collapse

M Gee

• Road Captain
  • Liked: 1446
  • The user formerly known as hiero
Re: Froome's legend status
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2018, 20:30 »
80km and 3 minutes. It is sensational. Even ignoring that, all 3 GTs at once. That alone will put him there.

. . .

You know I wish it weren't so, but I have to agree. Formigal compares, but was shorter, and was a break on the front. Talansky and Hesjedal at the Dauphine - another ride for the ages - but again - it was a break. Dumoulin and Sunweb called the tactics wrong this time, but Sky got their tactics wrong at Formigal. As noted in the graphs posted earlier in the dark side Froome thread (http://velorooms.com/index.php?topic=1314.0;message=2240946, there aren't a whole lot of rides to compare. Landis, Merckx, Chiappucci. I don't recall if Chiappucci's ride turned the race on it's head, but the Landis and Merckx rides did. Formigal and Talansky's ride in the Dauphine did.

• ReplyReply
  • . . .He had the bit between his teeth, and he loiked the taste, mate . . .

Mellow Velo

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2296
    • Awards: 2015 CQ Vuelta Game winnerVelogames Classics Champion 20142013 CQ Ranking Giro Game
    « Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 22:07 »
    Now that sounds fun. Tell us some more. I like a good story and I don't want to look that up. :P

All to do with the affair. Definitely a no no in those days. Sent the Vatican into a state of apoplexy. The Pope said that the hand of God would come and strike Coppi down,  Goddet obviously thought the Pope was referring to him. :D
    At one world champs, she pinched Alfredo Binda's room, as it was next to her man's room. The team boss declared her persona non grata.
     Punishment for adultery in Italy at the time was a year in prison for the woman. Men were considered less culpable. The local police occasionally raided to try and catch them together in the sack.
    The White Lady once spent 4 days in clink and was told she would be released when she agreed to go back to her hubby.
     Fans took to giving them the whistle, wherever they went. It were a right old scandal.

• ReplyReply
  • "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

t-72

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2649
    « Reply #32 on: June 01, 2018, 22:40 »
    I suspect that Froome will be quickly forgotten, regardless of whatever else he might achieve before retirement.

Why? Who can even relate to him? How many kids is he inspiring to get on bikes? His aloof attitude, his horrendous looking form—he could win four more GTs, but he won't be held in high regard fifteen or twenty years from now. He'll be a curiosity, like a strange artifact found unexpectedly and without good explanation. But not a legend.

I tend to see this differently. Speaking for myself, I am probably already too old to judge who will become future legends out of the current crop of racers. Those  legends will be the racers that the kids today learn to know as great ones. When they grow older and get kids they will tell them everything  was better back in the days of Contador, Nibali and - Froome. You asked:  How many kids does he inspire to get on a bike and go cycling - quite a few as far as I can tell.

During the world championship last year,  the local tv station was running around interviewing random young cycling  fans at the roadside as part of the pre-race warm-up. The heroes? "Edvald" "Aleks" and "Fruum!"  The respondents weren't British/South African/Kenyan.  They have seen an athlete only on TV before and now they were here, the kids were super excited. To these cycling fans, as welcome as Messi visiting the local soccer field would be to the soccer fans.

They're in for all sorts of doubt and maybe heartbreak before they establish a mature relationship to their legends, but this is it - the world they grow up in. 20 years on, they decide, but there is no doubt that Froome is a great inspiration for many boys and girls on bikes around here, now. That is at least a start, when it comes to legend status.

• ReplyReply

• Flo

• #1 Alberto Contador fangirl
    • Grand Tour Winner
    • Liked: 4205
    • Awards: National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2018KeithJamesMC award 2016Velorooms Trivia Monday Quiz Champion 2015/2016Dish of the Year 2015Member of the year 2015Fan of the year 20152015 Giro Quiz League - 3rd placeNational Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Fan of the year 2013Best fanboy/girl 2012
    « Reply #33 on: June 02, 2018, 08:07 »
    I think Drummer and Slappers nailed it in these posts. Froome's palmares is top notch, but he lacks that special touch that causes widespread marvel and admiration. He doesn't have the X factor. And for the record, I believe very few are or can become legends. Currently? Maybe Sagan, if he continues at the rate he's going. Nibali has the X factor but he lacks maybe 1 big win - all his GTs were against subpar competition.
    I suspect that Froome will be quickly forgotten, regardless of whatever else he might achieve before retirement.

Why? Who can even relate to him? How many kids is he inspiring to get on bikes? His aloof attitude, his horrendous looking form—he could win four more GTs, but he won't be held in high regard fifteen or twenty years from now. He'll be a curiosity, like a strange artifact found unexpectedly and without good explanation. But not a legend.
    In my humble view a legend isn't marked by something specific, it's marked by his or her charisma, style and panache, they way they win, the way they ride; in short everything about them, not a palmares.

Based on the fact that there is so much smoke and mirrors around his entire career I doubt many, other than  the die hard Sky fans will ever consider him a legend, i'd put Wiggo in that category well before Froome.

Legends are the riders you talk about long after their careers are over, sadly I try to forget Team Sky exist every day....
  • ReplyReply
  • RIP Keith
    RIP krebs

ciranda

• Domestic Rider
    • Liked: 216
    « Reply #34 on: June 02, 2018, 10:14 »
    In the places I look, mostly here and cn forums, people praised the Jafferau exploit and used big words and said it was the greatest stuff ever since the 1970’s or Charly Gaul. But no one seemed excited. It was oh-my-god-froome-is-incredible-man-that-break-was-heroic-4real robotic voice even in writing.

re older post: wasn’t Anquetil from the countryside and worked in the fields as a child?
  • ReplyReply

• Drummer Boy

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 2395
    • Awards: Post of the year 2015
    « Reply #35 on: September 02, 2018, 00:16 »
    Here's a new highlight clip that just popped up.
    The complete descent of the The Col de Peyresourde
    Stage 8 2016 Tour de France
    (Very low audio)

I will freely admit that this does fall into the "legendary" category. I remember this stage-win when it happened, but I'd forgotten just how much time Froome spent in the super-tuck, and how much actual pedaling he did while in the super-tuck. And he carved those turns like a boss. Who knew, at the time, that he had it in him? Straight-up technical descending skills on full display. It's hard to argue with this one.

(I've no idea what's behind the thumbnail pic though.)
  • ReplyReply

•  

Recent Posts

Re: The Academy of Cycling by Leadbelly
    [October 23, 2018, 18:50]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2018-19 by search
    [October 23, 2018, 15:40]

Re: World Championships 2018 by Drummer Boy
    [October 23, 2018, 14:05]

Re: Connect the Dots - Transfer Predictions 2018/19 by LukasCPH
    [October 23, 2018, 09:51]

Re: Mens' transfers and Rumors 2018-19 by LukasCPH