the rule of law. Much more so than e.g. Turkey or China, and these two countries will get their WT races next month already.
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6197
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 11:40 »
    Here's a very good piece on the whole "Giro in Israel, sports in politics, politics in sports" issue:
    https://rouleur.cc/editorial/start-2018-giro-ditalia-israeli-dilemma/
  • ReplyReply

• Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5359
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 20:47 »
    http://cyclingpro.net/spaziociclismo/giro-2018/giro-ditalia-2018-anche-la-aqua-blue-sport-candidata-ad-wild-card-rischiano-bardiani-wilier/

AquaBlue after a wildcard too?

Can't say I'd be too heartbroken if Bardiani missed out next year.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Latest Roadbooks