collapse

search

• Grand Tour Winner
  • Liked: 9421
  • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
Tour of Almaty
« on: September 26, 2017, 09:29 »
Tour of Almaty

After the torrential success over the past years, with hundred thousands of people on the road side, and millions of spectators on television all over the world, the Tour of Almaty has finally gone the first big step to becoming a Grand Tour, and was expanded from one fantastic day of racing to two. "The Tour of Almaty will be as spectacular as the Tour de France is", three-time winner Alexey Lutsenko said in a big interview today.

There are no profiles available yet, but the first day is a surely spectacular urban city circuit and stage 2 follows the same route as the usual Tour of Almaty one day race, but with a finish on the Medea mountain instead

For whatever reason, some other teams but Astana are participating again :S
  • #astana Astana Pro Team
  • #vino Vino - Astana Motors
  • #teamkz Kazakhstan National Team
  • #delko Delko Marseille Provence KTM
  • #synergy Synergy Baku Cycle Project
  • #shahrdary Tabriz Shahrdary Team
  • #terengganu Terengganu Cycle Team
  • #teamuz Uzbekistan National Team
  • #ningxia Ningxia Sports Lottery - Lyvall Cycle Team
  • #rietumu Rietumu Banka - Riga
  • #kolss Kolss Cycle Team
  • #pky Pishgaman Cycling Team
  • #bridgestone Bridgestone Anchor Cycle Team
  • #wilier Wilier Triestina–Selle Italia
  • #illuminate Team Illuminate
  • #roth Roth–Akros
  • #minsk Minsk Cycling Club
  • #0711 0711 / Cycling
  • #bikechannel Bike Channel Canyon
  • #teamsk Slovakia National Team
Lutsenko recently won a stage in a smaller Spanish race called Vuelta a España and in the relatively important World Championships last week he was in the attack with 3k to go, so he seems to have peaked perfectly to defend his title and win the Tour of Almaty for the 4th time in a row. On his side he will have Jakob Fuglsang to cover the attacks from the strong competition of Iranians and #delko Remy de Gregorio

Of course the race can be followed live on Eurosport
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:37 by LukasCPH »
    "If this is cycling, I am a banana"

LukasCPH

• World Champion
    • Liked: 6163
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    Re: Tour of Almaty
    « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:38 »
    • #tabriz Tabriz Shahrdary Team
    #tabriz is Tabriz Petrochemical Team. Tabriz Shahrdary Team is #shahrdary # shahrdary ;)
  • ReplyReply
  • 2017 0711|CYCLING PR Manager; 2016 Stölting Content Editor
    Views presented are my own.
    RIP Keith

search

• Grand Tour Winner
    • Awards: Member of the year 2016Post of the year 2016KeithJamesMC 2016Reigning Worlds Prediction ChampMember of the year 20152012 CQ Ranking Tour GameAvatar of the Year 2013
    « Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 09:56 »
    as Kazakhstan is a country of cycling, many young women seem to have came together for a Sunday ride to promote the race

http://vesti.kz/velokaz/241248/
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    • Awards: Staff of the year 2016Staff of the year 2015Velorooms Tour de France BINGO champion 2014National Championships Predictions Game Winner 2014Velorooms Monday Quiz ChampionPoster of the Year 2013
    « Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 13:34 »
    Based on the fancy video maps on the awesome race website, I tried to map the two stages of this race.

Whatever I do, I can't get stage 1 to be the 171.2 km they claim it to be, but stage 2 (with the Pyrenees-like finish) fits exactly:

• ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 19:04 »
    "Alexey is in a good condition now. I think it might be a bit difficult for Fuglsang to keep up with him. In any case, they will ride as two captains. I tend to think that Alexey has better chances. He knows Medeo and every turn there. It will be easier for him to contest for a win there. But it is possible that somebody from another team might happen to be stronger. We shall see what we shall see. But there is a bonus of knowledge of this mountain for Alexey – he knows where to rest and where to accelerate", - Alexander Vinokurov told about his team's tactics at the fifth jubilee Tour of Almaty-2017.

http://tourofalmaty.kz/en/news/398/

Based on the fancy video maps on the awesome race website, I tried to map the two stages of this race.

but stage 2 (with the Pyrenees-like finish) fits exactly

looks like there are no turns though?! :P

Vino also talks about the possibility of the Giro d'Italia starting in Kazakhstan in that interview, by the way :o
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 14:12 »
    #illuminate Team Illuminate arrived in Kazakhstan... no corners indeed :D

