collapse

Poll

What order would you place the GTs in terms of excitement, quality and entertainment?

Giro Vuelta Tour
3 (23.1%)
Giro Tour Vuelta
4 (30.8%)
Vuelta Tour Giro
2 (15.4%)
Vuelta Giro Tour
3 (23.1%)
Tour Vuelta Giro
0 (0%)
Tour Giro Vuelta
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

jimmythecuckoo

• Genius James
  • Road Captain
  • Liked: 759
  • End of season blues...
    • Fendrien
Rate the three GTS of 2017
« on: September 19, 2017, 17:30 »
Its been a season where I really enjoyed the GTs despite much criticism over the routes how they were raced elsewhere online.

I think we get too obsessed with the ideal parcours and stage racer as opposed to just enjoying the spectacle.

Anyhow, what order would you rank this years three and then post why if you can quantify :)
  • ReplyReply
  • The fens are just West West Flanders really...

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1748
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    Re: Rate the three GTS of 2017
    « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 18:14 »
     Ironically, the GT with by far the best stages, was also the worst race of the three, for me. The Tour was a diamond studded turd.

I know the Giro GC was close on times during the last week, but this was mostly due to attacks fizzling out on the rather similar, "tempo" climbs.
     The race didn't even have an Ag2r to at least try to do something different.

The Vuelta had GC men having good days and bad days. It had Alberto Contador attacking at every opportunity and giving the race it's story book finale.

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Echoes

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1318
    « Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 18:39 »
    I can't tell. I haven't seen a single stage live of the three of them.
  • ReplyReply
  • "Paris-Roubaix is the biggest cycling race in the world, bigger than the Tour de France, bigger than any other bike race" (Sir Bradley Wiggins)

Leadbelly

• Monument Winner
    • Liked: 5359
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2017National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2016KeithJamesMC award 2016Avatar of the year 2015Velogames Spring Classics 2015National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014
    « Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 18:40 »
    Asking me to remember races from four months ago is pushing it a bit, but I'll try.

Giro - I can't have seen much of this. Etna was a snoozefest due to the headwind. Fraile's stage win was nice and the only other one I remember is when Dumoulin was dropped by his team just after the start and spent ages chasing back on.

Tour - Must have seen a bit more of this. Too many pure sprints at the beginning, but things improved as we got further into the race. Memorable wins for Calmejane and Uran. Even the flatter stages got better.

Vuelta - The stereotypical Vuelta finishes can get as monotonous as the Tour flat ones, but at least you'll get ten minutes of action and every day a GC rider seemed to struggle or lose a bit of time. Lots of successful breaks too. I got lucky in the final week as well with what stages I managed to catch.

So my ranking would Vuelta - Tour --- Giro.
  • ReplyReply

• Capt_Cavman

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1119
    « Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 13:04 »
    Incredibly little to choose between the three really. All three were very close to the end but lacked a dramatic stage where everything got turned upside down. All three were won by the strongest TTer with the other protaganists failing to do enough on the steep stuff to really threaten them. I too really enjoyed watching all three although I can't say that any were great examples.

Giro - The best parcours, a new and exiting winner, the closest race. But then again nothing much happened so that Dumoulin's toilet break was possibly the most significant event of the race.

Tour - Froome's early vulnerability made this interesting but the Porte/Martin crash robbed us of a real challenge although AG2R tried to liven things up. The fact that Uran got 2nd by following wheels and Landa was 1 second from a podum position says a lot.

Vuelta - A succession of samey stages, each entertaining but somehow not adding up to a whole lot.

So my ranking would be the chronological order, Giro - Tour - Vuelta
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:21 by Capt_Cavman, Reason: Can\'t believe I rote one instead of won »