collapse

Francois the Postman

• National Champion
  • Liked: 966
Re: Froome's legend status
« on: September 20, 2017, 21:26 »
Also, one should not forget that the Tour of Spain has long not even been considered a Grand Tour. Up until the eighties, there were but two GT's: the Tours of Italy and France. Along with about 6 or 7 major classics and the Worlds, they were the core of the cycling calendar up until Hinault's years.

I am certainly showing my age here, but I'll admit, in my head there is still a big difference between the way I look at the TdF and Giro, and the Vuelta. Not so much entertainment wise as the order would immediately be very different, but value-wise. I can certainly understand why Hinault is raising the Giro-TdF double as the (only) one to really impress with. Hinault is a product of his (and mine) era.

And similarly to you, I suspect, I prefer absolute legends to have an all-round impact, and -not least important- flair. Not simply target a pretty specialized type of cycling and excel at that. But the same way I crow about Flandriens who I will not hesitate to call legendary, even if Flandrien was pretty much all they were, what Froome is doing with the GTs is equally impressive in his field of expertise, something which he has sustained. So labels like great and legendary are hard to argue about, through that particular looking glass.

Then the difference between one of the greats and one of the legends becomes more about nitpicking the exact meaning of the terms. I can see why you say no, and others say yes. It might actually be more agreement than disagreement.

I also sometimes wonder if we would conjure up the the same wide-spread heroic images of the sport's older statesmen if they all had been covered with the uniform personality depriving helmets and sunglasses of the current crop. Cycling won a heck of a lot of much-needed safety, but it also lost something significant over the years, (more) easily recognizable characters. And ear-pieces have probably nixed the chance for a lot of the remaining on-road character traits from tighter controlled (but far better paid) professionals to surface.

Sagan is almost an exception who proves the rule.
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: [2.Pro] Vuelta a San Juan by Leadbelly
    [January 22, 2020, 15:02]

Re: Santos Tour Down Under by Drummer Boy
    [January 22, 2020, 13:41]

Re: Santos Tour Down Under by search
    [January 22, 2020, 11:56]

Re: Santos Tour Down Under by LukasCPH
    [January 22, 2020, 11:09]

Re: The Start-Up Nation of Cycling by Leadbelly