(via Simon Pellaud)
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 19:34 »
    there's still no start list of whatever kind in sight, as far as I can see... :fp

Pellaud's room mate in Almaty is Edwin Avila though, so I guess he is racing :cool
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    • Liked: 1471
    • Something about Danish cycling I love
    « Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 20:27 »
    there's still no start list of whatever kind in sight, as far as I can see... :fp

Pellaud's room mate in Almaty is Edwin Avila though, so I guess he is racing :cool
    I watched a very blurry livestream of the team presentation. Def teams there, no idea who most of the riders were. Very fancy pieces of equipment tech wise - drones and the like , and reading the FB page it seems no expense is spared. Perhaps it'll be like some Coupe de France races with SL confirmed on the morning. Odd given all the teams are there.

Heh, I CAN confirm Avilla, he waved very nicely to the camera : D
  • ReplyReply
  • « Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 20:41 by Not My Circus »

LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 22:01 »
    FB page
    What Facebook page? :slow
    All I could find (I didn't look that hard, admittedly) was this - which is the page of some crit they had in Astana (not Almaty) in July.

Anyhow, I can officially confirm the #0711 squad: ;)
    *ch Alexandre Ballet
    *de Jonas Engel
    *de Arnold Fiek
    *de Henrik Hamm
    *it Nicola Toffali

https://twitter.com/0711_CYCLING/status/913868263179898881
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 23:31 »
    What Facebook page? :slow
    All I could find (I didn't look that hard, admittedly) was this - which is the page of some crit they had in Astana (not Almaty) in July.

https://www.facebook.com/kazcycling/
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 08:00 »
    https://www.facebook.com/kazcycling/
    Ah, well, that makes sense. Have a race use the page of the national federation. Not.

At least they didn't just use the #astana FB page, eh? :P
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 09:58 »
    the link is places quite prominently on the official website though, and they are using Hashtags and stuff, everything is available in English as well... so I think overall it's alright.

Lutsenko didn't need to wait for the climb by the way but already won solo today, and by quite a good gap by the look of it

Video of the finish on Facebook

• ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 10:00 »
     #astana Lutsenko takes St. 1 with a solo raid.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZqJERhA4A2/
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 15:12 »
    ahead of Remy and Mirsamad! Nice one

:win :win
  • ReplyReply

• Not My Circus

• Road Captain
    « Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 17:58 »
    And  #astana Astana wrap it up with a stage one, two by Jakob Fuglsang and Alexey Lutsenko.

Birdsong countered an attack by Colombian Francisco Colorado in the last 5km, then stretched his legs, with about 3.5 km to go on the climb to Medeu, to solo in with 12secs to spare from his teammate.

https://twitter.com/AstanaTeam/status/914400157067866113

Lutsenko took the overall for the hundred and twelfty[1] time and Vino was delighted on the podium.  #delko Remi Di Gregario held his second place and Fuglsang took third

The traditional Vino podium selfie #alltogethernow
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BZtL9fdAxai/?hl=en&taken-by=alexandrvinokurov

Bike Channel Canyon's Rory Townsend made BOTD and rode off with the KOM prize and a very natty jersey

The scenery was stunning in the autumnal sunlight and I had no idea about the high altitude skate rink at the finish

1. OK I exaggerate
  • ReplyReply

• search

• Grand Tour Winner
    « Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 08:44 »
    I missed most of the coverage unfortunately... but here we have short highlights :)

...and for complete maniacs, there's also the complete live coverage from QazSport available online

edit: okay, the highlights are sh*t though... basically just some nice images in random order :D
  • ReplyReply

• LukasCPH

• World Champion
      • lukascph.media
    « Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 09:46 »
    the highlights are sh*t though... basically just some nice images in random order :D
    Oh my. :lol

I have rarely seen race 'highlights' that told so little of what happened in the race (at least we had a quick shot of the break on stage 2) and were so filled with self-promotion of TengrinewsTV, the #astana Astana Pro Team & their sponsor Astana Group, the Kazakh cycling federation, and *kz in general.

This weekend, the sport of cycling certainly made benefit glorious nation of ... say it together as one ... KAZAKHSTAN!!
  • ReplyReply

•  

Race Calendar

Upcoming Events

Latest Roadbooks

Recent Posts

Re: Roadbooks by search
    [Today at 12:06]

Re: Cannondale news by Not My Circus
    [Today at 10:00]

Re: Mens transfers and Rumors 2017-18 by Not My Circus
    [Today at 09:50]